Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 06:54 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Well, at least those in 49 states enjoy freedom from Perry
He is a freedom guy. With all the dumb stuff he's done, he's still promoted our freedoms and rights.
Texas has certainly done well during his tenure.

You'd rather have Moombeem Brown in CA or someone like Bloomburg in charge ?

How about ole prison term Rod from IL ?

Old 06-14-2013, 06:56 AM

4,272 posts, read 3,786,079 times

I wonder how the bill would stand up to a Muslim teacher putting out items of celebration for Ramadan or a Hindu teacher doing the same for Diwali.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:58 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
He is a freedom guy. With all the dumb stuff he's done, he's still promoted our freedoms and rights.
Texas has certainly done well during his tenure.
IF he was a freedom guy he'd understand that freedom of religion includes freedom from religion.

What makes you believe Texas isn't doing well despite Perry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
You'd rather have Moombeem Brown in CA or someone like Bloomburg in charge ?
Rather than someone who doesn't understand freedom from religion?

ABSOLUTELY!

Old 06-14-2013, 07:28 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,946,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
In rick's thinking...There is a difference between "Freedom of Religion" and "Freedom from Religion".

Thats fine, thats rick's opinion. Freedom From Religion appears no where in the US Constitution.

Correct, that was his point. It is "Freedom of Religion" in the constitution which implies that people are free to worship as they choose, what they choose, when they choose, where they choose. That means that you don't have a right to demand someone stop practicing because you encountered it. You have no "freedom FROM religion" as you correctly pointed out.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
It certainly does for me. I will not tolerate anyone forcing me to believe anything that I find absurd cultural propoganda. Perry and the rest of his True Believers can take their "beliefs" and shove them where the sun don't shine.

My religion, if any, is my concern and no one elses.
Forcing and encountering are two different things. You running into someone in the park talking about their religion is an "encounter" and you are free to listen, ignore, move along, etc... Forcing is against your will, as in you have no choice.

The problem too often is that people will purposely confuse "force" with "encounter" to "force" another to their belief (ie demanding the encounter not be legal so that one can never "encounter") it.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:34 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Default Rick Perry Says Americans Have No Right To Freedom From Religion

Down here Texas way, lots us has knowed for some time that Perry boy got a screw loose.

Last year, the rest y'all got to see live on tv what we been havin' fun with.

Perry's Cornerstone Speech Highlights - YouTube

Old 06-14-2013, 07:35 AM

Quote:
IF he was a freedom guy he'd understand that freedom of religion includes freedom from religion.
Freedom from speech as well?

Old 06-14-2013, 07:37 AM

20,457 posts, read 12,373,731 times
I am very proud of my governor. Some years ago I didn’t like the guy. In fact when he first ran for re-election I voted for the independent. But he has really grown into the job.

And on this issue Rick Perry is not only right, he is constitutionally exactly correct.

It never was the intent of the founders to hide faith or to force people of faith to skulk in the dark.

In fact the constitution PROTECTS a person’s ability to choose and to express their faith without fear. This modern notion that Americans need protection FROM faith is stupid and unconstitutional.

Kudos Rick Perry!

Old 06-14-2013, 07:38 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Down here Texas way, lots us has knowed for some time that Perry boy got a screw loose.
Good thing about being a Governor of TX is that they really have very little power. They just sign the bills sent their way.

It is time for him to retire and he should give up on the thought of running for the Presidency.
He'd be better than Obama but he'd never make it.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:38 AM

20,457 posts, read 12,373,731 times
Quote:

No. No it does not. Not even a teeny tiny little bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies