Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 09:52 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,996,400 times

Advertisements

George Zimmerman's brother, Robert, did a radio interview with Opie & Anthony last month where he discusses the irresponsible behavior of the national media slandering his brother as a racist before any facts were presented. The "white hispanic" comments begin 6:43 and 20:30. Good stuff. Robert represents himself and his family well.

Opie & Anthony: Robert Zimmerman (06/11/13) - YouTube

Ben Shapiro:
CNN still calling Zimmerman a "white Hispanic":
Florida authorities warn against backlash after Zimmerman verdict - CNN.com
Obama has never been called a "white black."

Good point, Ben.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:37 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,603,034 times
This dude is ignorant. People have been labeled black and white hispanic for a while now. I worked for Gallop Poll 20 years ago and we had to ask which hispanic they were after answering questions.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:38 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
This guy's an idiot. Of course there is such a thing as a "white Hispanic" because "Hispanic" is a made-up ethnonym that is supposed to describe anyone from, or descended from, a Spanish-speaking region in the new world.

You can be any race and be Hispanic.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:43 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,546,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
This dude is ignorant. People have been labeled black and white hispanic for a while now. I worked for Gallop Poll 20 years ago and we had to ask which hispanic they were after answering questions.
Yup.

As a black Hispanic guy, I have no interest in the idea that "Hispanic white" is some sort of amazing contradiction. It isn't.

Also, I've never jumped out of my car to chase some random guy down the street, because I understand that doing so is incredibly threatening.

ETA: despite the OP's link the reason why Zimmerman was initially sen as white, was because that was how the police described him. That alone basically kills the narrative that Opie and Anthony are trying to push.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:57 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,773,009 times
I think the thing he is getting at is the inconsistency. The media are quick to identify GZ as a "white" hispanic, which is accurate. But in other stories about hispanics they seldom if ever identify them by race as well. I've never seen a story where they talk about a "white hispanic" farm laborer or a "black hispanic" attorney. It gives the appearance at least that the media were desperate to paint the case as a black/white issue.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:59 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,288,764 times
I assume that Obama is called "white black" by the lamestream media?

Old 07-10-2013, 12:04 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,410,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8n View Post
I think the thing he is getting at is the inconsistency. The media are quick to identify GZ as a "white" hispanic, which is accurate. But in other stories about hispanics they seldom if ever identify them by race as well. I've never seen a story where they talk about a "white hispanic" farm laborer or a "black hispanic" attorney. It gives the appearance at least that the media were desperate to paint the case as a black/white issue.
That is exactly the issue and what the media does. By painting the minority against the majority picture, they feel they are able to get people's attention. All they are doing is really disgusting us. My father's side of the family is Puerto Rican and we are very aware of this and how the news networks like to play Hispanics.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:06 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,288,764 times
Just fence off the cities once the acquittal happens.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:16 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,996,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
This guy's an idiot. Of course there is such a thing as a "white Hispanic" because "Hispanic" is a made-up ethnonym that is supposed to describe anyone from, or descended from, a Spanish-speaking region in the new world.
"White hispanic" is nowhere to be seen on the US census form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8n View Post
Bingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
I assume that Obama is called "white black" by the lamestream media?
Of course not. In their fantasy world he's 100% black.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:30 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
"White hispanic" is nowhere to be seen on the US census form.
White is a race. Hispanic is an ethnicity. You can be both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies