Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 09:34 AM

20,458 posts, read 12,379,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I was damned impressed with my dad's Prius. We took it on a trip and I did better than I would have in my diesel VW.
the problem is these cars cost way more than their selling point. Then again we get to the battery issue.

Look, I do not oppose electric/hybred cars because I like gas. I just dont think the technology is anywhere near where it needs to be for this to be a real option.

I have serious questions about the envrionmental impact of all those batteries going bad in a few years and then what do we do?

There are better options with far less environmental negatives.

Now if you turn out to be right, and electric cars can be made with a viable price point, and with a solid recharge plan that allows you to recharge in 5 to 10 minutes, drive 400 miles, and not have to worry about excessive built in costs associated with the batteries, then I will be happy to be wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 09:38 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I really see the electric car as a boondoggle. building out a network to recharge is going to be very expensive. recharging the cars takes a lot of time.
It once took weeks to drive across country.

Quote:
The batteries are very difficult to deal with, they are expensive, when they go bad they are toxic. There is very little upside.
Batteries are very old technology and are everywhere. All vehicles have batteries and yet you don't complain.

Quote:
There are however other alternatives that can and will be game changers.

as I pointed out, Elio Motors is in the process of producing a car that gets 84 MPG in a gas powered engine. The car is a two seater and has a price point of $6800
Other countries have cars that approach that now and they are actual 4 place vehicles. Unfortunately the government gets in the way of them being brought here. I've wanted a diesel Polo for a long time but can I buy one? No. Peugeot has an amazing diesel hybrid. Can I get one? No.

Quote:
I fully believe in my lifetime, there will be a shift from fossil fuel to some other major energy source. what that will be remains to be seen. But electricity is just too fickle.

If I were to bet, I would bet on some form of oil produced from living organizims like Algae or E Coli.
Maybe but I'm not dismissing something that we are improving on year in and year out for something not even on the horizon yet.

Now this is just my opinion. IMO most of the hate for electrics comes from the governments completely mishandled ventures in pushing them. Those actions have indeed hurt far more than helped. It's why the government should stay on the small scale and leave the rest to others.

If they want to operate a lab to work on battery technology fine but leave the manufacturing to others.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:40 AM

20,458 posts, read 12,379,585 times
Quote:

Batteries are very old technology and are everywhere. All vehicles have batteries and yet you don't complain.

Other countries have cars that approach that now and they are actual 4 place vehicles. Unfortunately the government gets in the way of them being brought here. I've wanted a diesel Polo for a long time but can I buy one? No. Peugeot has an amazing diesel hybrid. Can I get one? No.

Maybe but I'm not dismissing something that we are improving on year in and year out for something not even on the horizon yet.

Now this is just my opinion. IMO most of the hate for electrics comes from the governments completely mishandled ventures in pushing them. Those actions have indeed hurt far more than helped. It's why the government should stay on the small scale and leave the rest to others.

If they want to operate a lab to work on battery technology fine but leave the manufacturing to others.
we have real agreement right there!

and if a private business like Tesla wants to build electric cars I am good with that too... so long as they dont get muliti-millions from the government to do it...

Old 08-06-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
the problem is these cars cost way more than their selling point. Then again we get to the battery issue.

Look, I do not oppose electric/hybred cars because I like gas. I just dont think the technology is anywhere near where it needs to be for this to be a real option.
It's already a real option. The market is growing every year.

EV & Hybrid Sales Are Up 80,000 Cars In 2013 (August US Sales Update)

Quote:
I have serious questions about the envrionmental impact of all those batteries going bad in a few years and then what do we do?
This is what gets so tiring in a forum like this. You provide an answer complete with links but then people continue to bring up the same tired points.

THE BATTERIES ARE RECYCLABLE. You can re-use them.

Quote:
There are better options with far less environmental negatives.

Now if you turn out to be right, and electric cars can be made with a viable price point, and with a solid recharge plan that allows you to recharge in 5 to 10 minutes, drive 400 miles, and not have to worry about excessive built in costs associated with the batteries, then I will be happy to be wrong.
Rome wasn't built in a day.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
we have real agreement right there!

and if a private business like Tesla wants to build electric cars I am good with that too... so long as they dont get muliti-millions from the government to do it...
Your honor, I rest my case.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:28 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
What do you think GM and Chrysler cost you?
That's not an electric car vs. gasoline car comparison of subsidies.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:34 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Can't find the article but few years back someone in England drove an electric car the same route a horse and carriage took over along route of many days. The horse and carriage time was the winner. LOL

Old 08-06-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That's not an electric car vs. gasoline car comparison of subsidies.
Something doesn't have to be 100% exactly the same to be comparable. In both cases it's your tax money.

Am I reading you right in that it's O.K. for the government to get involved when you support it but not when you don't?

Old 08-06-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Can't find the article but few years back someone in England drove an electric car the same route a horse and carriage took over along route of many days. The horse and carriage time was the winner. LOL
I have no doubt that a horse is better equipped to ford water.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:40 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:

Other countries have cars that approach that now and they are actual 4 place vehicles. Unfortunately the government gets in the way of them being brought here.

Remember this... The government makes revenue off each gallon of gas and diesel sold. You think they want to lower their income take?
They lose on the electric cars and want a mileage tax now to get theirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies