Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 10:52 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,246,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
My Bet: Operator error

The woman was too large for the ride. The Operator let her on even though she was to large. The size of the rider caused a failure, which resulted in the riders demise.

Now I sit and patiently wait for photo shopped photos of people riding the ride, with a womans legs flying offscreen
Maybe. My spouse has been to Great America in Gurnee, and she told me those whoopsie-doodle rides that the passengers need to have restraints engaged onto them, and that attendants come and check each passenger to be sure everything is secured properly before the rides begin.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:56 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,996,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Maybe. My spouse has been to Great America in Gurnee, and she told me those whoopsie-doodle rides that the passengers need to have restraints engaged onto them, and that attendants come and check each passenger to be sure everything is secured properly before the rides begin.

When I was at Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio Millenium Force was relatively new. I know, it's been awhile, since I've been to an amusement park, and my 10 year old is not ready to ride roller coasters. Therefore, there is no reason to waste the money. But, I digress. At the entrance of the ride (the beginning of the line) they had an actual seat that one could get into where they could see if they could fit in the seat comfortably and be properly secured. Guess what? If you didn't fit, you didn't ride. I'm wondering if any of the Six Flags parks has something similar.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:06 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,289,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Anyways [sic], a discussion about quality of education in Texas has to take into account the high number of illegal immigrants whom the school districts are required to educate.

Securing the border is a good first step to addressing the problem.

The same applies here in California.
Uh huh.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
When I was at Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio Millenium Force was relatively new. I know, it's been awhile, since I've been to an amusement park, and my 10 year old is not ready to ride roller coasters. Therefore, there is no reason to waste the money. But, I digress. At the entrance of the ride (the beginning of the line) they had an actual seat that one could get into where they could see if they could fit in the seat comfortably and be properly secured. Guess what? If you didn't fit, you didn't ride. I'm wondering if any of the Six Flags parks has something similar.
Oh I didn't know rides had fitting/weight limits, but does anyone know if the woman who was tossed out was overweight or ??

My last roller coaster ride was at Riverview Park in Chicago. I believe they called it the "bobs", and all we had back then was a handle that came down and locked in place, and patrons were required to grab that and hang on.

http://dannymiller.typepad.com/.a/6a...63b6970c-500wi

http://www.romanticmarriagestories.com/bobs2.jpg

http://www.joylandbooks.com/themagic.../bobsriver.jpg

http://www.riverviewparkchicago.com/...ain%20Gate.jpg

Old 07-23-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Anyways, a discussion about quality of education in Texas has to take into account the high number of illegal immigrants whom the school districts are required to educate.

Securing the border is a good first step to addressing the problem.

The same applies here in California.

Quote:
Actually they can, although Harrier's ramen noodles usually come in a bag.

They are quite good uncooked.

And the relevance of your post to the discussion is ....?
What?

Old 07-23-2013, 11:36 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times
Quote:
Six Flags parks typically do. Even Universal does for The Forbidden Journey ride. The only parks I haven't seen these are Disney parks but they make rides for the entire family and most rides are accessible to everyone.

I've been to Cedar Point a few times (through National Order of the Arrow Conferences) and it is my favorite amusement park (as compared to say theme parks like Disney and Universal.) However or the most part every park I've been to whether it is a Disney, Cedar Point, Six Flags Great Adventure, Adventureland or even small time fairs, they make sure the rides operate properly throughout the day. I am guessing there was an unexpected snafu that happened whether it was human error by ignorance or neglect that led to this tragic event. Could the language barrier play in effect possibly but we don't know if the ride op also knew Spanish or not. That fact has not been talked about at all.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:52 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,996,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Oh I didn't know rides had fitting/weight limits, but does anyone know if the woman who was tossed out was overweight or ??

My last roller coaster ride was at Riverview Park in Chicago. I believe they called it the "bobs", and all we had back then was a handle that came down and locked in place, and patrons were required to grab that and hang on.

http://dannymiller.typepad.com/.a/6a...63b6970c-500wi

http://www.romanticmarriagestories.com/bobs2.jpg

http://www.joylandbooks.com/themagic.../bobsriver.jpg

http://www.riverviewparkchicago.com/...ain%20Gate.jpg
She was in fact overweight. At any rate, when I was 7 my first experience with roller coasters was at Geauga Lake (now defunct) outside of Cleveland. My first was the corkscrew which being a looping coaster had the overhead harness. No problem. My second, immediately after was The Big Dipper, which was an old rickety wooden roller coaster. The safety bar did not come down to your lap, like they do today. Now, this ride's top speed was only 28 miles an hour, but when we hit one of those camel hills, I literally was stood up in my seat, and thought I was going to fly out. Scared the crap out of me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Six Flags parks typically do. Even Universal does for The Forbidden Journey ride. The only parks I haven't seen these are Disney parks but they make rides for the entire family and most rides are accessible to everyone.

I've been to Cedar Point a few times (through National Order of the Arrow Conferences) and it is my favorite amusement park (as compared to say theme parks like Disney and Universal.) However or the most part every park I've been to whether it is a Disney, Cedar Point, Six Flags Great Adventure, Adventureland or even small time fairs, they make sure the rides operate properly throughout the day. I am guessing there was an unexpected snafu that happened whether it was human error by ignorance or neglect that led to this tragic event. Could the language barrier play in effect possibly but we don't know if the ride op also knew Spanish or not. That fact has not been talked about at all.

I would love to someday go to Six Flags Magic Mountain, and the one in New Jersey. I'd love to check out El Toro! Cedar Point is a kick a** park though! I'd also love to go to Canada's Wonderland, which is owned by Cedar Fair. But, before that, I need to get back to Cedar Point, then Kings Island. Have to wait until my son is ready to tackle roller coasters first.

As for this accident. I'd say that it was a little bit of both. I mean, if I didn't feel safe on the ride, regardless of the circumstances, I'd have asked to get off. Not sure if language came into play either.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
She was in fact overweight. At any rate, when I was 7 my first experience with roller coasters was at Geauga Lake (now defunct) outside of Cleveland. My first was the corkscrew which being a looping coaster had the overhead harness. No problem. My second, immediately after was The Big Dipper, which was an old rickety wooden roller coaster. The safety bar did not come down to your lap, like they do today. Now, this ride's top speed was only 28 miles an hour, but when we hit one of those camel hills, I literally was stood up in my seat, and thought I was going to fly out. Scared the crap out of me!

I would love to someday go to Six Flags Magic Mountain, and the one in New Jersey. I'd love to check out El Toro! Cedar Point is a kick a** park though! I'd also love to go to Canada's Wonderland, which is owned by Cedar Fair. But, before that, I need to get back to Cedar Point, then Kings Island. Have to wait until my son is ready to tackle roller coasters first.

As for this accident. I'd say that it was a little bit of both. I mean, if I didn't feel safe on the ride, regardless of the circumstances, I'd have asked to get off. Not sure if language came into play either.
Ride engineers have been pushing the envelope for years. I heard recently someone died of a heart attack on a ride, but don't know the story behind it. I'd say if anyone has hypertension or heart problems of any kind, they should stick to the tilt-a-whirl.

Last edited by NoJiveMan; 07-23-2013 at 12:18 PM..

Old 07-23-2013, 12:13 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,304,124 times
Did I miss the post where someone posted a link that said this woman spoke limited English?

Old 07-23-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Did I miss the post where someone posted a link that said this woman spoke limited English?
Would it have mattered?

From the article in the OP...
Quote:
Brown told the Dallas Morning News that the woman had expressed concern to a park employee that she was not properly secured in her seat.
"He was basically nonchalant," Brown said. "He was, like, 'As long as you heard it click, you're fine.' Hers was the only one that went down once, and she didn't feel safe. But they let her still get on the ride."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies