Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 09:58 PM

49 posts, read 78,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njclay2004 View Post
I think you have to look at the Historical Implications of the idea.

I think Dr. King would have approved of these groups' initial formation, but I also believe that in order to become more 'color blind,' we need to put an end to these 'identity' groups. More importantly, we need to integrate with their so-called white counterparts.
No. Why should any minority group strip their identity just so whites can accept them? Minorities in America are not asking for a color blind society. In a color blind society everyone will behave and think like white Americans. Tell that to Chinese, Indian and Nigerian immigrants who already have low opinions of American culture.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:43 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,019,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Why would white students want to join a "club" that they would not be welcome in? You know darned right well that a non black student would not be able to join the black "club". Whether the goals are the same or not. I may not be able to prove that but neither can anyone else disprove it. Unless they are a white GSU student who is a member of the Black Student Union and it's in the news. I say that because I know someone would come along claiming to be that GSU student. To which I say "hogwash"!
A good friend of mine from work was the president of the black student union at her university...oddly enough she's pretty darn pale, with blonde hair and blue eyes and grew up in Denmark. When she 1st told me about the BSU, it definitely took me back a step...This girl however flies jets for the US Air Force, lives in the inner-city, and participates in Big Brothers & Big Sisters spending quite a bit of time with inner city youth trying to improve the next generation. She literally a class act

Honestly, certain people have the ability to fit in amongst many different circles. Normally this has to do with attitude, the ability to check your preconceptions at the door, and really do your best to get to know someone. Does that mean that Whites will likely hang out at Black Panther Meetings, or Blacks will start attending Klan Rallies...No. But there's a major difference between those two aforementioned groups and the Black and White Student Unions.

PS - When people start screaming that we need to disband organizations like the BSU's found at almost all universities...There's going to be a major uproar. I can bet the argument will be "This organization is here to represent US, and our heritage!". For some reason, that sounds an awful lot like folks in the South who don't want to take down a flag that represents their heritage. Granted that the connotation is different, not sure how many people were killed under a flag of student union...but the heritage argument is pretty straightforward.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:50 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten_Moon View Post
No. Why should any minority group strip their identity just so whites can accept them? Minorities in America are not asking for a color blind society. In a color blind society everyone will behave and think like white Americans. Tell that to Chinese, Indian and Nigerian immigrants who already have low opinions of American culture.
Surely, these people have their opinions of 'American' culture, not 'White' culture. I'm probably naive, but I don't think we are a white culture. How are our business and artistic practices so different than that of other cultures, anyway? The only culture that is really so different is the Muslim culture which prefers Sharia government rather than a democracy, and I don't see any big migration from here to there, in fact, the migration is going the other way.

There is a culture of venerating the elderly, but even in the countries mentioned, that seems to be diminishing. The thing is is that youthful energy moves economies and that often trumps wisdom - but that's happening all over.

I don't think of the US as a 'White' culture and those who long for such a fractured culture tend to be those Aryan identity groups, which I don't see as healthy. To the same extent some other specialty groups can be just as prejudiced, repressive, and distorted.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:58 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times
Nigerians have a low opinion of America? That is so upsetting...................

Old 08-18-2013, 01:59 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
A good friend of mine from work was the president of the black student union at her university...oddly enough she's pretty darn pale, with blonde hair and blue eyes and grew up in Denmark. When she 1st told me about the BSU, it definitely took me back a step...This girl however flies jets for the US Air Force, lives in the inner-city, and participates in Big Brothers & Big Sisters spending quite a bit of time with inner city youth trying to improve the next generation. She literally a class act

Honestly, certain people have the ability to fit in amongst many different circles. Normally this has to do with attitude, the ability to check your preconceptions at the door, and really do your best to get to know someone. Does that mean that Whites will likely hang out at Black Panther Meetings, or Blacks will start attending Klan Rallies...No. But there's a major difference between those two aforementioned groups and the Black and White Student Unions.

PS - When people start screaming that we need to disband organizations like the BSU's found at almost all universities...There's going to be a major uproar. I can bet the argument will be "This organization is here to represent US, and our heritage!". For some reason, that sounds an awful lot like folks in the South who don't want to take down a flag that represents their heritage. Granted that the connotation is different, not sure how many people were killed under a flag of student union...but the heritage argument is pretty straightforward.
I think such groups will eventually die a natural death. We are all in this together and ultimately, we sink or swim together. I don't see groups that factionalize us as working for the common good, do you?

Groups founded solely on the basis of skin color seem useless to me because they are founded on racism. We all have the same goals, don't we? Do we want to perpetuate racism or eradicate it? l
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies