Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 09:00 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times

Advertisements

I will be bold in saying...The politicians and the ruling elite have their FORCE...it is the military...The PEOPLE have their FORCE - it is police..they belong to us! Militarization of police is a sign that their is power greed taking place at the highest levels...Those at the top should be happy to have their own international enforcers and protectors of their vested interests - the military...The common person is entitled to not have police militarized - The common person is entitled to have their own protectors and ensurers of their vested interests which is a peaceful and civil society....peace is our sole wealth..without domestic peace we are at war with ourselves ----and without proper police protection and service - we may as well be living in a tin pot dictatorship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Right, in a split instant you would naturally be able to tell the difference, wouldn't you?
I get a little tired of hearing they didn't have time to make a better decision.
What was the man doing that made him such a threat? Was he charging the officers? was he ranting and making threats? Was he a known criminal who had a violent past?
The guy had a garden hose attached to that gun looking nozzle. Jesus that could have been you....
I am a shooter and enjoy my right to be such. I support the police most of the time. That said, if they draw their weapon it better be justified.

3,501 posts, read 3,136,713 times
Apparently there wasn't a dog around for them to shoot.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Listen up .... if YOU were to shoot and kill your neighbor holding a garden hose, claiming that you "thought" it was a gun, your arse would be thrown in jail ... PERIOD. What's more, people like you would come in droves saying .... "See!! See why civilians don't need guns? We should not allow the average guy to have a gun ... only trained police should have them".

The police must be held accountable for their actions. They should be held to an even higher standard than the common citizen, because they are supposed to be trained for this, and are consequently entrusted with extraordinary powers that the average citizen is not afforded. This absurd attitude that their primary concern should be to protect their own lives first, and to hell with everything else, is pure madness. The entire concept behind roles like the military and police naturally assumes greater risks than being a plumber. It's the nature of the job, and when police engage deadly force, it must only be done when a real threat confronts them ... not a perceived threat, or an "oops ... I thought he had a weapon ....". No one can be allowed to get away with shooting and killing an innocent person, with an "oops .. sorry about that".

And to hell with this business about these government goons getting off scott free, or with a reprimand, or rarely .. fired from their job .... with a civil penalty paid to the victim out of the pockets of we the people who ultimately assume the costs out of our tax dollars. So we the citizenry are violated and harmed by authorities ... and then we the citizenry then get to pay for the damages ourselves? This is nothing short of insanity.

Police are citizens too .. and they are subject to the exact same laws that you and I are subject to. You kill someone without justification ... YOU GO TO JAIL.

Looked at a few Utube videos..There is one where a helpless homeless man who poses no danger to cops - who is retreating - but he has a knife in his hand because he is crazy...is shot. Not just shot...but shot firing squad style...A substantial group of cops let go such an intense volley of shots that it sounds like machine gun fire...It was as if ALL the cops wanted the thrill of the kill.
If this homeless crazy person were a doctor...a lawyer - or a wealthy wall street type who had lost their mind...They would NEVER have been executed in the street. If they were to execute a person of wealth and influence there would have been hell to pay.

Are some cops sizing things up in their minds? Do some of them think..."we can get away with killing this one - but not that one"???

Old 07-06-2013, 09:27 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Right, in a split instant you would naturally be able to tell the difference, wouldn't you?

If they can't, they don't belong in the job.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:27 AM

People do not understand the real chain of command in society. People who hire a lawyer for instance or even a doctor...imagine that the professional is in charge of them....NO- you are in full control and you instruct counsel- If you find your doctor to be inept - you fire them..I spoke to a young liberal with a medical condition and he asked "What you can fire your doctor?" Good lord people have forgotten what personal autonomy and freedom are. Cops are not some all powerful elite..nor are doctors and lawyers...They are all part of the service industry...We pay them - They serve us. We do not serve a cop strictly on the premise that he has a gun and can probably get away with killing you...That is rule by coercion and threat. Things are backwards these days.

If a cop offends and breaks the law. They MUST be dismissed...Would you fire a cook who stirred the stew with a toilet plunger because they were to lazy or stupid to find the proper utensil? Of course.

I don't understand why your President does not address law enforcement issues. They should be the ultimate concern. As I said - I respect and support police....who are supporting a mandate.........but the question should be asked of Obama -What is his mandate when it comes to the policing of America? Maybe the guy simply has never thought of this..maybe it is just to below him to consider or re-consider. It's not a cop problem...it is a problem in leadership..>Where are the leaders?

Old 07-06-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
You guys can say what you want, but the simple fact is that if you point something that looks like a gun at armed police on a call, they're going to put their safety first and shoot.

Shoot first and ask question later?

How did that work out in this case?

Old 07-06-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
Apparently there wasn't a dog around for them to shoot.
I a citizen good or bad has no real value - then they are dogs...actually less than dogs. They talk about the value of human life...Drone attacks kill indiscriminately...and of course discrimination is now illegal so murdering the innocent is legal.. How can Americans expect to have a safe and civil society when those in control look at life as being cheap abroad? If you look at life being cheap THERE...It only makes sense that you look at life being cheap HERE.

America for it's reckless disregard of life and limb are severely disliked by those in other nations...BAD domestic law enforcement will in time if not already cause a severe dislike by Americans for Americans and the leadership of America. America has a bit of self loathing and hate going on. What happened to that great Christian empire that was held together by the glue of love? The cops ...and the possibly malice filled neighbor who called police - were motivated by hate. Everyone banters about the idea of hate crimes but does not notice that this is possibly one also. This poor guy got hated to death...there is the possibility as we know - that there is suicide by cop...perhaps now there is murder by cop?

Old 07-06-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Classic American gun loving guy I see...American cops get paid peanuts in comparison to cops in Toronto...You get what you pay for...I have seen Toronto cops go out of their way to save the life of a crazy person holding a knife...some cops have skill and some don't.. Blasting away at center mass to "neutralize" the :"threat" is third world.....You guys south of the boarder have capital punishment in some states...we don't..because we are pro life for the most part up here in Canada.

Yeah, just don't take part in a peaceful protest there...

Toronto Riot Police Shoot Unarmed Woman - Point Blank Range | PopScreen

Old 07-06-2013, 09:38 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdmom View Post
First of all, if you are so tightly wound that you can't distinguish a water nozzle from a fire arm, you most definitely should NOT have authority....and a weapon.

Secondly, no one is twisting their arm to be a cop, or holding a gun to their heads. They do it for the paycheck and all the benefits. They have the biggest unions in the country.

Sycophants !

Man Shot Dead By Police While Watering Neighbor’s Lawn | REALfarmacy.com | Healthy News and Information
On the bright side, maybe it will stop male public urination.

"I swear your honor, it looked like a gun."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies