Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 01:01 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,689,005 times

Advertisements

Stay off other peoples property at 2am, in most cases I warning shot would be in order, or tell the person attempting to do something stupid to get off my property or you will be shot.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:07 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,837,161 times
Quote:
EdwardAI guess Louisiana doesn't have stand your ground.
A nonviolent burglar how quaint. Now the inevitable comparisons to Trayvon. Ironically enough when Zimmerman forst called 911 he observed Trayvon looking into homes just like this little thief.
Trayvon was looking inside of homes huh? Nice spin!

I look at houses to when i walk down the street

Old 07-29-2013, 01:10 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,213,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Nobody said Zimmerman was a stand-up guy. Your words, not mine. But Martin is portrayed as an innocent youth, which is also a lie.
The only people who portray Trayvon as an innocent youth are Zimmerman supporters who then use that as the basis for tearing down the teen's character. Intelligent people acknowledge that Trayvon had behavioral issues, but none of them warranted his death (or Zimmerman following him in the dark). And NONE of them reveal him to be violently-inclined (unlike the confrontational Zimmerman).

Old 07-29-2013, 02:17 PM

109 posts, read 157,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I am sure a single white woman with seven kids would have problems too. What does being black have to do with anything?
Oh, no, there was a misunderstanding. I was actually being sarcastic. That one user whom I was responding to, me and him/her have been going back and forth on this thread for the past couple days after I responded to some racist comments they made.
I actually hate racism and think it's a waste of time. Definitely not a racist.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:59 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,345,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
PROFILING. Exactly the point.
Once we shoot down your RWNJ talking points, you really don't have much in the way of facts to contribute, do you??

Old 07-29-2013, 03:02 PM

272 posts, read 295,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
I bet the shooter in this case was like many of the Zimmerman supporters here. So pissed at the "media bias" and "unfair prosecution of Zimmerman" that he was just looking for an opportunity to defend his life, liberty and property from a "thug".

But he jumped the gun quite a bit. While it's very possible this kid would have entered his home to cause harm, it was NOT in progress at the time of the shooting. If you are afraid for your life, you stay in the house and call 911! You don't go outside to meet the danger (isn't that what many Zimmerman supporters wanted Trayvon to do? To just go home/call 911 to eliminate the threat? Now I see they're suddenly all about meeting the danger head on and saying calling 911 is useless. ).

Yet another case of a trigger-happy dolt. It's ironic really because in his attempt to protect his family, he's left them alone...possibly for many years.

The penalty for criminal trespassing is not death. The penalty for burglary (or even armed robbery) is not death. If this teen was troubled, he should've been arrested and prosecuted to the extent allowed by law, NOT shot by a trigger-happy gun zealot.

Just wondering when does it make it ok to shoot? How long do you wait?

I keep thinking of the family in Ct. Their house was invaded. The wife and children raped while the husband was tied up and then set the house on fire. Only the husband survived. When do you decide you are in danger? Do you wait for them to break in, for the police to come. What if the police don't get there in time? What if the trespasser has a gun is faster at the gun? What if there is more than one? Maybe if this family saw these guys trespassing and shot they would be alive today. How do you know the difference between just a trespasser, burglar, rapist or killer when someone is on your closed in property. You know that person is doing something wrong. How long do you wait?

Cheshire, Connecticut, home invasion murders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-29-2013, 03:16 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,213,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canear View Post

I keep thinking of the family in Ct. Their house was invaded. The wife and children raped while the husband was tied up and then set the house on fire. Only the husband survived. When do you decide you are in danger? Do you wait for them to break in, for the police to come. What if the police don't get there in time? What if the trespasser has a gun is faster at the gun? What if there is more than one? Maybe if this family saw these guys trespassing and shot they would be alive today. How do you know the difference between just a trespasser, burglar, rapist or killer when someone is on your closed in property. You know that person is doing something wrong. How long do you wait?

Your own post answers your question. You defend yourself when your safety is threatened. Someone breaking and entering your own home deserves whatever punishment you can mete out to them. Before then, you are not in immediate harm. It's really quite simple. Until that person enters your home, you are NOT in danger and should not resort to deadly force.

Do you honestly believe shooting someone from 30 feet away is justified? What if this were a neighbor who'd come home drunk and ended up in your backyard by mistake? A kidnapped person who'd escaped his/her abductor and was hoping to use your backyard as a means of getting to safety? While we know this wasn't the case here, we *don't* know if this could never be the case, so you don't shoot first and ask questions later when your life isn't in danger.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:38 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,661,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canear View Post

How long to wait before blowing a child's brains out?

Remember this kid was not even by the house, I'd say the homeowner had a few seconds to try other options to protect himself and his family.

Remember the homeowner left his home, putting himself in harm's way if he had faced an armed killer.

In this situation, one could at least call the police and yell "get lost, I have a gun" from the safety of the home. It would take all of 5 seconds. 99.9 % of thieves and bad guys would flee. Then you can happily shoot the .1 % that don't.

The CT case is an extreme example that happens once in a decade, that's why it got so much publicity.

Last edited by ellemint; 07-29-2013 at 03:47 PM..

Old 07-29-2013, 03:42 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,661,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Your own post answers your question. You defend yourself when your safety is threatened. Someone breaking and entering your own home deserves whatever punishment you can mete out to them. Before then, you are not in immediate harm. It's really quite simple. Until that person enters your home, you are NOT in danger and should not resort to deadly force.

Do you honestly believe shooting someone from 30 feet away is justified? What if this were a neighbor who'd come home drunk and ended up in your backyard by mistake? A kidnapped person who'd escaped his/her abductor and was hoping to use your backyard as a means of getting to safety? While we know this wasn't the case here, we *don't* know if this could never be the case, so you don't shoot first and ask questions later when your life isn't in danger.
If he hadn't stupidly left his home the homeowner would have even been safer. There was simply no excuse for this. Another needless tragedy.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:56 PM

21,487 posts, read 10,602,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
Send him to prison. There was another case like this in New York I believe. A black homeowner shot a white kid in his yard and he was sent to jail.
That's because New York has strict gun laws. I guess Louisiana does too. I can tell you that a black man shooting a white burglar in Texas will get the same treatment as a white man shooting a black burglar - a Grand Jury deciding not to indict him. People here believe a person has a right to defend themselves and their property, which should give criminals pause before they go jumping fences in the middle of the night (and I'm sure it does prevent a lot of them from doing just that).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies