Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 09:33 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Here you go, pretty simple and we all pretty much agree:

Since 1968, federal law has barred the possession or acquisition of firearms by anyone who “has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to any mental institution.”

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives has issued regulations that define an “adjudication” as a “determination by a court, board, commission, or other lawful authority that a person is, as a result of marked subnormal intelligence, or mental illness, incompetency, condition, or disease: (1) Is a danger to himself or to others; or (2) Lacks the mental capacity to contract or manage his own affairs.” This includes a finding of insanity or incompetency in a criminal case.

“Committed to a mental institution” is defined as a “formal commitment of a person to a mental institution by a court, board, or other lawful authority.” The definition makes clear that “[t]he term does not include a person in a mental institution for observation or a voluntary admission.” The Supreme Court has held that an involuntary commitment is a serious deprivation of liberty that requires due process of law under the Fifth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

A person cannot be federally disqualified from owning a gun based simply on a psychiatrist’s diag6nosis, a doctor’s referral, or the opinion of a law enforcement officer, let alone based on getting a drug prescription or seeking mental health treatment. Doing so would actually discourage troubled people from getting the help they need.
Well, that sums up a lot. A high percentage of people are going to need mental health service, sometime in their life. Whether that be counseling, medication or both. In some cases, not getting this help can be disasterous. So, if someone is afraid of having their life ripped apart, their rights taken away, and being bra ded as "mentally ill" tbey won't seek that help. Our resident gun/gun owner haters on here say that's fine. Just so long as a law is in place that allow gun confiscation in such cases. Any wide sweeping authority to take away firearms, from any singular groups of people, in this case, the "mentally ill" is fine. OK, who's next? That's what they are thinking.

The side effects of the laws, they so badly want, don't matter. So long as it IS law. The mentallity of these people has been made, abundantly plain, before. One need look no further tban the elected officials they support. One that sticks out is, Nancy, we have to pass the legislation to see whats in it, Pelosi. This is how the anti firearms crowd views all anti gun legislation. Pass it, pass it!!! We LIKE IT!!! Do they consider it carefully? Hardly.

Therefore, taking tbese people seriously, and giving any weight to their opinions, is quite difficult. The shrillness, and foot stomping , don't help either. In the end, this NY "law" will probably not hold up in court. At least not on the level they are trying to enforce it at. The grabber types know that, but are loathe to give up the toe hold. Thus, the finger pointing and yammering we are seeing from a couple folks here, who support this law and the draconian enforcement tactics being employed.

That this is doing more harm than good, matters not. Our dear resident leftists are to busy dancing their joy at the discomfiture of firearms owners to care. That this NY law sets a dangerous precedent, and could cause people who need help not to seek it, possibly resulting in any manner of harm, is secondary to the warm, fuzzy feeling they get over how folks like me feel about this fiasco. I thought leftist types were all intellectual, caring and tolerant and that their lives are dedicated to the greater good, for all. All, that is, except us types that don't want to let the likes of them decide what is in the interest of our greater good. Such independent thought and self reliance is contrary to their superiority complex.

Down the road a bit, here, as the big plan really starts to unfold, some folks might wake up. It is the sworn duty of the leftist, gun hater camp to see that folks stay asleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 09:45 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Yeah Nancy is definitely a classic wacko. The entire team of 8 are classic wack jobs, and should be institutionalized.

That is a problem in NY since gov cuomo 1 turned the wackos loose to the streets in 1990 and the psych centers are caving in on themselves.

Oddly yesterday my wife received pics of Rochester Psych where she worked once near the point if it;s closing as a secretarty.

It is criminal as to what the state allowed to publicly OWNED structures.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:59 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Not sure why so focused on guns. People, mentally ill or not have sooooooo many ways to create mayhem.

It's funny why the focus on just guns. Look Bath School Disaster. The highest body counts were NOT made by guns.

A determined person will always find a way to create mayhem.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:03 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,244,282 times
Since some here have declared that ANY mental illness is grounds for stripping of rights, what about caffeine intoxication and withdrawal? Both are now considered to be official mental disorders.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:17 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Well, as I am not 10 years old, I won't call you a playground-style name. However, I do seem to remember that IMMEDIATELY after Newtown, and I mean while the children's bodies were still warm, ever gun lover on this forum was calling for tighter restrictions on the mentally ill.

Of course, the rest of us knew that it was just a desperate attempt to deflect attention from yet another gun disaster, but I'd still like to hear how that can be reconciled with your outrage over exactly such restrictions.
It's funny. The "gun laws" are supposed to be to prevent violence.

Did it really take Newtown for everyone to get there?? Our inner cities see far more innocents murdered and yet they've been neglected for years.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:22 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Frankly, the dead children in Newton is the fault of the anti gun crowd. They just refuse to admit it. They were the ones who created gun free zones.

Those who supported gun free zone actually believe a piece of paper would stop determined criminals who don't even care about their own lives. If that's not mental illness, I don't know what it is.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:29 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Frankly, the dead children in Newton is the fault of the anti gun crowd. They just refuse to admit it. They were the ones who created gun free zones.

Those who supported gun free zone actually believe a piece of paper would stop determined criminals who don't even care about their own lives. If that's not mental illness, I don't know what it is.
This is correct, these children's blood is on the hands of the PC directly for the creating of bogus Gun Free Zones that can not be enforced. This has nothing to do with guns or gun laws, just the fakery and PC BS that is insane.

The PC are too sick to understand they are that sick. They need to be banned. We gun owners pass more back ground checks and ID checks than you need to vote.

I for 1 and done with anything PC. I have learned how 0 Tolerance works and will not give 1/1000th of a inch.

In fact the anger the PC life style has created with in me, means i will take from them when I want and what i want as I want.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:11 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Of course not.

So (in follow up) why would anybody believe it was "all true" or more specifically... "all of the truth?"
Well then why are you "confused"?

You state you are confused because the issue is "mental illness" in a case that clearly doesn't involve mental illness - assuming it is true.

I don't know or care if true.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:06 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
No.

Suffering from depression or anxiety that is so intense that it require medication is mentally ill.

I love how this thread is demonstrating the dishonesty of gun supporters who tried previously to change the subject to mental illness.

But NYS is taking an overly broad approach because they are acting not on the basis of "suffering from depression or anxiety...that it require[s] medication" but on the basis of a history of ever having been prescribed SSRI meds, whether or not the patient was correctly diagnosed.

So a person who was incorrectly diagnosed, was given a targeted prescription, and then stopped taking it without adverse effect should lose their right to own a gun?

Old 07-02-2013, 05:55 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
But NYS is taking an overly broad approach because they are acting not on the basis of "suffering from depression or anxiety...that it require[s] medication" but on the basis of a history of ever having been prescribed SSRI meds, whether or not the patient was correctly diagnosed.

So a person who was incorrectly diagnosed, was given a targeted prescription, and then stopped taking it without adverse effect should lose their right to own a gun?
Well that's the kicker. He is saying yes, but only because of the perception that this is what, we gun owners, have said. Twisting of context and intent, to suit. It's a rather limited scope of view, that has given a perception of an opening in the opposing arguement. To a point, perhaps, but it doesn't stand up to scrutiny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies