Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2013, 12:31 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,539,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
Not Oregon.
You should go work for a grocery store. We'll see if you sing the same tune.
Well, you are right, at least for this Oregonian.

My benefit amount (for two adults) comes to whopping $3.92 per meal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 12:36 AM

3,040 posts, read 2,580,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Yeah, as I say, there are people who get benefits who could likely get by without them, and that's a shame.

Just by way of information dissemination, when determining eligibility for benefits, only the gross income is considered, and while housing and utility expenses are factored in, things like car payments are not.

Personally, I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I was receiving SNAP but also had a super flashy blinged out car or a fancy wardrobe or expensive cable or cell phone plans, etc.

In your example above, I have to wonder if they might have had a revenue stream they didn't have to report (something illegal perhaps) or maybe they got some huge payout or inheritance or something. Makes you wonder.

I can tell you we have very solid ways of ascertaining whether or not a person is working currently, where they are working, and what they are paid and earn monthly and quarterly. We can also investigate amounts of $ held in bank accounts. Things such as tax returns aren't counted, mainly because we calculate by gross income. It could well be that the couple you mentioned above are hardworking people who don't earn much but they went nuts with a big tax return or something. It could be they overextended themselves and will see that car repossessed. Hard to say.
Yeh I don't know what their financial situation was. They car may not even have been theirs. Who knows.
I can tell you I was PISSED though. Lol.
There are many people around here that could use some of that. Damn, not even I or anyone I know could eat like that.

DHHS also just basically said there was nothing they could do.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
Well, you are right, at least for this Oregonian.

So you're one of the people that get screwed while others abuse the good ol Oregon Trail system.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:43 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,338,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
That is interesting because according to the average monthly SNAP benefit per person, you would receive $1.42 per meal per person in your state.

I'm certainly not saying you are wrong or are lying; there could be all kinds of variables in your specific case I know nothing about.

Or are you saying the $3.92 is for the both of you together? That would seem to be more in line with the reported state average.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:45 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,447,174 times
It's amazing how conservatives love government control when it comes to treating poor people, even borrowing from the playbook of the People's Republic of China.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
It's amazing how conservatives love government control when it comes to treating poor people, even borrowing from the playbook of the People's Republic of China.
It's not like that at all.
Theres just too much fraud. And the system is so big, that it's almost impossible to fix that without cutting benefits. No one has a problem with working, disabled, elderly or unemployed getting benefits. Thats liberal MSM propoganda. The problem is fraud. And there are too many unemployed riding the gravy train for as long as they possibly can. And in many cases using fraudulent methods to ride the train.
We are also rewarding people to have more kids by always raising the amount everytime they have a kid. If THEY can't afford to have another kid, then they shouldn't have one.

The system is just plain broke. It was never designed to be this big.
It's like building a Damn with designed to hold so much water and then filling it beyond capacity. The damn walls are beginning to break.

Social Security is the same way. Except the Damn Wall has already broken. The water is coming but we are safe. The next generation not so much.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:08 AM

537 posts, read 740,476 times
Frankly, I don't care to read all the posts, so I'll just chime in (as a four kid foster parent) with this.

IF YOU CAN'T FEED 'EM. DON'T BREED 'EM.

The best birth control is no freebies.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:19 AM

Quote:
It's amazing how conservatives love government control...
That's precisely how you know these people aren't conservatives. Not at all.

DISCLAIMER: This is not an endorsement of so-called liberals or Democrats. I hate them too.

But with regards to "conservatives" we need to keep in mind: there are none in American politics anymore.

The GOP completely abandoned conservative principles back sometime between the end of the Vietnam conflict and the beginning of the Disco era.

Conservativism in American politics is dead. Dead as Dillinger.

The last three Republican presidents we've had have been among the LEAST conservative leaders this nation has ever seen.

What we got now are neo-con, moral watchdog "social conservatives." Not the same thing.

The Republicans of the last 40 or so years have proven time and again they are every bit 100% as incompetent and irresponsible with money and resources as the Democrats and every bit 100% as invasive and intrusive into the private lives of citizens as the Democrats.

Anyone who can't see this, or who refuses to acknowledge this, is nothing but a blind, duped, hypocritical, myopic partisan hack imbecile, regardless of their party affiliation.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:22 AM

2,158 posts, read 1,995,111 times
Quote:
Uh, not even close.
When someone is living off the avails of someone else there are rules to be followed. A sense of entitlement shouldn't enter into it for the one who is holding out his hand.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
Uh, not even close.
When someone is living off the avails of someone else there are rules to be followed. A sense of entitlement shouldn't enter into it for the one who is holding out his hand.
Here's a factoid for you: we are ALL living off of each other in one sense or another.

We live in a society.

We all access all kinds of things that our shared contributions have brought into existence for our mutual, collective benefits.

And remember this fact as well: the vast majority of people receiving SNAP either hold at least one legitimate job, or are elderly, or physically or mentally handicapped.

While there is fraud and there are low-lifes who game the system, and there are some who cold work but don't, they are the exception and not the rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies