Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 09:53 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,673,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Doesn't matter. The article said it's to keep the school in good standing as a predominately Black university.
To be fair, it just be that the admin are not being racist, they may be just trying to cover up their **** poor teaching skills, not to make the children look smarter, but to make the teaching staff look more competent.

Oh wait, isn't someone here keeping a score card on me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 09:53 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Most of the kids at my local middle school know more than the kids who graduated my high school, back when. About 25% of the students are on the free lunch program.

A paramedic today knows more about medicine than most MDs did in the 50's.
You have to look at education as a whole..the US.

Sure there are some great schools, especially in the suburbs.
And families hunt down the best school for their kids before looking at homes.
Schools drive where the middle class live.

I'm in schools where 80% and above are on free lunch.
I've been urban and now I'm rural.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
To be fair, it just be that the admin are not being racist, they may be just trying to cover up their **** poor teaching skills, not to make the children look smarter, but to make the teaching staff look more competent.
That's how I read it. The losers here are the students.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:58 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,759,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
If this turns out to be true, do you think these people are racial bigots?

Not the mean old KKK styled, white supremacists, but they liberal kind, the sympathetic, racial bigots, who feel pity for the lesser races, and want to help their unfortunate genetic cousins, by raising their school grades, just to make it fair?
I think this goes directly with the soft bigotry someone spoke of in another thread that has been closed.

I do think its becoming evident as well. I would be highly offended.

It's as if the profs are saying, "oh poor minority. This is their best they're capable of. Let's throw them some discretionary pumped grade".

Who are they helping? No one gets anywhere this way. Same as the trophies for everyone thing we have going on today.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:59 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,834,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I think this goes directly with the soft bigotry someone spoke of in another thread that has been closed.

I do think its becoming evident as well. I would be highly offended.

It's as if the profs are saying, "oh poor minority. This is their best they're capable of. Let's throw them some discretionary pumped grade".

Who are they helping? No one gets anywhere this way. Same as the trophies for everyone thing we have going on today.
better GPA supposedly will help you land a job

Old 07-02-2013, 10:01 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,749,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
better GPA supposedly will help you land a job
I think truly good black students are hurt by AA.
No matter how good they are, people always think they don't deserve it.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:02 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,207,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
Rachel Jeantel is your answer if we have a problem with our school system.
She grew up speaking Creole and Spanish. English is her third language. What languages do you speak?

Old 07-02-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
This happens pretty regularly at HBCUs. I doubt it was the professors just raising grades of Black students on a whim. What probably happened is a group of Black students got poor grades and begged, pleaded and in the more sinister cases I've personally heard of traded sexual favors for a higher grade. Usually Black women students do this at HBCUs.

It's kind of an open secret surprised folks are hearing about it now.
Please.

I guess folks are ignorant to the grade inflation that happens at Ivy league schools?

Old 07-02-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
And that's a big problem. Did they get that job on their own merit or did AA open the door for them ?
I was a female engineer and all throughout my 20+ years I had to decide if "opportunities" presented to me were based on my skill or my gender to further the "diversity" game of "Good corporate citzenship".

Old 07-02-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
AA benefits white women the most. Do you constantly question whether they "deserve" their accolades?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies