Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 04:24 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,131,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
So the government played a role--but it did NOT subsidize E-trade or pets.com or amazon or Intel or Microsoft or Dell.. Basic research yes! Premature commercialization of technologies, NO! It can't be successful until it is unstoppable, then it is unnecessary. Past successes in basic research is not a valid reason for the government to take over increasing fractions of our economy.
A lot of "government" research actually takes place at universities, too, where students effectively pay to work on the projects, rather than get paid to work on them...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 04:46 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,256,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Those will not be found in the junk yard. They'll be at a premium and pulled for resale/rebuild.
So the junkyard is going to resell them. Why do people have to go to such great pains to agree with someone while trying to sound like they aren't?

Old 08-05-2013, 05:20 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,736,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
It will happen, running out of fossil fuels is a fact not a prediction. Lifestyles will change, we will no longer have a single person in a 3000 lb car commuting 50 miles in traffic in addition other creative ways we waste energy. They finally came around to raising their standards on vehicle MPG standards over 20+ years too late.

Maybe if/when Gene Roddenberry's predictions come true......

Old 08-05-2013, 05:46 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,092,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
So the junkyard is going to resell them. Why do people have to go to such great pains to agree with someone while trying to sound like they aren't?
I'm not agreeing with you because I can go down to the local junk yard and pull the transmission myself for less than $100. Those batteries will be at a premium and pulled by the junk yard themselves, they will also command a premium price.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
I'm not agreeing with you because I can go down to the local junk yard and pull the transmission myself for less than $100. Those batteries will be at a premium and pulled by the junk yard themselves, they will also command a premium price.
Sheesh.........you can not pull a late model transmission for $100. A Powerglide and a 6 speed automatic are very different things.

I am sure you'll continue to dig your hole deeper though.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Sheesh.........you can not pull a late model transmission for $100. A Powerglide and a 6 speed automatic are very different things.

I am sure you'll continue to dig your hole deeper though.

How many people need or want late model transmissions? If you need a transmission you're most likely going to fall into this category.

How many people are going to need unique transmissions? Not many....

Now how many are going to need batteries? All of them right?

You need to compare apples to apples. These batteries aren't going to be premium parts becsue they are unique or special, they will be premium parts becsue they are expensive and have a limited lifetime on every vehicle produced.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:53 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,909,608 times
its nt just fuel with crude and refining of it. there are 13K other essential products that would have to be replace without it.Ntural gas can not totally replace crude products by a long shot.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:06 PM

Quote:
How many people need or want late model transmissions? If you need a transmission you're most likely going to fall into this category.
There is an entire industry providing them.

Quote:
How many people are going to need unique transmissions? Not many....

Now how many are going to need batteries? All of them right?

You need to compare apples to apples. These batteries aren't going to be premium parts becsue they are unique or special, they will be premium parts becsue they are expensive and have a limited lifetime on every vehicle produced.
What so frightens you about Hybrids? Nobody is forcing you to buy one. Sales are up on Hybrids. Obviously they have become pretty popular.

Why does that bother you?

Old 08-05-2013, 09:16 PM

Now you're moving the goal posts and I haven't offered my opinions on these cars. My only complaint about electric cars is my tax dollars are going to subsidize production and they aren't paying their fair share of road taxes. Otherwise if you want to drive around in a door stopper have a blast.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Now you're moving the goal posts and I haven't offered my opinions on these cars. My only complaint about electric cars is my tax dollars are going to subsidize production and they aren't paying their fair share of road taxes. Otherwise if you want to drive around in a door stopper have a blast.
Your tax dollars are subsidizing many cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies