Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 05:29 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,663,180 times

Advertisements

I cannot understand how the decision to reduce spending across the board in the sequester was made by an intelligent administration. Hagel has announced that the furlough's of government employees in the DOD will continue into next year and possible increase. Our military men and women who don't get paid much to start with are no longer receiving extra pay for being in a hot spot YET the IRS has lavish conferences and our Congressman spent thousands of dollars providing coffee and other food at their meetings, thanks to the taxpayer and the EPA was exempt from this sequester. It sure seems to me this administration needs to look in their own "houses" to reduce spending rather than cutting the pay of some of the lowest paid citizens who are defending us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 05:31 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,470,672 times
I`m sure there isn`t any wasteful spending by the War Dept. either. Just kidding of course.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:33 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,543,209 times
Obama doesn't like defense spending.

Simple as that.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:48 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I cannot understand how the decision to reduce spending across the board in the sequester was made by an intelligent administration. Hagel has announced that the furlough's of government employees in the DOD will continue into next year and possible increase. Our military men and women who don't get paid much to start with are no longer receiving extra pay for being in a hot spot YET the IRS has lavish conferences and our Congressman spent thousands of dollars providing coffee and other food at their meetings, thanks to the taxpayer and the EPA was exempt from this sequester. It sure seems to me this administration needs to look in their own "houses" to reduce spending rather than cutting the pay of some of the lowest paid citizens who are defending us.
Those cuts weren't made by the Administration. They were agreed upon by the Administration and Congress, to be so devastating that all sides would come to a mutual agreement. Failing to do so, the cuts went into effect.

What is notable is that while you complain about Defense cuts, you don't mention a single word about domestic cuts, like to Medicare, aid for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) and the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP); the National Institutes of Health; The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; Border security; Immigration enforcement; Airport security; Head Start; FEMA’s disaster relief; Public housing support; the FDA; NASA; Special education; The Energy Department’s program for securing nukes; The National Science Foundation; The FBI; The federal prison system; State Department; Global health programs; the Millenium Challenge Corp. sees a $46 million cut, and USAID a cut of about $291 million; The Nuclear Regulatory Commission; The SEC; The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum; The Library of Congress and the Patent and Trademark.

Given that Congress has often added items to the Defense budget that the Pentagon said they don't need, I am not really worried that the nation is defenseless.

The Abrams tank provides one such example of where the Pentagon says it can save billions of dollars by freezing work on upgrading the Abrams tank from the M1A1 to the M1A2 version for the next three years. In spite of this, there are some in Congress who insist that this money be spent because the work is to be performed in their districts.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:48 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post

Simple as that.
And any thinking person doesn't like excessive defense spending, which seems to elude many conservatives who will often try to spend on programs the Pentagon doesn't even want.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:00 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I cannot understand how the decision to reduce spending across the board in the sequester was made by an intelligent administration.
That wasn't the decision the administration made: The administration made the decision to work out a deal with Congress such that failing to pass a budget would have such terrible consequences that no one in their right mind would oppose coming to a compromise to avoid those consequences. The administration's mistake was assuming that Republicans in Congress are all "in their right mind", i.e., underestimating the extent to which Republicans in Congress could not care less about the nation and its people, and the extent to which Republicans in Congress will do whatever they feel like to foster egoistic avarice.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:08 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
That wasn't the decision the administration made: The administration made the decision to work out a deal with Congress such that failing to pass a budget would have such terrible consequences that no one in their right mind would oppose coming to a compromise to avoid those consequences. The administration's mistake was assuming that Republicans in Congress are all "in their right mind", i.e., underestimating the extent to which Republicans in Congress could not care less about the nation and its people, and the extent to which Republicans in Congress will do whatever they feel like to foster egoistic avarice.
Of course, notice how quickly Congress acted to smooth operations at Reagan National affected by the sequester when it found how its members travel would be affected.

Cingress men(and women) are the champions of "do as I say, not as I do" on both sides of the aisle.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:28 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Those cuts weren't made by the Administration. They were agreed upon by the Administration and Congress, to be so devastating that all sides would come to a mutual agreement. Failing to do so, the cuts went into effect.

What is notable is that while you complain about Defense cuts, you don't mention a single word about domestic cuts, like to Medicare, aid for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) and the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP); the National Institutes of Health; The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; Border security; Immigration enforcement; Airport security; Head Start; FEMA’s disaster relief; Public housing support; the FDA; NASA; Special education; The Energy Department’s program for securing nukes; The National Science Foundation; The FBI; The federal prison system; State Department; Global health programs; the Millenium Challenge Corp. sees a $46 million cut, and USAID a cut of about $291 million; The Nuclear Regulatory Commission; The SEC; The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum; The Library of Congress and the Patent and Trademark.

Given that Congress has often added items to the Defense budget that the Pentagon said they don't need, I am not really worried that the nation is defenseless.

The Abrams tank provides one such example of where the Pentagon says it can save billions of dollars by freezing work on upgrading the Abrams tank from the M1A1 to the M1A2 version for the next three years. In spite of this, there are some in Congress who insist that this money be spent because the work is to be performed in their districts.
"Those cuts weren't made by the Administration."

PSST! There were NO cuts. Just a reduction in the expected increase.

Show me the Agency budgets from 2012 and 2013.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:31 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post

Simple as that.
Couldnt tell that by his adventures overseas.
Anyway, its offense spending now a days.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:37 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
I`m sure there isn`t any wasteful spending by the War Dept. either. Just kidding of course.
They got more than their fair share of boondoggles, too.

IRS Spending Scandal Not All It Seems, Other Departments, Agencies Spent Far More

The peak year for IRS boondoggle spending occurred during the Bush administration.
Such spending has been reduced by 87% since 2010.

According to Forbes, Obama is the smallest government spender since Eisenhower. Some may give credit for this to Congress. If so, spending during the Bush Admin also needs to be credited to Congress.

Who Is The Smallest Government Spender Since Eisenhower? Would You Believe It's Barack Obama? - Forbes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies