Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 12:14 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,626,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I could set up an atheist council if I wanted. Wouldn't mean anything except to other atheists, and not even all of them.
If enough atheists agreed to have the atheist council mediate disputes as an alternative to go to trial, it would mean something.

Sharia councils (and atheist councils) are constitutionally permissable, because the parties agree to have them resolve disputes by contract. In the case of sharia councils, there are issues of coercion and undue influence regarding female participants, but those same issues exist with Orthodox Jewish councils.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 08:05 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,941,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
There are no progressive states in the middle east. just countries that are less conservative then others...
Israel. Egypt WAS progressive and looks to be getting back in track. Tunisia and Jordan are also quite progressive.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:40 AM

2,089 posts, read 1,420,717 times
Moral of story: Don't report a rape if you are in a Middle Eastern country.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:11 AM

20,129 posts, read 16,186,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
Sadly, this is true. How it is that people go to the trouble and expense to visit another country and don't bother to read up on their customs and laws is beyond me. People who live in Western Europe or countries whose primary language is English just assume that the world works the way their nation does. What they fail to understand is that their native countries are benevolent societies that value individuals and want to treat all people fairly and justly. They don't always succeed but they do try. This is why sometimes I just want to smack people who claim that we live in an oppressive country or that we have a war on women or the we live in the most bigoted nation on Earth or that we are somehow cruel. I wish there were a way to send everyone who thinks this to another non-European/non-English speaking country for a year to live the average citizen - including my fellow females.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:16 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,491,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
This is why sometimes I just want to smack people who claim that we live in an oppressive country or that we have a war on women or the we live in the most bigoted nation on Earth or that we are somehow cruel. I wish there were a way to send everyone who thinks this to another non-European/non-English speaking country for a year to live the average citizen - including my fellow females.
A lot of the "war on women" rhetoric is overblown, I'll agree with that; in the family court system, in fact, and a few other places, it is exactly the reverse. However, we are a severely oppressive nation in many other ways, starting with having the world's highest proportion of its population incarcerated.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:56 AM

15,102 posts, read 8,655,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
What a hateful thing to say.

Democrats do not support the imposition of Sharia law in the US or anywhere else. We believe in the separation of church/synagogue/mosque/temple and state.
The reason people say that liberalism is a mental disorder is because you people are so out of touch with reality, and see everything in reverse order. When presented with UP, you see DOWN ... when presented with white, you naturally call black ... and when oppressive authoritarian government comes a calling .. you see conservative right. Totally backward, and totally opposite of reality.

The left .... YOU ... demand this authoritarianism, and big government. YOU demand the bans on this and bans on that, from tobacco, to guns, to even freedom of speech. YOU on the left read " ... shall not be infringed" and insist this means that "yes we can infringe". YOU on the left read "or prohibiting the free exercise thereof", and believe that means you must ban all exercises thereof. There is literally nothing that I have discovered thus far in which the liberal does not see backward.

Oppressive authoritarianism, be it imposed by government, king, dictator or religious cult leader HAS ALWAYS BEEN left wing, authoritarian ideology, because all of those "authority" figures by whatever form they act, impose their will upon the masses for whom they demand "compliance". This is the unmistakable truth to which you on the left NEVER FAIL to mistake.

I find it to be beyond explanation for how a breathing human being born with a brain can see things so backwardly. You demand this big government to "regulate" every conceivable activity ... marriage, abortion, speech, religion, private behavior, health care, education, and even "breathing" ... or more accurately .. "exhaling" (CO2). And then, in the ultimate demonstration of insanity, blame the results of your mental illness on everyone else.

Want a great example of your collective backwardness? You see this:

And conclude ... "Of course, Barrack Hussein Obama is a Christian. The depth of your insanity and disassociation is truly frightening,

Old 07-21-2013, 10:47 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,344,965 times
Janet Jackson converted to Islam!?!?!? How could she do that? Sorry but this kind of devastates me. How can she be the pop icon that she is and be Muslim? Islam does not allow women to have such freedoms.

Last edited by CravingMountains; 07-21-2013 at 10:58 AM..

Old 07-21-2013, 10:53 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,789,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post

How about: Moral of the story: don't go to a room with men, get drunk, and take your chances of getting raped.

I read several articles on this. Although I didn't see any that specifically say she was in a hotel room, she said she was drinking with people and "ran to the hotel lobby" when she came to and realized she was being raped. That's been known to happen in the US. She was on a business trip in Dubai. Just how well did she know the people she was drinking with?

Old 07-21-2013, 11:10 AM

20,129 posts, read 16,186,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
How about: Moral of the story: don't go to a room with men, get drunk, and take your chances of getting raped.

I read several articles on this. Although I didn't see any that specifically say she was in a hotel room, she said she was drinking with people and "ran to the hotel lobby" when she came to and realized she was being raped. That's been known to happen in the US. She was on a business trip in Dubai. Just how well did she know the people she was drinking with?
In her native country, and in this one, that is considered blaming the victim. Men are supposed to the only ones responsible if sexual activities occur and one or both parties are drunk. According to last election it was implied that to say otherwise is to conduct a war on women.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:13 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,941,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Janet Jackson converted to Islam!?!?!? How could she do that? Sorry but this kind of devastates me. How can she be the pop icon that she is and be Muslim? Islam does not allow women to have such freedoms.
Correction: Some interpretations of Islam do not allow women to have freedoms, just as some interpretations of Christianity, Judaism, and even Buddhism do not allow women much freedom. Religion typically is interpreted in the culture where it is practiced. Right now, there is a fundamentalist stronghold in the Middle East. Iran used to be fine for women, as did Egypt, Turkey, and several other Islamic countries. Muslims born in the west share similar views to western Christians for the most part in regards to women's rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies