Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 03:41 PM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by songun View Post
You can customize your character to be a female in the online mode of the game, and it's pretty clear that you have indeed only ever watched three minutes of the game.

I've played GTA4 and GTA5, and I don't recall any "hos" being slapped at any point. I'm not sure if you realize it or not, but there is a campaign mode that lasts for dozens of hours, and takes years of development between the writing, programming, art direction, and voice acting. Each iteration is a masterpiece in video game design. GTA5 was also the fastest selling console game ever, so clearly there is more to it than just, "driving around and doing random nonsense."

Anyone would claim that it's an affront to women is being ridiculous. The game is designed for men as the target audience, clearly, but why should that be any surprise. I've never met a female GTA player in my life. I don't deny that they must exist, but it's probably close to 100 to 1, male to female ratio.
GTA2 was the one I watched for 3 minutes, and it soured me on buying one of those pieces of trash ever. Glad you enjoy that kind of game, but I don't. Not to say I am one of the anti-violence prudes, because in many of the games I play, I take evil to new and improved heights, if it makes an RP meta goal work.

The point being, GTA is a game marketed for men clearly, and is indeed not flattering to women generally, but it's one of hundreds, even thousands of games, and the majority have female protags, female customization options, and lots of female players. GTA is not the entire gaming universe, it's just one game.

The author of that feminist thing is a moron if she says there are no female protags. It's not true. Maybe not in the 3-4 games she chose to whine about, but in the hundreds and thousands of others...yeah, there are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 11:00 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
Owner of Feminist Frequency, Anita Sarkeesian, made a tweet to Microsoft during E3 2013 about the lack of female protagonists from the reveals they made. The link below is to her Tumblr page with the various responses from men on Twitter who, putting it lightly, showed major disrespect and further proved that the male privilege is still prevalent in American society:

Feminist Frequency's Anita Sarkeesian and Twitter
Tell ya what sparky, go on a One Direct fan page and say you are female and how much the band sucks.

Then report back to us on the "female privilege" you are the butt of.

What's next a protest about how the golf network has all kinds of commercials aimed at men?

Or the lack of positive male role models on fashion shows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies