Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 06:15 AM

46,260 posts, read 27,078,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Not at all and please do not assign positions to me without my permission. I am against gerrymandering regardless of which party does it.

My view is that districts should be apportioned as geographically neutral as possible.
So, then explain your quote (below) a little more, without bringing "R" or "D" into the mix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
There are no two sides. One fosters democracy; the other is plainly anti- democratic. There should be no gerrymandering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 06:43 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,172,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_in_dc View Post
I have heard Democrats assert that if not for gerrymandered districts, there essentially would have been very few or no Republican politicians voted into office recently.

Is that true?

If not for gerrymandering, would the majority of Americans have voted for only Democrats, much like in inner cities such as Washington, D.C. and Detroit?

What happens when the U.S. moves to a single party system, where only Democrats need run for office?

If it weren't for gerrymandering, the entire Congress and executive branch would be WHITE.

Old 07-05-2013, 06:45 AM

17,441 posts, read 9,262,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
More Americans did vote for Democrats in the last congressional election cycle than Republicans. Despite running fewer candidates than Republicans (more Rs ran unopposed than Ds), Democrats running for the House of Representatives received about a million more votes than Republicans - yet due to gerrymandered districts, they ended up the minority party by some 33 seats (234-201).
House Congressional seat have been "gerrymandered" for decades by both Democrats and Republicans. That's no secret - House Districts are redrawn after every 10 census to reflect the population.

The Democrats usually win the more Urban areas these days and more rural areas tend to vote Republican. More people live in the Urban areas as a general rule and tend to vote in greater numbers. About the only way to get rid of those Rural Republican votes is to only allow the Urban areas to vote. Each District gets a Representative - that's why there are more Republican Representatives that Democrats currently. These rural districts can swing more than the Urban areas tend to do - they were not contested in the 2012 election by your own statement. All this whining about "Gerrymander" boils down to "those non-urban voters" should NOT have a Representative.

USA Map by voting District 2012 Election Results

USA Map 2012 Election Results by County

Look at the maps of Texas .... there are 254 counties in Texas. Some of those red counties are in a blue congressional district - that's just the breaks. They probably aren't happy about that. On the other hand, look at the rest of the State - it's almost all Red and would be all Red if there were not Gerrymandered districts to aid the Democrats. There are only a couple of small dots in heavily urban areas like Houston, Austin and Dallas. The large blue area in the South begins with San Antonio and goes to the Valley while stretching to El Paso .... this area has pretty much always been a Democrat stronghold, but it doesn't have massive population. That's why some of the districts are so large.

Texas is an odd case in many ways - the perception is that Texas is Deep Red and always has been. Not so - Texas has had only 3 Republican Governors in the modern era (pretty much since the end of the civil war). Same was true of the Senators - I can count ALL the Republican Senators that Texas has ever elected on one hand, that would include the brand new Senator Ted Cruz. Texas is very difficult to run/win a State wide election .... just so big with people spread all over most of the State. Winning an Urban center is not enough.

So how did Texas go from Solid Deep Blue to Red? The Democrats blew it and got too Leftist - the corruption didn't help either. Texas could go Blue again, it spent most of it's history as a Blue State - but it will never happen with the "war" on guns, birth control and late term abortion. Ann Richards (a popular Governor) tried that in 1999 with gun control ..... never had a Dem Governor since.

I believe the REAL divide in this country is between the Urban centers and those who don't live in Urban centers. Denver dominates Colorado, Chicago dominates Illinois, Boston dominates Massachusetts, NY City dominates New York State, Las Vegas dominates Nevada, the California coast cities dominate all of California - same is true in Oregon and Washington State.

Old 07-05-2013, 06:48 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,165,951 times
I would be all for letting districts be cut up based on population alone and not allowing either side to have any control in the shape of their districts. Congress seats should never be safe.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:14 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,325,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I would be all for letting districts be cut up based on population alone and not allowing either side to have any control in the shape of their districts. Congress seats should never be safe.
I'm good with that. Nita Lowey is my congressman yet the district she serves covers part of Westchester County then hops the Huson River to cover parts of Rockland County. The two counties have very different needs and it does both a disservice to have one representative for both counties.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:18 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,807,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
It's a sad thing that you don't see that both sides do this....

Why is that, are you that blind?
Please provide links showing both sides,..

Old 07-05-2013, 07:21 AM

26,476 posts, read 15,057,355 times
Quote:
I have heard Democrats assert that if not for gerrymandered districts, there essentially would have been very few or no Republican politicians voted into office recently.

Is that true?

If not for gerrymandering, would the majority of Americans have voted for only Democrats, much like in inner cities such as Washington, D.C. and Detroit?

What happens when the U.S. moves to a single party system, where only Democrats need run for office?
The Democrats complaining fail to realize something so obvious...

Look at your own post.

Detroit 90%+ Democrat.

Washington D.C. 90% Democrat.

Etc...

The Democrats have many districts that are 90%+ Democrat in these urban areas. Republicans have nothing like that. Republicans have many "safe" districts, but they don't have the 90%+ districts all over like the Democrats have.

If the districts are drawn fairly...the Democrats will get less seats nationwide than their vote totals nationwide will indicate at first glance as the Democrats dominate many urban areas with 90% of the vote.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:21 AM

58,994 posts, read 27,275,092 times
Quote:

Is that true?

Gerrymandering is what kept the dems in control of the house for 40 YEARS.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:24 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,942,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Please provide links showing both sides,..

Illinois 4th Congressional District

Old 07-05-2013, 07:33 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,433,082 times
Gerrymandering is how you kill a democracy

You use this to ensure you will be re-electd. You move to a system where the Repulicans and Democrats have no allegiance to the "people" but only party leaders

and I think you can already see the result. No reason to compromise, get things done, everything. You just make your political boss happy and youre re-elected
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies