Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2013, 07:19 PM

22,681 posts, read 24,681,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
There is some interest in congress to get rid of F&F, the sooner the better and put real estate back in the hands of the free market.

U.S. Senators Offer Bill Eliminating Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac - Businessweek
U.S. Senators Offer Bill Eliminating Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac - Businessweek

NEVER will happen......the Scumaticians love having more and more tools to keep the illusion going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 07:21 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,332,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
What part of over a dozen times Bush tried to push through mortgage reforms dont you comprehend? It was far more than speeches to try to reform the industry, but a speech saying that people need affordable homes doesnt even come close to supporting the notion that Bush supported bad mortgages especially when he pushed through bills that would have stopped them.
I addressed those talking points. When someone wants to bother replying to my points you can question me.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:22 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,332,213 times
Quote:
You dont need to control a committee in order to hold bills up from leaving it. You clearly need a better education on how our process works.
I think I understand that a majority in a committee trumps a minority.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:22 PM

57,410 posts, read 26,363,290 times
Quote:
What part of over a dozen times Bush tried to push through mortgage reforms dont you comprehend? It was far more than speeches to try to reform the industry, but a speech saying that people need affordable homes doesnt even come close to supporting the notion that Bush supported bad mortgages especially when he pushed through bills that would have stopped them.
What bills specifically did Bush try to get passed, seems like this was last page news if at all, where was the urgency to reform the private mortgage industry.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:25 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,228,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I addressed those talking points. When someone wants to bother replying to my points you can question me.
Its not a talking point, its a FACT
Quote:
I think I understand that a majority in a committee trumps a minority.
Only in a Democracy, we dont govern by Democracy, we governmen by Representative Republic rules. You should stop embarassing yourself.
Quote:
What bills specifically did Bush try to get passed, seems like this was last page news if at all, where was the urgency to reform the private mortgage industry.
New Agency Proposed to Oversee Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae - NYTimes.com

Bush, McCain Tried To Reform Freddie Mac | Sweetness & Light

Old 06-30-2013, 07:27 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,521,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Sure. I was only saying that it would be nice if someone took some responsibility for their mistakes, as opposed trying to blame someone else for them. Bush maintained to the end that the economy was on solid foundation, even when we were on a free fall. Even to this day he never admitted he was dead wrong.
WASHINGTON — The economy is fundamentally sound despite the temporary "mess" it's in, the White House said Sunday in the kind of upbeat assessment that Barack Obama had mocked as a presidential candidate.

Christina Romer: Fundamentals Of The Economy Are Sound

Old 06-30-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
WASHINGTON — The economy is fundamentally sound despite the temporary "mess" it's in, the White House said Sunday in the kind of upbeat assessment that Barack Obama had mocked as a presidential candidate.

Christina Romer: Fundamentals Of The Economy Are Sound
Exactly. The economy was so sound when Democrats took over both branches of Congress, that they increased the minimum wage saying the economy can support it. I have yet to hear one bill Democrats tried to pass that had an impact to reduce the damage of the crash.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:33 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,521,785 times
Quote:
As I noted, Bush had both houses until the end of his administration. He wasn't fighting his own party over this. So you are left with either he did nothing or he was a weak ineffectual president.

Doesn't matter to me which you want to go with.

I will also note........you addressed none of my points. You are capable of cut and pasting but not coming up with answers on your own it would seem.
Why should I respond to simple-minded thoughtless responses? You tried to claim that the president had dictatorial powers and can simply say something and it happens. I don't know what governement you learned we have but your understanding of our government is fatally flawed.

You didn't once rebuke any of the sourced points presented and yet you want me to go line by line and rebuke your assertion (that's baseless) that nothing was ever proposed to strengthen the GSE or the regulators overseeing them.

You can play stupid but you'll be playing that game alone in your own corner with your own toys. I'll even bet you'll win because you're a winner. You and Charlie Sheen can **** each other off...

Old 06-30-2013, 07:36 PM

57,410 posts, read 26,363,290 times
Quote:
Its not a talking point, its a FACT

Only in a Democracy, we dont govern by Democracy, we governmen by Representative Republic rules. You should stop embarassing yourself.

New Agency Proposed to Oversee Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae - NYTimes.com

Bush, McCain Tried To Reform Freddie Mac | Sweetness & Light

F&F was a small part of the problem, companies like Countrywide and the other banks were the larger issue that was completely ignored. Bush's response to appoint another agency to oversee F&F was weak as was his appointment of one of his old friends to provide oversight, his appointee indicated in 2006 that FF was solid. So where was the concern in 2006, 2007 that the mortgage industry in general was a house of cards.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
F&F was a small part of the problem, companies like Countrywide and the other banks were the larger issue that was completely ignored. Bush's response to appoint another agency to oversee F&F was weak as was his appointment of one of his old friends to provide oversight, his appointee indicated in 2006 that FF was solid. So where was the concern in 2006, 2007 that the mortgage industry in general was a house of cards.
Countrywide and other banks couldnt have done what they were doing without FF guaranteeing the mortgages and if the equity rations would have been raised by Bush wanted to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies