Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 02:01 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,829,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
Who is trying to infringe upon the rights or abilities of any American to vote? Bottom line, Holder dropped some red meat for the Dem base about getting after Texas. Are you familiar with the proposed Texas voter ID law? I am guessing not. The law nearly mirrors the one recently passed, without challenge or DOJ interference in Indiana. It contains the same provisions for FREE IDs to be provided by the the state. How does this limit the rights or abilities of anyone legally allowed to vote from doing so? It doesn't, but that won't stop the current administration from tilting at windmills to cheers of liberals everywhere...
In before the how are 90 year old in nursing homes supposed to get ID's.

The answer is they already have ID because they needed it to get on SS and Medicare. (You have to provide a certified copy of a birth certificate, which to acquire you need an ID)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 02:10 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,004,304 times
This quote from Reuters I find interesting: "Texas' voter ID law requires voters to show a photo ID before casting a ballot, a measure its supporters, mostly Republicans, said is necessary to prevent fraud.

Democrats said it would disproportionately affect the poor and minorities because even getting a free photo ID would require travel to a state office and proof that costs money to obtain, such as a certified copy of a birth certificate."

If EVERYONE is required to show proof of being a citizen of the United States before voting how is this a problem. This effects all, asians, hispanics, blacks, whites and everyone. Are they saying that minorities are incapable of obtaining ID's in all of states where ID is required, it's free. It will cost me just the same amount to get a birth certificate and it cost anyone in my state. Damn, I guess I'm be disenfranchised also, but I'm white so that doesn't count.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:11 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,794,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post

The answer is they already have ID because they needed it to get on SS and Medicare. (You have to provide a certified copy of a birth certificate, which to acquire you need an ID)
This can be handled reasonably by reasonable people.

You left wingers just want to help bolster your party by eliminating any and all efforts to limit voting to CITIZENS who have the RIGHT to vote. You seem to think that voter fraud is ok. Well, after all, how many dead people vote for you libs as opposed to republicans?

Old 07-25-2013, 02:18 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,211,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
... is picking up steam. The RWNJ run States have gone off the edge with the RW branch of SCOTUS... Justice Dept is looking to attack those that discriminate against voters due to race.

Obama administration declares new voter rights strategy | Reuters
So I need a valid ID to buy certain kinds of cough medicine over the counter but not to vote for the next leader of my country? In what universe does that make sense?

Old 07-25-2013, 02:19 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,865,913 times
Quote:

You would be wrong, but don't let that get in your way.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:20 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,667,124 times
Quote:
You should probably read the constitution first. When you do you will find a section that says states have the power to determin voting rules and regulations.
And the Voting Rights Act of 1965 says that no state has the power to discriminate against certain groups (ethnic, racial, cultural, geographical, economic, age, sex, sexuality, etc.) when establishing voting rules and regulations.

It is the duty of the President and Justice Department to uphold the Voting Rights Act.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:21 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,558,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Even the Illegal ones who are not citizens.

Just fyi...

Noncitizens can't vote.

Illegals especially avoid voting, since they want NO contact with any government function.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:25 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,983,727 times
I have to present a valid photo ID card to get a ballot here in Montana. either my Retired Military ID card or my driver license will work.
Then I have to sign the voter register.
I wonder what those who are illiterate and don't drive do?
My driver license expires on my birthday this year. I have to drive clear across town to renew it! OH, THE INCONVENIENCE! Obviously, The State should come to my house and renew my license in my living room!
IMO, Holder is a fool. Highly educated, but a fool none the less!

Old 07-25-2013, 02:26 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,467,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
... is picking up steam. The RWNJ run States have gone off the edge with the RW branch of SCOTUS... Justice Dept is looking to attack those that discriminate against voters due to race.

Obama administration declares new voter rights strategy | Reuters
Yep, time for the Justice Department to ramp up operations against racist voter supresssion. That way nobody will be looking at how they shipped guns to drug cartels, spy on the phone records of innocent civilians, didn't investigate Benghazi until weeks after it happened, and can't find any evidence of the IRS target of conservatives.

Deflection at its finest. That's liberals for you.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:28 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,673,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
This can be handled reasonably by reasonable people.

You left wingers just want to help bolster your party by eliminating any and all efforts to limit voting to CITIZENS who have the RIGHT to vote. You seem to think that voter fraud is ok. Well, after all, how many dead people vote for you libs as opposed to republicans?
Well, I'm a leftwinger, and I certainly don't want ineligible people voting. Non-citizens already can't vote. Voter fraud isn't OK. But it is exceptionally rare. Also, how many dead people voted in 2012? Do you have accurate figures for that? I'm curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies