Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2013, 02:23 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
"Scuse me? Trayvon had a bullet wound.
Scuse me? He got that wound AFTER attacking George.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 02:26 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient1 View Post
When Is Self-Defense Justified?

I'll make that decision on the spot if and when the need arrises.
Thats what it boils down to. Hypothetical situations and theoretical reactions don't matter when it's for real. When its the real deal, and your dosed on adrenaline, EVERYTHING changes. Adrenaline can be both friend and foe. Knowing how to channel it does not come easy, and there sure isn't a playbook to follow.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:43 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Your brief statement contains so many errors, I barely know where to begin.

The fact SYG was not part of Zimmerman's defense at the trial does not mean SYG did not play a huge role in determining how this case played out.

SYG was the reason Zimmerman was not taken into custody when the shooting originally occurred. In fact, police just let him go. That was only possible because of SYG. Zimmerman was only interrogated after mass protests caused the special prosecutor to charge him.

The fact Zimmerman was injured is in his struggle with Martin in no way bolsters his claim of self-defense. The entire chain of events that ended in Martin's death was set in motion by Zimmerman. Had he listened when police told him not to follow Martin, there would have been no fight. Had there been no fight, Zimmerman would never have been injured, and Martin would still be alive.

As for people committing acts of violence in the wake of the verdict, very few people have done so. The vast majority of protests have been peaceful. To suggest the tiny minority who became violent represent all the protesters is just slander.

Let's be honest. If a black man had gunned down an unarmed white teenager, people like you, who are now defending Zimmerman, who say this was not a racial issue, would be screaming about how the shooting was an "anti-white hate crime" and demanding the death penalty. And you know what? You'd get it, too.
The errors are on you, Sir.

Zimmerman was not arrested because there was no probable cause. Evidence at the scene agreed with what he claimed: self-defense that was. Why should he be arrested? Did SYG play a role? Probably not as Zimmerman was not in a position to retreat.

The fact that Zimmerman had the type of injury consistent with what he claimed is huge. It helped that he was not arrested at first. It also helped when under tremendous political pressure, the jury gave a Not Guilty verdict.

The death of Travyon was set in motion when Travyon decided to attack Zimmerman, or a wrong victim selection process. Had Travyon not attacked Zimmerman or committed felony assault, he would still be alive.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
No Law against it. It's just that most people not wearing a waterproof outfit are usually seen running from shelter to shelter to avoid the rain. Of course, anyone that would be casing a townhouse to later steal something would loiter around.

Not saying Trayvon was casing it, but he made it look like he was. And that is what the profiling is all about.
Maybe it wasn't raining when Trayvon left for the 7-11. Who knows? Do you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Scuse me? He got that wound AFTER attacking George.
No one knows who started the altercation. Don't hurt yourself smacking your head.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Maybe it wasn't raining when Trayvon left for the 7-11. Who knows? Do you?

No one knows who started the altercation. Don't hurt yourself smacking your head.
So Zimmerman shot Martin first, and then Martin hit Zimmerman? Do you have any evidence supporting that?

Old 07-18-2013, 03:13 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Don't go into someone else's yard until you get permission. Don't be out after dark just wandering around, especially in a high crime area. Just use your head but especially don't break someone's nose before you talk to them about what they want and who they are. Also tell them what you are doing if you are just walking to your parents home, especially if they are patrolling the area or the place has a neighborhood watch. Most places post signs when they have a neighborhood watch.

Just be aware and use common sense. Then if someone jumps on you and tries to bash your skull in you can use self-defence to save yourself from being killed.
As an adult walking on the street I don't have to tell any other citizen why I am there or where I am going, even if it's Neighborhood Watch. It doesn't mean they can shoot me to death.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:15 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
The errors are on you, Sir.

Zimmerman was not arrested because there was no probable cause.

He was standing over the body of an unarmed teenager he shot to death. If that's not grounds to arrest someone and question them, I don't know what is.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
He was standing over the body of an unarmed teenager he shot to death. If that's not grounds to arrest someone and question them, I don't know what is.
elle, you are certainly entitled to your own opinion but that's not how the real world works.

Unarmed <> not dangerous; teenager <> innocent. Children murderers are not uncommon at all. Teenager murderers, burglars, thieves, gang bangers and terrorists are in the hundred of thousands if not more. By the way, Trayvon is a sizable person and without checking his ID, you would not think he's 17.

The way it works is that police needs probable cause to arrest someone. Probable cause has strict legal application, "a reasonable amount of suspicion, supported by circumstances sufficiently strong to justify a prudent and cautious person's belief that certain facts are probably true". It can't be a hunch; it certainly can't be driven by emotions.

Looking at the evidence at the scene, why would anybody draw another conclusion other than the one made by the jury? If so, where's the probable cause then?

If it helps you, imagine you shot some guy who sneaked into your daughter's bedroom late at night, wearing a ski mask. It turned out, he was your teenager daughter's boyfriend sneaking in to see her. Should you be arrested?

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 07-18-2013 at 03:43 PM..

Old 07-18-2013, 03:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
So Zimmerman shot Martin first, and then Martin hit Zimmerman? Do you have any evidence supporting that?
We. do. not. know. who. threw. the. first. punch! Period!

Old 07-18-2013, 04:45 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
As an adult walking on the street I don't have to tell any other citizen why I am there or where I am going, even if it's Neighborhood Watch. It doesn't mean they can shoot me to death.
You missed a critical ellemint in the sequence of events.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies