Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is "In God We Trust" as official motto and on currency constitutional or unconstitutional?
It is constitutional, keep it 61 59.80%
It is unconstitutional, remove it 41 40.20%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 12:20 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
What religion is God?
The singular form of the pronoun certainly implies it would be a monotheistic one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 04:33 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
"God" is a vague, imprecise term. It could mean Brahma, Allah, Buddha, Ahura Mazda, YWHW, Zeus, Mother Nature, Osirus, Odin, Jesus, Serapis, the Flying Spaghetti Monster, Satan, the big bang, your Aunt Sylvia, Quetzlcoatl ... anything.

It's just a motto.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:39 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,242,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
As a religious person myself, as well as former government worker and professor - I must admit that I believe that the phrase 'In God We Trust' as official motto and on U.S. currency is really unconstitutional, because the government favors religious people (specifically monotheistic) over non-religious, and religion over non-religion. While "God" is not reference to a specific religion, it is still only one God. Some religions believe in numerous Gods, thus 'In God(s) We Trust' would be more constitutional but still favors religion over non-religion. However, 90% of Americans still believe in God, and majority of Americans are Christians.

I myself love the motto, but it does violate our secular constitution. The motto will never be abolished because the Congress and Presidents have supported it, and the U.S. Supreme Court have rejected cases numerous times regards it because they say it does not violate the constitution
I'm a professor too, see my status?

Old 08-05-2013, 04:54 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
"God" is a vague, imprecise term. It could mean Brahma, Allah, Buddha, Ahura Mazda, YWHW, Zeus, Mother Nature, Osirus, Odin, Jesus, Serapis, the Flying Spaghetti Monster, Satan, the big bang, your Aunt Sylvia, Quetzlcoatl ... anything.

It's just a motto.
This is basically the ruling from the SCOTUS. So based upon the ruling it means it's Constitutional. The only argument is then whether you agree with them or not.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:19 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
It does actually. .
Where does the motto ESTABLISH a religion for the nation?

Where?

Old 08-05-2013, 05:22 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
The motto is a clear and obvious violation to everyone who has bothered to read to read the constitution
Oh?

What verbiage in the Constitution makes it unconstitutional? Be specific.

I'm agnostic, btw, so don't go getting your panties in a bunch about how I'm just defending my religion or any of that kind of crap. I argue based on facts and logic.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:45 PM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
What verbiage in the Constitution makes it unconstitutional? Be specific.
It arguably violates the establishment clause, which over time has been understood as being the separation of church and state in the United States.

Thomas Jefferson even spoke at length of a "wall of separation."

Old 08-05-2013, 05:57 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
It does not say which god. God is in our hearts, in our souls and in our minds, so we believe in ourselfs and have faith in ourselves. You are your own GOD.
Now if it said in Jesus we trust,
or in Allah we trust.
or in Budda we trust.
or in Baptist we trust.
or in Catholic we trust
or the Church of America we trust.
or in the church of Obama we trust.

Remember it is freedom of religion, not freedom from religion.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:58 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It arguably violates the establishment clause, which over time has been understood as being the separation of church and state in the United States.

Thomas Jefferson even spoke at length of a "wall of separation."

Thomas Jefferson also held church in the halls of congress, every Sunday morning.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:17 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
You do realize by having a dollar bill with that logo doesn't influence you to be religious or not which is the spirit of the constitution... So, yes, to me it is constitutional...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies