Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 02:04 PM

29,609 posts, read 16,598,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
I don't agree with the gay flag or the confederate flag, but what's good for the goose is good for the gander. If you're going to let people fly gay flags, then you have to let people fly confederate flags. You can't only believe in free speech when the person is saying things you agree with.
my comment wasnt about free speech, it was about the notion put forth by the student that a rainbow flaw is discriminatory in some way.

I dont see his argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 02:12 PM

11,762 posts, read 14,677,165 times
This is a good result. The schools do not exist to indoctrinate children into certain belief systems. The student's actions and statements were not in any way disruptive or interfering with the educational process, they were just at variance with what the teacher believed. Neither the teacher nor the school had any right to punish the student for his beliefs, or for expressing his beliefs in a forum which was turned over to the expression of personal beliefs and values.

The news story is silent on this point, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the ACLU was representing the student in this case.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:13 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,582,785 times
Quote:
He should have been fired, but seeing that liberals run the education system you knew that wasn't going to happen. I just hope when I have kids I'll be able to afford to send them to private school.
Why? We both live in Houston, Texas. You are aware us liberals have absolutely no say, aren't you? Conservatives run the show here in Texas.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:14 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,582,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
This is a good result. The schools do not exist to indoctrinate children into certain belief systems. The student's actions and statements were not in any way disruptive or interfering with the educational process, they were just at variance with what the teacher believed. Neither the teacher nor the school had any right to punish the student for his beliefs, or for expressing his beliefs in a forum which was turned over to the expression of personal beliefs and values.

The news story is silent on this point, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the ACLU was representing the student in this case.
And, of course, conservatives will be silent about this if true.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:24 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,912,523 times
Liberals rule educational institutions and indoctrinate our youth with their political correctness, it's time something is done about it......

and this is coming from someone who supports gay rights.....

Old 06-24-2013, 02:28 PM

318 posts, read 626,220 times
Quote:
Student booted from class for saying

Glad to know that freedom of speech isn't dead in this country..........Yet.
Being gay is not natural, if all people turned gay the species would go extinct.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex =] View Post
Being gay is not natural, if all people turned gay the species would go extinct.

You can't go against nature, and even if you do, that a part of nature too.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex =] View Post
And people don't "turn" gay, they are born that way. Why would anyone "choose" to be a part of the most hated minority in the world????

Old 06-24-2013, 02:44 PM

25,999 posts, read 22,192,881 times
With all the assaults on free speech, I was happy to see this. I am SO glad my kids aren't in school anymore! And, you cannot force acceptance and you cannot legislate acceptance.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:47 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,475,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
And people don't "turn" gay, they are born that way. Why would anyone "choose" to be a part of the most hated minority in the world????
Why don't you ask pedophiles that.

The whole questioned posed as a logical statement is flawed. Rapists know society dislikes them. I'm sure serial killers know a lot of people will be calling for the death penalty. Why would the two brothers in Boston bomb a marathon know lots of people would hate them?

That said... I'm not sure certain things need be brought into classrooms. Such as pro-gay or anti-gay discussions. Not in public high schools and public primary schools. At the public university level it is probably fine. Young adults need to learn to discuss and debate with some respect when their are those that have different values and beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies