Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 03:09 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Why do you expect me to answer that question on behalf of the media, of which I am not a part?

I know what Hispanics look like. I live in Texas and have seen them in all races/shades.

Most forms nowadays have 2 sections for race, one where you specify which race you are and another where you identify as Hispanic or non-Hispanic.
Not really it's just using the white non-Hispanic.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:13 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
This dude is ignorant. People have been labeled black and white hispanic for a while now. I worked for Gallop Poll 20 years ago and we had to ask which hispanic they were after answering questions.
Is black Hispanic a race now? What about brown Hispanic, or red or yellow? Let's just keep readjusting the boxes and making new labels to put on them, this way we can all whisper, "look, he's one of 'themmmmmmm.'"

Old 07-10-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Not really it's just using the white non-Hispanic.
T think I saw an Pacific Islander non-Hispanic the other day.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:19 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,520,964 times
the Zimmerman boys are obviously mestizo, but I have heard that George himself considered himself white, so I don't see the controversy. I support the right of people to define themselves as they choose. and this idea that there are no white Hispanics, that is, people of pure European blood in latin America, is ridiculous and speaks to the lack of knowledge some have regarding Latino/Hispanic people. I suppose these same people would scoff at the idea of a black Hispanic.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Then you are bi-racial and really wouldn't fit either race and you mark more than two races on forms. It's like if my ex and I ever had kids, they would be white African-Americans but you wouldn't say that, you'd just say they are bi-racial. I don't get why a real white Hispanic would be able to be used buy white African-American or white Asian-American wouldn't be used.

FYI, some Hispanics do actually have lighter skin and therefore look like a white Hispanic despite not having the white race in their blood. The same as whites who are lighter or darker and African-Americans who are lighter or darker.
no. Hispanic refers to the culture/language. there are plenty of full blooded "white" people in latin America, that is, people of pure European blood. there are whole German communities in Brazil and Argentina. what are you talking about?

Old 07-10-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
the Zimmerman boys are obviously mestizo, but I have heard that George himself considered himself white, so I don't see the controversy. I support the right of people to define themselves as they choose. and this idea that there are no white Hispanics, that is, people of pure European blood in latin America, is ridiculous and speaks to the lack of knowledge some have regarding Latino/Hispanic people. I suppose these same people would scoff at the idea of a black Hispanic.
well, either way, Zimmerman obviously escaped form the box that the liberals place him into, and he needs to get back in his box, and affix the race identifier label on himself, posthaste.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Is black Hispanic a race now? What about brown Hispanic, or red or yellow? Let's just keep readjusting the boxes and making new labels to put on them, this way we can all whisper, "look, he's one of 'themmmmmmm.'"
Hispanic is a culture. black, Asian, native, Caucasian, etc. are "races". I don't get what is so hard to grasp about this idea. Do we not have black, white, Asian, native, biracial, Arab, etc Americans? why would the latin world be any different?

Old 07-10-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
no. Hispanic refers to the culture/language. there are plenty of full blooded "white" people in latin America, that is, people of pure European blood. there are whole German communities in Brazil and Argentina. what are you talking about?
Hispanic is a term the political establishment made up, for political reasons, we should just ignore its use altogether.

This is America, BTW, where people can have literally dozens of races all mixed together. Unless you are a bigot, or a politician, or a professional race baiter, race should not matter, because we have pretty much obliterated it as a nation and as a society.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
well, either way, Zimmerman obviously escaped form the box that the liberals place him into, and he needs to get back in his box, and affix the race identifier label on himself, posthaste.
yes, liberals created racial classifications. tell us another.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Hispanic is a term the political establishment made up, for political reasons, we should just ignore its use altogether.

This is America, BTW, where people can have literally dozens of races all mixed together. Unless you are a bigot, or a politician, or a professional race baiter, race should not matter, because we have pretty much obliterated it as a nation and as a society.
nope. unlike "white", Hispanic is not a made up thing. it just identifies someone with a background from latin America. it is very real. did you not know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies