Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 09:29 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
There's that, and also the food we ate didn't come in a box, pack, jar or frozen block.

They might as well replace the 130 ingredients listed that are basically different forms of soy products, variants on sugar, modified starch and fats on the label with one word - crack.

Same thing.
Don't tell me you are one of the few individuals who actually reads food labels and wonders why there are 115 ingredients in your bread.

I bake my own bread: The basic bread contains flour, a bit of oil, water or milk, yeast, salt, sugar, and perhaps some caraway seeds. That's seven ingredients - what are the the remaining 108 ingredients in commercially bought bread? Any why are they there?

Alas, my bread goes stale after a few days - my supermarket "bread" seems to have a second lease on life.

I people wonder why they are obese - with all the crap that qualifies as "food" these days.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:35 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
You could see this coming, when they labeled alcoholics and drug addicts as having a disease.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:42 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,759,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
You could see this coming, when they labeled alcoholics and drug addicts as having a disease.
You beat me to it. I find obesity, addiction and alcoholism as things that can be prevented. These are completely self made issues.

These are not diseases by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Fat people can take some responsibility can they not? i saw a women that needed 2 friggin chairs in a Dairy Queen stuffin her fat face with crap food and 4 deserts! Then she paid with a ebt card.

I am 61 years old walking wounded and if i got like that I wouldn't be able to move at all. i get 0 aid from anyone, so if i don't work i don't eat or pay rent.

Seeing a 400 pound woman maybe 45 years old spending MY TAX money is upsetting.

I do 160 sit ups every day.... I stand 5'10" and weigh 160..... I can probably kick most 20 year old males asses if i felt like it.

Get fit go do something. Or if I get my way i will farm you and harvest FAT. Setting about feeling sorry for yourselves isn't going to cut it with me.

I got handed a pre-existing sentence, where you can't get a real world job for trying, so I had to fend for every last thing i got and no one felt sorry for me for getting crushed on the job. AIG got bailed out but i didn't and they were my workers comp carrier.

I don't feel sorry for anyone, not even me. I really don't like fat losers and pansy boys whimps.

The idea of a Govt line is a riot. I bet that line is probably 50 pounds over weight.
What? You actually MOVE and try to stay fit? Next you are going to tell us that you eat healthy food. That's unheard of! Shouldn't you be able to just sprinkle some Sensa on your daily grease burger and swallow a bunch of weight loss pills instead?

I hear you, though. If I sat around on my duff all day, I'd quickly gain a lot of weight. Unfortunately, I also LOVE Bacon-Cheeseburgers that I would, ideally, scarf down every single day. Along with a Strawberry shake and an unhealthy serving of chocolate (I love Milka).

You know what I do instead? I go to the gym several times a week, I ride a bike, I walk up stairs instead of taking an elevator (five floors or less is easy), I cook healthy food, I don't snack, I don't drive from store to store but walk across the parking lot, and I allow myself one can of Coke a day (water at ALL other times).

And because I do all of that, I don't have to feel bad if I eat my burger or drink my shake - although I certainly don't do so every day.

It's called personal responsibility and exerting control over your caloric intake.

I am NOT young, my stomach is flat, my blood pressure is optimal, I have zero health issues, my BMI is normal, my heart rate is perfect.

Alas, it takes work, dedication, self-control, and battling my lazy side.

My best friend is much younger than I am - he exerts no control over his unhealthy habits. His doctor has given him lecture after lecture that he is headed straight for a heart attack if he doesn't improve his lifestyle.

I guess he is just "ill" - it's not that he eats like a glutton and never moves. Even he doesn't think his obesity is an illness - he thinks he's fat because of the way he eats and lives.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:47 PM

78 posts, read 53,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Fat people - the only group that is still ok to dehumanize, mock, and denigrate with no repercussions.

Some of the comments in this thread are over the top - good job! Looks like we'll have a few more posters to reward in the next prize round.

lol, who cares if it's "OK" or not. Do it anyway!

Old 06-18-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i am no liberal as my posts on this forum will tell you. and i agree that poking fun at people is done all the time. but there is a fine line between poking fun and being just plain mean. yes i poke fun at myself for being overweight, and i poke fun at my friends for being skinny, but again i try never to cross the line from poking fun to being mean.

If more people were mean about others being fat, it wouldn't be so comfortable to be fat that they would do something about it.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
You beat me to it. I find obesity, addiction and alcoholism as things that can be prevented. These are completely self made issues.

These are not diseases by any stretch of the imagination.
Ah, but they are all addictions and thus, they are illnesses.

My advice: Move to a very poor sub-Saharan African nation for a year and tell me how your illnesses are playing out.

My guess is that these illnesses have to do with accessibility more than anything else. You see, if I have Cancer, it doesn't matter where I move, I'll still have Cancer...

Old 06-18-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
They can thank air conditioning in the south for more than over population. Obesity belongs on the list too.

It's like the far north in the winter, unless you get out in the sub zero weather and ski or walk or cut wood, something you're going to get fat. It's just mathematics. Same with the 100 degree weather in the south.

It was about 90 degrees here a couple weeks ago and I just went out for a walk for a couple hours.

I came back and lost THREE pounds just for walking and I'm not even 200 pounds.

But these fatties can't even be bothered to WALK!

Old 06-18-2013, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua84 View Post
It was about 90 degrees here a couple weeks ago and I just went out for a walk for a couple hours.

I came back and lost THREE pounds just for walking and I'm not even 200 pounds.

But these fatties can't even be bothered to WALK!
That's my neighbor - he knows he's very overweight, he knows it's killing him, he wants to change it, he's home all day, and yet, he doesn't do a thing about it. We live in a community where he could easily walk - this town was built with walking in mind. But he doesn't.

I even gave him a pass to a gym that he wanted to try because they have a huge pool. It's been months - he never went.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:59 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times
People sit around holding out hope that the magic fat pill will be invented. Take this pill and it will make you lose weight, eat only this or that and you will lose weight. If you want to lose weight you excercise and eat smart you don't starve yourself. People are just too lazy anymore. Hell I could lose some a few pounds around the midsection too but sometimes that beer and the ballgame call more than draggin my kid out to school him in some one on one!! Now if I ever got outta control as in too fat to fit in an airline seat then I would put the beer down and the game on the DVR and go get er done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies