Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 07:46 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

My aunt is in NYC and buys her cigarettes from a guy who does weekly runs for the neighborhood.

There's a big enough difference between $50/carton and $125/carton to make that black market thrive in NYC.

And with a 35% tax on pot in CO you can bet a black market will emerge and become widespread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 09:00 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
If pot was legal, I'd never buy black market pot. I'd buy taxed, regulated pot.

I should emphasize that since pot is illegal, I don't buy or use pot of any kind. But only because it's illegal.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:13 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
High tariffs or complete bans on recreational drugs has always produced a black market. Provide a price advantage to a smuggler and someone will take the risk. Provide a big price differential and lax enforcement and a lot of people will take the risk.

Trying to control the use and abuse of drugs like alcohol or tobacco with high taxes or complete bans, as on opiates, is a criminals dream and a completely futile action for any government. On the other hand the Puritan government of New Hampshire decided that the State should control the liquor sales by owning the stores. it has worked very well. Very few children buy high test booze and the low prices discourage the black marketers from selling in NH. That the state also makes a tidy profit to displace other taxes is also a benefit. Maybe this is the way to sell POT. Use State stores, State quality control and State prices.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:14 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
must be a lot of black market cigarettes selling in new York..
By the millions.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:16 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
My aunt is in NYC and buys her cigarettes from a guy who does weekly runs for the neighborhood.

There's a big enough difference between $50/carton and $125/carton to make that black market thrive in NYC.

And with a 35% tax on pot in CO you can bet a black market will emerge and become widespread.
When I was a smoker, I had a friend get them at the base commissary with no taxes.

Wonder if the Military still get's them there with no taxes ?

Old 07-13-2013, 07:27 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
If pot was legal, I'd never buy black market pot. I'd buy taxed, regulated pot.
Me too, unless it's taxed at a ridiculous rate. Then I would grow my own or go to the black market.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:35 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
High tariffs or complete bans on recreational drugs has always produced a black market. Provide a price advantage to a smuggler and someone will take the risk. Provide a big price differential and lax enforcement and a lot of people will take the risk.

Trying to control the use and abuse of drugs like alcohol or tobacco with high taxes or complete bans, as on opiates, is a criminals dream and a completely futile action for any government. On the other hand the Puritan government of New Hampshire decided that the State should control the liquor sales by owning the stores. it has worked very well. Very few children buy high test booze and the low prices discourage the black marketers from selling in NH. That the state also makes a tidy profit to displace other taxes is also a benefit. Maybe this is the way to sell POT. Use State stores, State quality control and State prices.
I agree with the first part of your post. But government should be in the business of protecting citizens, not commerce.

Anything that government run liquor stores can do can also be done by private business even better.

There is no way that government liquor stores control underage drinking better than private business. The reason there is not a large black market for liquor is because it is so readily available for everyone.

Oh, and guess what. NH prices are NOT cheaper. I checked.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:20 AM

510 posts, read 889,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
I am surprised there is no black market in gasoline. Why can't someone buy a tanker truck from the refinery and sell from their back yard?
A few years ago there was a big black market for gasoline in Texas/Mexico. The gas prices were much higher in Mexico than they were in Texas. So what would happen is people would install huge gas tanks on big vehicles like suburbans or escalades or pick-ups, then fill up in Texas drive to a Mexican border town and have all but enough fuel to get back to Texas drained.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:23 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,242,601 times
Default Here is a way to ensure that the black market thrives

Hire more blacks?

Old 07-13-2013, 12:08 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
And it will thrive in the future with a 35% tax. It's not silly at all.

60% to 90% of cigarettes in NYC were not bought there.

People are not stupid. They always seek cheaper alternatives.
Yep people aren't stupid, they will always seek cheaper alternatives regardless of if the high price is due to production cost or taxes. That's why we are sending even more jobs to other countries.

Government will tax everything it can even your pot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies