Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 11:44 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I found the section which showed that me questioning the feasibility at 3% was a very valid question.

Its a shame a colleged educated individual like yourself could see it for yourself considering it was slapping one in the face.

Even sadder you continue to call it a pay forward plan while all it turns out to be is another welfare proposal for those who wont pay back their fair share.

Tell me, has there been a welfare plan that you havent liked?
Yes, it is a valid question, and if you kept reading you would of found the answers to those questions, but I guess you are use to dropping out the moment you think you have your answer.

I call it pay it forward because that is what the program is called, not just in Oregon, but anywhere that has run this test or program in various sizes. Should I inform all of them to stop calling it pay it forward cause a college dropout told me it was wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 11:56 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Yes, it is a valid question, and if you kept reading you would of found the answers to those questions, but I guess you are use to dropping out the moment you think you have your answer.
Wrong, you quoted the section which actually confirmed exactly what I said, that it wouldnt generate enough money but still standing here arguing that I'm wrong. Thats weird
Quote:
I call it pay it forward because that is what the program is called, not just in Oregon, but anywhere that has run this test or program in various sizes. Should I inform all of them to stop calling it pay it forward cause a college dropout told me it was wrong?
You didnt use "pay it forward" because thats what it called, you repeatedly attempted to justify the name, and tell us how paying off debt was somehow giving money to other people, but not welfare.

If you think its a pay forward plan just because its called that, then you should ask for a refund on that degree.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Wrong, you quoted the section which actually confirmed exactly what I said, that it wouldnt generate enough money but still standing here arguing that I'm wrong. Thats weird

You didnt use "pay it forward" because thats what it called, you repeatedly attempted to justify the name, and tell us how paying off debt was somehow giving money to other people, but not welfare.

If you think its a pay forward plan just because its called that, then you should ask for a refund on that degree.
Clearly you refuse to read the pdf, so I am obviously wasting my time on a trustfund kid, which is typical for trustfund kids, they are often a waste of time.

Let me know when you actually read the pdf.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:07 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,441,085 times
Damn PGH and Urbanlife, anytime I look at this thread you two are going at each other. It must be twenty pages or so now of you two trying to prove whom is right, it's not that serious.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:12 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
Damn PGH and Urbanlife, anytime I look at this thread you two are going at each other. It must be twenty pages or so now of you two trying to prove whom is right, it's not that serious.
I think its funny that urban jumps up and down and whines about things like "corporate welfare" which entices companies to provide jobs, but celebrates welfare like this.

Him not seeing that if you have to borrow money to create a fund and then charge people 3% to pay it back, but need 5% just to break even, that there isnt any money to pay forward, but he continues to call it one is evidence of the sad state of our education system.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
I blame technology and having too much free time on my hands this past week. The holiday slowed things down at my job.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
I think its funny that urban jumps up and down and whines about things like "corporate welfare" which entices companies to provide jobs, but celebrates welfare like this.

Him not seeing that if you have to borrow money to create a fund and then charge people 3% to pay it back, but need 5% just to break even, that there isnt any money to pay forward, but he continues to call it one is evidence of the sad state of our education system.
How horrible it is that Oregon is trying to provide affordable educational options to the people of Oregon. Don't they know they are only suppose to take care of the corporations while screwing over the citizens of the state.

You obviously know nothing about Oregon.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:57 PM

Okay, we all want education to become affordable for all but the way we go about it is different. Personally, I think that what Oregon is planning on doing has positive intentions but its ill-planned. How do we know if 3% will cover the expenses of such a vast plan? Where will the original funding even come from? Administrative cost are why colleges and universities continue to raise their tuition, therefore the administrators will need to be paid.

But who even says students will take full-advantage of this program? With the degree I have, I would rather take out a loan as opposed to the 3% from every check for years but nonetheless the 3% option sounds good as well if you aren't planning to earn tons of money after college. So it's great for the student, but it could hurt the state in the long run. If I'm not mistaken it says it's a $9 billion unfunded obligation if enacted? The state needs to go ahead and find $9 billion to put into a pot before doing this.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Okay, we all want education to become affordable for all but the way we go about it is different. Personally, I think that what Oregon is planning on doing has positive intentions but its ill-planned. How do we know if 3% will cover the expenses of such a vast plan? Where will the original funding even come from? Administrative cost are why colleges and universities continue to raise their tuition, therefore the administrators will need to be paid.

But who even says students will take full-advantage of this program? With the degree I have, I would rather take out a loan as opposed to the 3% from every check for years but nonetheless the 3% option sounds good as well if you aren't planning to earn tons of money after college. So it's great for the student, but it could hurt the state in the long run. If I'm not mistaken it says it's a $9 billion unfunded obligation if enacted? The state needs to go ahead and find $9 billion to put into a pot before doing this.
Well there is a reason this is a pilot program, so that it can be properly tested. As for the $9 billion. I have only found tgat number in article that keeps getting repeated. The actual hard numbers for a program like this hasn't been created yet because Oregon hasn't performed its study yet.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Well there is a reason this is a pilot program, so that it can be properly tested. As for the $9 billion. I have only found tgat number in article that keeps getting repeated. The actual hard numbers for a program like this hasn't been created yet because Oregon hasn't performed its study yet.
Good; I'm glad they won't just jump into a program like this while not being able to afford it. If this program does well, I'm positive other liberal states will take a note from their book and apply it to their states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies