Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 10:57 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times

Advertisements

A U.S. senator says a low-cost, high-tech cable sensor system could be planted along the Canada-U.S. border to boost security without impeding business.

Montana Democrat Senator Jon Tester, who will chair a special field meeting of the U.S. Senate homeland security committee today focusing on the northern border, said cutting-edge technology, private partnerships and bilateral collaboration are key to closing potentially critical gaps — especially at expansive unmanned stretches.

"I think there’s some real opportunity to save money and get better border security," Tester told CBC News. "I'm not talking drones here, I’m talking low-level radar. I’m talking things like Blue Rose technology, where you can lay a cable in the ground and determine whether a gopher runs over it, or a human being, or a horse."

Blue Rose is an in-ground perimeter defence and security system developed by the Naval Undersea Warfare Center and based on fibre optic technology. According to an abstract summary prepared for Homeland Security, the system detects the sound and vibration of intruders, such as people and vehicles, moving near the sensor.

System would detect, distinguish intruders

It has potential border security applications that could reduce manning requirements and overall costs, according to the abstract, but it is not yet being used along the Canada-U.S. border.

Sheriffs, border patrol agents and business representatives will be among the panelists at the hearing in Montana. With $600 million in trade and 130,000 jobs at stake in Montana alone, tackling the security challenges of the remote, largely agricultural border is critical to the economy, Tester said.
With money tight on both sides of the border, costs of implementing and maintaining the program could be worked out and shared by the two countries, he said.

Surveillance technology could monitor who’s coming to the border, could prevent drug smuggling and terrorism, and is particularly effective in vast areas like Montana.

"I don't think we need a border guard every thousand feet — I do think there are opportunities with technology to save money and help secure the border," he said.
Technology at expense of human resources?

Jean-Pierre Fortin, national president of the Customs and Immigration Union in Canada, said there could be environmental concerns about ripping up land to install sensor cable. He also worries about the trend of increased reliance on technology and equipment for security over human personnel.
"Right now we’re going down a slippery slope because you do need the right balance between the facilitation of the public and merchandise versus national security," he said.
Keep border 'unpredictable'

Fortin said the best way to keep the border secure is to keep it "unpredictable." Rather than using more automation, mobile teams of officers strategically placed and able to intervene when necessary would bolster security, he said.

Don Brostrom, the sheriff in Montana's Hill County, said an expansive terrain, sparse population and scarce resources make the border vulnerable to exploitation – and securing it a challenge. But he believes the bottom line for security is collaboration and communication between U.S. and Canadian authorities.

"You can throw money at it, you can throw technology at it, but you simply need to get together and talk, whether it’s a formal meeting or over a coffee," he said. "The majority of the problems and issues we have we can work out as long as we communicate."
Source: U.S. eyes high-tech security boost at Canadian border - News - MSN CA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 11:00 AM

I am for stopping terrorists but pretty sure a good chunk of the heroin, Cocaine and hard other drugs are coming through your southern border and then through the U.S. and cross into Canada since not many Drug cartels wars and pot is the only drug that is coming out of Canada and into the U.S.

Plus replacing border agents jobs by a fiber optic cable puts highly trained a skilled people out of jobs and that hurt both sides and that is an idea that hurts employment and is not a secure as a tined border patrol agent using their training experience and gut feelings to decide what is going on and his idea makes no sense other than a warning system.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:03 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Sounds like great boondoggle to make some crony rich and grow guv at the same time.

A better plan would be to end the drug war and the occupation of foreign lands.

If the canuks dont like it they put up their own $$$

Old 07-12-2013, 11:07 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,463,986 times
If the wire is so sensitive that even a gopher would set it off, then CBP would have to spend a lot of time and resources chasing illegal gophers.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:21 AM

Plus technically the pot that cross out of B.C. is going into a state that has it legalized and in a good twist it is still illegal 9n B.C. at the provincial and federal level so that make no sense a funny side note of how Western Washington is way a head of us on having marijuana decriminalized So much that they are not debating it anymore but had the people in the state vote yes to legalize it and it was a majority in favour of making legal to posses amounts for personal use and I Hope B.C. takes your lead and does the same.

Heck a year or two ago most would of thought it would of been B.C. who did it first so congrats on leading on dealing with pot issues and laws that are just so out of sync with the rest of the PNW region and not staying in a grey area semi-legal limbo.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
If the wire is so sensitive that even a gopher would set it off, then CBP would have to spend a lot of time and resources chasing illegal gophers.
yeah and then we have to catch and deport it and it may dace criminal charges in both countries and hjave to do some time in both Canada and the U.S. and have permanent record and be denied entry if it tries to cross at the border legally and put on fly list.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:28 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Sounds like great boondoggle to make some crony rich and grow guv at the same time.

A better plan would be to end the drug war and the occupation of foreign lands.

If the canuks dont like it they put up their own $$$
It wasn't a "Canuk" that proposed the idea it was a Muritard.

And as evidenced we're not averse to paying your share for stuff as well:

New International Trade Crossing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-12-2013, 11:32 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
"This new technology is the secure this nations largest border" said Montana Domocratic Senator John Tester, "the border is porous, allowing dangerous hockey players and illegal maple syrup to gain entry to this country unchecked, affecting lives of countless American citizen with their physical style of play (sans the Canucks because everyone knows they are divers) and sweet surgery maple syrup goodness putting American syrup makers out of business." The senator later warned that continued unfettered access through the northern border would lead to Americans being forced to learn French.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:04 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
"This new technology is the secure this nations largest border" said Montana Domocratic Senator John Tester, "the border is porous, allowing dangerous hockey players and illegal maple syrup to gain entry to this country unchecked, affecting lives of countless American citizen with their physical style of play (sans the Canucks because everyone knows they are divers) and sweet surgery maple syrup goodness putting American syrup makers out of business." The senator later warned that continued unfettered access through the northern border would lead to Americans being forced to learn French.
You forgot to mention the marauding bands of raping and pillaging, armed with sticks, Lacrosse players.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:14 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
I was a healthy athletic American, I had a future. Then I was seduced by a Canadian Maple syrup pusher. He gave me free samples and watched as my addiction took root. Soon I was licking my fingers, licking the plate in public. I didn't care.... I needed more. I tried the imitation syrups. They sucked, I needed the real deal. I tried Vermont Maple syrup it was good, but there is just something about the Canadian syrups. Soon I was pawning my jewelry, my car even sold my dog just to feed my habit. Now I sit on street corners with my sign and plate of pancakes. I will work for Canadian Maple syrup. Please Please I need help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies