Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2013, 08:53 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,304,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
The roller coaster had been inspected and met safety standards.

It is too early to draw conclusions, but it appears that operator error may have played a part.

Liberals - always politicizing tragedies. Shame on you.

This thread = MASSIVE FAIL.
Sure, it met "standards"...but we don't really know what those "standards" were or the qualifications of the person/people doing the inspecting.

Texas does not investigate park accidents, which I think is what is confusing some people and why they're saying that rides here aren't regulated. No regulatory body in Texas has a mandate to investigate this accident, and it should.

Having said that, as a native of DFW I have visited Six Flags maaaaaaaaaaaaaany times...more than I can count, though I haven't been to the park since the late 1990s. It has been open for over fifty years and this is only the second ride-related fatality in the park's history. SFOT has an excellent safety record and this accident would not discourage me from visiting the park. I rode the Texas Giant the first year it opened and many times after that. I haven't ridden it since it was redesigned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I don't think they're fun at all.
Don't ride them then.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:55 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,437,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Not long after a chemical factory exploded, a woman has apparently flown out of a roller coaster in Texas and died:

Police: No foul play seen in Texas roller coaster death - CNN.com

It appears the land of enchantment, where businesses can run free with zero government oversight, is having a negative effect on the people who live there.

Well airlines are HEAVILy regulated, and they killed three people this month.

Guns are pretty heavily regulated, they are killing a lot of people every day. .

first roller coaster death i've heard of in a while

hmmm

Old 07-22-2013, 08:57 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,881,956 times
Quote:
Not long after a chemical factory exploded, a woman has apparently flown out of a roller coaster in Texas and died:

It appears the land of enchantment, where businesses can run free with zero government oversight, is having a negative effect on the people who live there.
Good lord, you are a desperate human being. There's a freak accident, in which 1 person out of millions who ride roller coasters in Texas, is killed in the ride, and here you are chalking up the entire tragic accident to politics.

Get a life and make better use of your time.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:04 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,839,563 times
I feel sorry for her kids who witnessed the tragedy. That said, can you imagine what would have happened had she been denied a seat on the ride because of her size (experts claimed they're built to withstand 180 lbs)? They need signs.

We had a tragic case locally a couple of years ago in which a patron with no legs fell out of his restraint. Can you imagine a pimply-faced kid attendant arguing with an ex-military patron who'd lost his legs in the war and telling him he couldn't get on?? Signs!

Old 07-22-2013, 09:09 AM

4,911 posts, read 3,432,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
The roller coaster had been inspected and met safety standards.

It is too early to draw conclusions, but it appears that operator error may have played a part.

Liberals - always politicizing tragedies. Shame on you.

This thread = MASSIVE FAIL.
What safety standards would that be, no safety standards? Last time I was on the roller coaster I and everybody else was pretty much strapped in there with a shoulder harness, couldn't get out if we wanted to. When it comes back the guy has to pull some kind of switch and those shoulder harnesses lift up

Old 07-22-2013, 09:13 AM

4,911 posts, read 3,432,537 times
The guy should have tested that thing instead of just trusting the click

Old 07-22-2013, 09:20 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,304,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
The guy should have tested that thing instead of just trusting the click
It, like many other amusement park restraints, is hydraulic rather than mechanical. It does not "click" into place. This is according to the news. I haven't personally gone to Six Flags in about 15 years but I've been to other amusement parks since, and many do not use a "clicking" lap bar.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:22 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,608,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Well airlines are HEAVILy regulated, and they killed three people this month.

Guns are pretty heavily regulated, they are killing a lot of people every day. .

first roller coaster death i've heard of in a while

hmmm
Hmmm, So Chris, if I read your statistics properly, must I conclude that regulations kill people? All your stats do seem to indicate something in that direction. Well, I guess we will have to wait for NJ to come up with something in New Jersey that is regulated and nobody has ever died from. I am sure there is SOMETHING.

Just out of curiosity though, are you allowed to read about guns in Chicago? I thought this was a forbidden topic by now?

Ok, back to the topic. While the amusement rides are heavily regulated, they are regulated by the weights and measures department and are checked for safety of operation and mechanical maintenance. There is no enforcement division of weights and measures except for the lack of inspection and certification or intentional tampering with the certification tags. So if the coaster inspection tag was bogus they have a fleet of officials that could storm Six Flags and fine them out of existance. Forcing them to fix a broken ride? No way Jose. Just can't use it until it gets a valid tag.

As to getting off the ride after the lap bar only clicks once? Yeah, go ahead and try. See how far you get. Once there is a single click that lap bar is in place until the operator releases the whole car section. It may not be adequate to hold you in place once the ride starts to throw you around, but you aren't strong enough to defeat it sitting still on the platform. Your only hope is to get the operator's attention and convince them to reset the bars. They don't pay much attention to anything except getting the ride moving as quickly as possible to reduce the amount of grumbling and angry patrons that had to wait 4 hours in line for a 3 minute ride. I used to be near 300 lbs and have ridden a few rides with lapbars that were uncomfortably tight on my legs and I was not nearly as "volumnous" as she was. It is very likely that the lapbar could not set properly without serious pressure being applied by the ride operator. A single click does mean the locking mechanism has engaged, but only one tooth is set. Three clicks provides much more security against disengagment, but may not have been possible due to her girth. My last ride only got two click and prevented me from enjoying the ride due to loss of circulation in my legs. That was 90lbs and 20 years ago. Even without the extra bulk, I have outlived my enjoyment of rides such as these due to the violent sided to side motions and what they do to my back and hips. I wouldn't mind a nice smooth ride with an open car that reaches a couple hundred miles per hour and has mild dips and humps and no zig-zag, back wrenching, bone jarring changes in direction. Smooth curves and blurred scenery is fine with me.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:30 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,461,752 times
Hey op, do you remember when the haunted house burned people alive in NJ? There have been more accidents at the NJ park than this one.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:37 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,370,596 times
Quote:

This desperate attempt to make political hay from the tragic death of a person represents the huge divide between main stream liberals and the rest of the country. First, note the link to the fertilizer plant in West casually mentioned, then on to the Six Flags incident. If the OP were being honest, the inspections conducted at fertilizer plants are an Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) requirement. This means federal, not state. Second, please tell me how, in your rush to indict an entire state due to the fact that they don't vote the way you'd prefer, you see the state government as responsible for the tragic accident at Six Flags?

This is what happens when some liberal leaning folks attempt to use political ideology like some conservative folks use religion. Both groups view world through their prism of choice. The religious right views everything through a religious filter, whereas the more progressive liberals tend to view all things through a filter of political ideology. In both cases, the parties involved get testy when their attempts to put everything in neat little boxes goes astray.

If you are that displeased with Texas, why not just start another Texas bashing thread in the Texas section of the U.S. Forums?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies