Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 12:00 PM

3,537 posts, read 2,735,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I suppose installing a stent qualifies as "heart surgery", but the operation is quite simple, and involves only a small cut in the inner thigh.
exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 12:11 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,240,412 times
Depending on what medications they have George on, I've heard there was some sort of a conflict with persons receiving a stent and continuing on a Plavix medication regimen.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:39 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,266,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
My wife works in a Cardio Cath lab, they put these in many people each day.

If he is getting a stent that means they caught it before it was a problem and he should be ok going foward. He will be watched very closely for more blockages.
Yep .... Dad had a dizzy spell when visiting us for a wedding 12 years ago - I asked him a ton of questions the next morning, he swore everything was "fine" except that he felt like something was sitting on his chest. I took him to a Dr friend, she called his doctor and they insisted he go straight to the hospital when his plane landed that afternoon. They did 2 stints (one was a 90% blockage) the next morning, and he is still going strong now at 98. The first 6 weeks is the danger period after a stint, every day is better than the day before. He had no previous warning, ate a very healthy diet and had no cholesterol problems prior to the incident. Thinking back, we all agreed that his color had not looked good that week and he seemed unusually tired.

Pay attention to what your body is trying to tell you.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:44 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
George W. Bush has heart surgery for blocked artery

I hope George pulls through this okay.

I didn't know he was susceptible to having heart problems. I wonder what types of medications he's been on for his heart? He must have had some kinds of warnings something wasn't right, either chest pains, dizziness etc..
I wish him well.

Never liked his Presidency but thought he'd be a fun guy to watch a ballgame with.

He should be fine, while any surgery can have complications stents seem to fall on the low end of that scale. And judging by his Mom & Dad he's got some strong genes.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:38 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
George W. Bush has heart surgery for blocked artery

I hope George pulls through this okay.

I didn't know he was susceptible to having heart problems. I wonder what types of medications he's been on for his heart? He must have had some kinds of warnings something wasn't right, either chest pains, dizziness etc..
not necessarily. Many people have minor heart attacks or show other signs of heart trouble all of a sudden. A stint is a very minor procedure compared to actually heart surgery and other heart procedures.

Thanks for letting us know about this. I will be anxious to hear more. BTW, I am surprised they are using the term: surgery, normally cardiologists simply refer to a stint as a procedure.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
I'm thinking eventually that he'll need a bypass.
oh heavens not necessarily. I am guessing 50% of our friends have had stints, including my husband and yes, me. I only know of a couple who have eventually had bypass. Quite often the need for bypass shows up when the tests to determine the severity of a blocked artery or arteries.

Hubby had 3 stents put in (well actually not stents, they were not yet approved, but he had angioplasty) in 1986 and 87. Other than watching his diet and lowering his cholesterol he has done nothing. Yes, he is on blood thinners as well. I had mine put in about 8 years ago. I am not even on blood thinners and have never had another problem.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:42 PM

3,537 posts, read 2,735,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
oh heavens not necessarily. I am guessing 50% of our friends have had stints, including my husband and yes, me. I only know of a couple who have eventually had bypass. Quite often the need for bypass shows up when the tests to determine the severity of a blocked artery or arteries.
yes , years ago it would be open heart for all of these people if they were lucky enough to catch it.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:44 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,240,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
not necessarily. Many people have minor heart attacks or show other signs of heart trouble all of a sudden. A stint is a very minor procedure compared to actually heart surgery and other heart procedures.

Thanks for letting us know about this. I will be anxious to hear more. BTW, I am surprised they are using the term: surgery, normally cardiologists simply refer to a stint as a procedure.
Your "status" says it all, you sound like a caring person.

I know, I hate it when doctors call anything a procedure, and I hate it even more when they say it's routine. That scares the bajesus out of me, which is why I only visit my doc now once a year, she always want's run a battery of tests on me, like I'm some kind of experimental specimen or something.

Didn't George's father have recent heart related problems too? I could google it, but I know most of the hits I'd get would be GWB and not GHWB.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:54 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,511,205 times
1. All the best to W., Laura, and the daughters. Hope to see him around for a long time. Former Presidents seem to have a much cooler, relaxed view on life after 4 or 8 years of self-inflicted pain.

2. If you're gonna die of something, BBQ/Tex-Mex isn't a bad way to go. When I moved from Texas I lost 15 lbs. Good to see the docs caught this early.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Your "status" says it all, you sound like a caring person.

I know, I hate it when doctors call anything a procedure, and I hate it even more when they say it's routine. That scares the bajesus out of me, which is why I only visit my doc now once a year, she always want's run a battery of tests on me, like I'm some kind of experimental specimen or something.

Didn't George's father have recent heart related problems too? I could google it, but I know most of the hits I'd get would be GWB and not GHWB.
continue to take care of yourself and I just want to say, to all that have posted here, especially the leftist and there are quite a few, I am sure Bush appreciates your thoughts. Whatever your views, we should all wish him well. He may not have been the best President, he may have done a lot many didn't approve of or understand, but he is an X Pres. and a human being.
As for his father, I remember back, many years ago, when he was still Pres. he had some type of heart problem, but it wasn't clogged arteries. I want to say, it had something to do with his heart rate, maybe an irregular heart beat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies