Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2013, 03:20 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times

Advertisements

Carrying a weapon in the open or concealed is a situational choice. If you are in a hunting party you will obviously carry the gun(s) in the open while hunting or transporting them to the hunt. Same for bringing guns to a range for instruction of practice. If you are carrying a gun to defend yourself from an unexpected attack you keep it out of sight so the criminal will not be warned. If you purposely go into an area where you expect to be attacked you are a criminal, a soldier or a fool .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 03:22 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,520,964 times
open carry is safer for the rest of us who don't need guns to protect ourselves outside our homes. those of us who have went decades without getting into a stupid situation just using street smarts and common sense. I have never been mugged or attacked by a stranger because I practice fantastic situational awareness. I do not go looking for problems. the odds of someone like me being a victim of violent crime by someone I do not know are astronomically low. the reason some people think regular people are being savaged on the streets is because we have a 24 hour news cycle and local stories can get international attention on the internet in minutes.

anyways, I prefer open carry, so I can avoid the nuts who think they have to bring a gun everywhere.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:25 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
No carry is safest for society.
If that's the case, why isn't firearms crime going up at the same rate that the number of people who carry goes up? That would be the logical scenario if carrying a gun were dangerous for society.

Old 09-23-2013, 04:23 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
I have a concealed handgun license and carry my weapon on a regular basis anytime I'm away from home. Of course, I observe the law and don't bring it with me into restricted areas. In my opinion and after long discussions with both LEOs and longtime license holders, I think concealed carry is the better option for most people in most circumstances. Of course, that will vary by individual situations. I also think that a license is a good idea for two reasons:

a) It screens out those who are a bad risk.

b) It provides important training in safe firearms handling and on the lawful employment of deadly force.

In addition, individual states should be free to set the requirements for licensing. But I think that there should be universal (nationwide) reciprocity instead of the current patchwork.
Only way i would do a lic is if it were 1, anonymous, and 2 FREE.

It's just none of the govt's business who has and who hasn't got gun(s) NONE. And since i have no udea how you get a lic as anonymous, i guess i just don't agree.

I have a carry permit but the cops don't know for what gun, who made it, where I got it, it's make or serial number. AND THEY DON'T NEED to know!

So if there is a anonymous lic application I guess it would have to be for everyone of age, and be forced by LAW so we ALL take the test to be EQUAL of course

Old 09-23-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Concealed better choice as it keeps the thugs guessing. If open carry, thugs can easily avoid a difficult target. Why heck you could buy 'falsies' and pretend you have what you don't. In this case it would be a good thing.

Open carry makes the general public nervous and stores may opt to post no open carry even where legal.

Absolutely must be licensed as, practically, not everyone should have a gun, in this case a pistol, concealed or open in the midst of the public....that includes some cops.
Fine if they want to go hunting or target practice.

Carry in many states is easy to obtain, in others like NJ it is essentially impossible unless a former cop or carry large sums of money as part of your business. Law should be somewhere in between.

This brings to mind the anti gun crowd claiming see no one is telling you you can't have a gun. It is just that the restrictions are so tough, as in NJ, you cannot have a gun though the law says you can.
I wish stores would post their notion of gun law. It would assist me in shopping as i don't want to ever shop in any anti gun stores. I wish every business would post this.

I already refuse service from At&T and anything they are related to as soon as i discover they are since AT&T is anti gun. other business are antigun and i have a paper somewhere on which.

Old 09-23-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
That ends where the stores property begins.

Reading comments related to the recent Starbucks statement, I'm amazed the number of second amendment hawks that fail to comprehend the rights of private property.
Hey man if it isn't posted it isn't law......

Old 09-23-2013, 04:45 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
If I recall six out of ten are suicide.
Alaska was in the middle of the pack in homicides, while Hawaii had by far the least, and Lousiana had the most.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:59 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,743,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
open carry is safer for the rest of us who don't need guns to protect ourselves outside our homes. those of us who have went decades without getting into a stupid situation just using street smarts and common sense. I have never been mugged or attacked by a stranger because I practice fantastic situational awareness. I do not go looking for problems. the odds of someone like me being a victim of violent crime by someone I do not know are astronomically low. the reason some people think regular people are being savaged on the streets is because we have a 24 hour news cycle and local stories can get international attention on the internet in minutes.

anyways, I prefer open carry, so I can avoid the nuts who think they have to bring a gun everywhere.
...How elitist you are " those of us who have went decades without getting into a stupid situation just using street smarts and common sense" ever stop to think that troubles finds people??

Old 09-23-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
No carry is safest for society.
Really? so why does Chicago have the highest crime rate?

Old 09-23-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
That ends where the stores property begins.

Reading comments related to the recent Starbucks statement, I'm amazed the number of second amendment hawks that fail to comprehend the rights of private property.
You are right, that being said if a customer is harmed when their rights were violated, Starbucks will be very very very liable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies