Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 07:55 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times

Advertisements

Malala Celebrates 16th Birthday With U.N. Address | TIME.com

Quote:
Speaking to youth leaders from more than 100 countries, she called for “a
global struggle against illiteracy, poverty and terrorism.”

“Let us pick up our books and our pens,” she said. “They are our most
powerful weapons. One child, one teacher, one book, and one pen can change the
world. Education is the only solution.”

An educated constituency is a powerful constituency. Those who wish to suppress education are those who wish to suppress the rights of the people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 08:26 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,471,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post

An educated constituency is a powerful constituency. Those who wish to suppress education are those who wish to suppress the rights of the people.
The mastermind of the 9-11 bombing was a mechanical engineer. He received his bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering in the United States.

His treatment in secret CIA prisons in Romania and Poland were as Satanic as you can get.

I couldn't survive and no man can. If Americans were caught and treated the same way by enemy forces they would not survive it.

Dislike of Americans has nothing to do with "education" (though the young lady is right it is connected to illiteracy and poverty) it has to do with the rather hateful character or so many people that are American. I'm not Muslim and frankly I'm not sure the enemies of the United States are not right about America.

And you have people in the U.S. openly embrace Satan. Few Muslims even with more than one Ph.D. and world traveled will tolerate the Satanic.

Americans are not "educated" as much as they are indoctrinated. They are told what the right answer is. That's different that the pedagogy of being presented an issue or problem and asked to bring resolution to the issue or problem and to persuasively and logically defend your position, your reasons.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:43 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
The problem is when you are inundated with liberal ideologes throughout high school and college.

What the speaker said rings true if the education system is used to educate, not indoctrinate.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:49 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
The problem is when you are inundated with liberal ideologes throughout high school and college.

What the speaker said rings true if the education system is used to educate, not indoctrinate.

That's is the absolute truth! One mans education, might just be a ideologist's teachings. The educational system has become a soap box for radicals from the sixties. Their ends justify the means, and they found that using children is far more effective than violence in the streets.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:16 PM

32,067 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post

That's is the absolute truth! One mans education, might just be a ideologist's teachings. The educational system has become a soap box for radicals from the sixties. Their ends justify the means, and they found that using children is far more effective than violence in the streets.

That's absurd

Old 07-12-2013, 10:02 PM

893 posts, read 1,207,273 times
This is the truth. There is literally no reason that anyone under the age of 30 right now should be ignorant about anything. All you have to do is spend a little time online and you can literally teach yourself anything.

For instance, tonight I spent a few hours researching a star that is about 297 light years away and is only visible from the southern hemisphere (aka, I can't even go outside and look at it even if I had the tools to). I'm no astrophysicist, or anything close to that, I was just bored and interested in it.

I was working with radial velocity and transit data that was acquired by some top universities in California, Arizona, and Japan (I've never been to any of these locations) and found some information on the Russian wiki page for the star that was absent from our English version (I don't speak Russian and can't even read their alphabet).

After a few hours I was able to help confirm that the star is lacking chromospheric activity because it is not emitting Calcium II, Hydrogen, or Potassium.

So, in summary, I used information from places I've never been and a language I don't speak to help other people I've never met study a star that I can't even see.

AKA there is no reason for anyone to be ignorant about anything anymore. There is no reason for anyone to have an uninformed opinion anymore. Some people might think it's unbelievable that I was able to do all that tonight, but I think it's unbelievable that there are still people out there who CAN'T do that yet.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:09 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post

Those who wish to suppress choice in education are suppressing the rights of people.

Obama was “strongly opposed” to a bill reviving and expanding the DC Opportunity Scholarship Program, one day before the measure championed by House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) is scheduled for a vote on the House floor. School Choice: Vouchers

Or was Obama saying that both Catholic schools and Protestant schools should be eliminated, because any such “sectarian” institution “encourages division and discourages cooperation.” herd all the kids into purely secular schools.
Obama Wants to Eliminate Catholic Education?

Where is the choice. Is choice not people's right in America or is Obama a dictator?

Old 07-12-2013, 10:13 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,471,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post

I have no problem with liberal views so long as they are reasonable. But what's reasonable? Good point.

If the person can argue a good reason why X should be favored then fine. But I will also have to weigh it against the ethical/moral code I received. An example is finding out homosexuality is genetically heritable. From a pure logic and science point of view we could abort the unborn carrying the genes. And we could also isolate homosexuals, maybe permanently quarantine them, and let them die off. If we regard the trait as undesirable. But even if that may be logical I'd have to weigh that with my own moral codes.

I'm not against persuasive (emotive) speech either. As long as some logic is laced in with it. Martin Luther King was excellent at combing both. Great orators like King and Hilter can move people.

But if "education" has not provided a person with tools to question what they are hearing, especially when others around them say this is the right thing to believe and do, then just as you pointed out that so-called education is useless.

I get attacked on this board by people that may or may not regard themselves as liberal for using my education.

I hate philosophy and I hate formal symbolic logic even worse. But what was the point of me taking it if I was not going to apply it to real life questions and issues?

So, "education" even in the U.S. is not going to solve anything. People want to be indoctrinated.

If, then statements are basic to logic. One can apply it to all sorts of questions in life, like female education in Afghanistan. You can apply it to your deliberation over whether you should rob a store, too, I guess.

Logic -Conditional IF...THEN

Quote:
In logic, a conditional is a compound statement formed by combining two sentences (or facts) using the words "if ... then." A conditional can also be called an implication.
Quote:
Conditionals are FALSE only when the first condition (if) is true and the second condition (then) is false. All other cases are TRUE.
Introduction to logic. Necessary and sufficient.

Quote:
LOGIC, WE COULD SAY, is the study of If-then sentences.
A lot of liberal rhetoric is based on persuasive (emotional) arguments. Not logic.

You'll find conservatives using persuasive (appeals to the emotions) arguments too rather than logical (appeal to reason) arguments.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:16 PM

32,067 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Those who wish to suppress choice in education are suppressing the rights of people.

Obama was “strongly opposed” to a bill reviving and expanding the DC Opportunity Scholarship Program, one day before the measure championed by House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) is scheduled for a vote on the House floor. School Choice: Vouchers

Or was Obama saying that both Catholic schools and Protestant schools should be eliminated, because any such “sectarian” institution “encourages division and discourages cooperation.” herd all the kids into purely secular schools.
Obama Wants to Eliminate Catholic Education?

Where is the choice. Is choice not people's right in America or is Obama a dictator?
Catholic schools have been closing for decades because of enrollment. Why blame it on Obama

Old 07-12-2013, 10:23 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Catholic schools have been closing for decades because of enrollment. Why blame it on Obama
Why don't you listen to what he says once in awhile. I mean get your head out of la la land and really listen. And by the way, during a speech in Northern Ireland for the G8 Summit when obama spoke out against religious schools.

We are a free country and if I want to go to a religious school I can. If he don't like our way of life why doesn't he go to some country where they like dictators.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies