Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 06:11 AM

2,234 posts, read 1,759,132 times

Advertisements

Being a CCW (concealed carry weapon) licence holder, the Trayvon case, and with firearms being a hot topic lately, I have started to think about situations in which one could legally use their firearm to save their live or the life of another human being. That got me thinking about recent and past cases where police officers shot unarmed suspects who had already surrendered, where police sodomized men who were in there custody, and a few other cases where police beat suspects to death. In a few of these cases, most of which can be found on YouTube, citizens have been able to catch the beatings on tape.

Keeping the Zimmerman verdict in mind, my question is what would you do if you were a gun owner and the police were beating you or a loved one? What would you do if you saw the officers beating a handcuffed or otherwise submissive suspect to death? In either case, would you risk the beating or watch a helpless man or woman be beaten to death, respectively.

What if these people were you, someone you knew, or someone who you saw needlessly being beaten (possibly) to death? Do you think we have a right to open fire on the officers in defense of our or someone else's life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 07:27 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Based upon the articles on the first video, if I caught such an event on video, I would be uploading it online to the local and national news TV stations, newspapers, and to as many people as possible as fast as possible. If you can upload it to as many people as possible online, they can't make the evidence disappear.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:12 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
good advice victimofGM...The question of what to do when you're witnessing the murder of a man by the police has yet to be answered though. It's very sad (and telling on the so called "justice" system") that even though many of us have a very very good idea of what we could absolutely (and would want to) do, most of us would be afraid to say it out loud...cause just like the man on the video said, "they'll come for him too". This type of brutality (more and more exposed because of advanced technologies) has probably always gone on..and it's got to end. EVERY one of those cops that killed that father of four should have to do hard time for MURDER, cause that's what it was....I absolutely believe we should have the right to kill, rather than be killed.
The guy in the second video should have got a LOT more far as I'm concerned...I'm wondering (and wouldn't be surprised) if the cops that beat him are still working..betcha they got a slap on the wrist...but not for the beating..for not taking precautions and making sure no-one got it on video.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:26 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
good advice victimofGM...The question of what to do when you're witnessing the murder of a man by the police has yet to be answered though. It's very sad (and telling on the so called "justice" system") that even though many of us have a very very good idea of what we could absolutely (and would want to) do, most of us would be afraid to say it out loud...cause just like the man on the video said, "they'll come for him too". This type of brutality (more and more exposed because of advanced technologies) has probably always gone on..and it's got to end. EVERY one of those cops that killed that father of four should have to do hard time for MURDER, cause that's what it was....I absolutely believe we should have the right to kill, rather than be killed.
The guy in the second video should have got a LOT more far as I'm concerned...I'm wondering (and wouldn't be surprised) if the cops that beat him are still working..betcha they got a slap on the wrist...but not for the beating..for not taking precautions and making sure no-one got it on video.
A few citizen bystanders can do nothing to stop 9 or more armed police officers other than witness, record, and report to the press everything you witnessed. One or two officers brutally beating someone to death is still a danger unless a group of more than two people can catch them off guard since they are armed with hand guns. If you are armed and feel 100% certain you're doing the right thing and are willing to take the possible consequences, pull your weapon and shoot. Keep in mind that you may face a death penalty if you cannot show you were shooting police officers to save the life of someone you felt they were about to beat to death.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
A few citizen bystanders can do nothing to stop 9 or more armed police officers other than witness, record, and report to the press everything you witnessed. One or two officers brutally beating someone to death is still a danger unless a group of more than two people can catch them off guard since they are armed with hand guns. If you are armed and feel 100% certain you're doing the right thing and are willing to take the possible consequences, pull your weapon and shoot. Keep in mind that you may face a death penalty if you cannot show you were shooting police officers to save the life of someone you felt they were about to beat to death.
Ironic isn't it?..Cops ( the ones we've hired to serve and protect us) can kill, and get away with it..betcha they're not worried about facing the death penalty when they commit murder..You're right though, defense could cost you your life..I guess if there was no choice you might not think about it then though.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:58 AM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Ironic isn't it?..Cops ( the ones we've hired to serve and protect us) can kill, and get away with it..betcha they're not worried about facing the death penalty when they commit murder..You're right though, defense could cost you your life..I guess if there was no choice you might not think about it then though.
This applies to more than just guns or beatings. We had an incident here a few years ago where a policeman did not have lights or sirens on, but blasted through a stop sign at high speed, killing 2 teenage sisters. He was cleared of any wrongdoing and transferred to another town.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:20 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,759,132 times
Quote:
Yea he could have gotten a lot more, but what bugs me is that they're paying him with our tax money...

Old 07-27-2013, 12:43 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
This is a great thread and a topic that needs to be discussed.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
Yea he could have gotten a lot more, but what bugs me is that they're paying him with our tax money...
what isn't?..weren't the cops that beat him being paid with your tax money?, and probably still are?/...

Old 07-27-2013, 01:13 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,861,475 times
Move to Indiana.

The Indiana law that lets citizens shoot cops - The Week
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies