Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 09:29 AM

29,626 posts, read 16,611,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Exactly. And that's why kids being homeschooled on just a few dollars worth of books and supplies are outperforming the kids in the very expensive public schools.
Your comment makes no sense.

Parents who home school dont pay themselves a salary, that one child doesnt have a school bus, or the cost of a entire buildings electricity bill or a football,baseball basketball team, or the cost of eating each day.

all of that is added into the cost of educating a child in public education, not one who is home schooled

if you simply compared the cost of books then it is the same, probably cheaper considering the school orders in bulk while that parent was only able to buy one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 09:30 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,220,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
The problem is when you are inundated with liberal ideologes throughout high school and college.

What the speaker said rings true if the education system is used to educate, not indoctrinate.
Just because you're exposed to ideas of any kind doesn't mean that you take them on as your own. That's the goal of an education--to teach you to analyze information and ideas, and to think for yourself vs. blindly follow what someone else tells you. For the record, this "liberal indoctrination" argument is getting pretty old. I have two degrees and no one indoctrinated me. My husband has three an no one indoctrinated him. My oldest son is in college now and he's not being indoctrinated either. That whole line is a complete fantasy by people who are afraid of higher education because (gasp) educated people take the information presented and analyze it, and upon analysis, a lot of what some of you spout doesn't hold up.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:38 AM

1,999 posts, read 2,477,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
America: Where the servants of the man in the sky offer the best education.
Actually, it's in a lot of places around the world. This would include developing nations. People from Brazil have told me the private schools (generally Catholic) are the best schools until you get to the university level. Then the state universities are supposed to be the best. I think in Brazil (as in Mexico too) the state universities are free. But you have to compete to get into them. But I might be wrong about that. Someone from Brazil can correct me if I'm wrong.

In Milwaukee Marquette University (Catholic/Jesuit) and MSOE are probably the better than UW-Milwaukee and the rest of the universities and college including the other Catholic ones. The Medical College of Wisconsin being excepted due to its specialty. Medical College of Wisconsin

Marquette is the only dental school in the country and rated by some as the top dental school in the country. It also is one of two law schools in the state. It has a school for physician assistants too, which reasonably, has a 100% placement rate after graduation.

Locally, Marquette host a forum for public discussions. Mike Gousha: On the Issues Events | Marquette University Law School

With respects to Mitt Romney I'm sure you recognize the face of the fellow to the right.

Quote:
Mike Gousha serves as a Distinguished Fellow in Law and Public Policy at Marquette University Law School. He joined Marquette in January of 2007 after concluding a 25 year career at WTMJ-TV in Milwaukee. In his role at Marquette, Gousha organizes and coordinates forums and conferences which address important public policy issues.
Such as:

Quote:
On the Issues: Gil Kerlikowske, Director of the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy

Category:

• Date: Wednesday, March 6, 2013
  • Time: 12:15pm

DESCRIPTION
Is legalizing drugs the only option for reforming our national drug policies? Often referred to as the nation’s “drug czar,†Director Kerlikowske is charting a new course to reduce illicit drug use and its consequences in the United States. The former Seattle police chief rejects what he calls “the false choice between an enforcement-centric war on drugs and the legalization of drugs.†During his visit to Eckstein Hall, Kerlikowske will outline a “21st Century†approach to drug policy, one that treats the nation’s drug problem as a public health issue, not just a criminal justice issue. 12:15 to 1:15 p.m., Marquette Law School, Eckstein Hall.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:43 AM

1,963 posts, read 1,826,054 times
The richest organization in the world proselytizing the populaces of developing nations is not news to me.

I'm not saying they arent producing intelligent students, just that its a sad state of affairs when you go to the faith store to buy logic.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:41 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,619,694 times
Whoever takes hold of education has the power to shape tomorrow's adults.
And from where I stand and what I see, a "smart" populace is not in our future.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:53 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,561,040 times
The problem is propaganda, not the presence or lack of state education. In fact, most state education these days IS propaganda, just as it was in the Soviet Union and Nazi Germany. None of the education in those countries stopped massive slaughter and in fact, it helped to create the slaughter.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:41 AM

41,109 posts, read 25,793,978 times
Question is, personal finance being the thing that is important to everyone yet they don't teach it in high school. Why is that? Everyone should understand how to handle money but they don't teach it for a reason.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:09 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,144,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Just because you're exposed to ideas of any kind doesn't mean that you take them on as your own. That's the goal of an education--to teach you to analyze information and ideas, and to think for yourself vs. blindly follow what someone else tells you.
I'd agree but that assumes you're being exposed to multiple ideas which is apprently not happening in many of these schools. It's quite clear that most teachers are liberal and to expect that their personal beliefs are not going to creep into what they are teaching is being naive.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:25 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,561,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Question is, personal finance being the thing that is important to everyone yet they don't teach it in high school. Why is that? Everyone should understand how to handle money but they don't teach it for a reason.
They don't teach it because it's impossible to be a leftist if you can do 9th grade level math.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:56 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,220,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'd agree but that assumes you're being exposed to multiple ideas which is apprently not happening in many of these schools. It's quite clear that most teachers are liberal and to expect that their personal beliefs are not going to creep into what they are teaching is being naive.
First--explain to me just exactly what the difference is between liberal calculus and conservative calculus? Liberal biology or conservative biology? Liberal vs. conservative Rhetoric, or speech, or foreign language, etc. etc. etc. Most classes don't even deal with politics or social issues in any way.

Second, except in very early introductory classes, you don't just memorize the book or what your professors say in classes that DO deal with social issues, whether it's a lit, history, political science class, etc. Once you're past the core classes, a good chunk of the work is research papers where YOU come up with a premise, research it, and defend it. You have professors with all different viewpoints, but your grade is based on how well you research and defend your own work. I was a political science undergrad, and I had professors with every viewpoint under the sun. What mattered, regardless of the topic I chose, was the reasoning, thought and research that I put into my own work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies