Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 07:23 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,123,712 times

Advertisements

I wish somebody would came to my defense when I was assaulted and nearly beaten over a non arrestable offense.

Honestly, his "revelation" is a little too late for me. In his position he should've done his research years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I don't smoke pot....however, when I was young, I tried it...I don't believe it should be legalized, b/c it was just like being drunk...and way to many people shouldn't drive while under the influence of pot.

Now, as far as using it for medical purposes, I don't have a problem with that....

Sounds to me like the doctor, had a change of heart...he flip flopped, maybe b/c he was heavily influenced by drug companies, etc?

Maybe he flip flopped on purpose, who knows, but regardless, that doesn't make him any less credible then those who disagree with him....

Right away, if someone doesn't agree with someone else, they are the most horrible person in the universe???? Why is that? Why can't people simply recognize, that we all don't think and feel alike on subjects, and that's that?

But to discredit him b/c he now makes a public statement that he has rethought med weed?
Do you honestly realize, how stupid it sounds, I mean, REALLY, he is free to have any opinion he wants, as I am as well, and so are you, but just because we disagree, doesn't mean that discredits you or me as a human being? Why take it so far out of the realm of common sense?

Education.

Marijuana Users Are Safer Drivers Than Non-Marijuana Users, New Study Shows

Title1

Reasons Why Marijuana Users Are Safe Drivers - Frankfort & Franklin County, Kentucky

Why Medical Marijuana Laws Reduce Traffic Deaths | TIME.com

Report shows fewer traffic fatalities after states pass medical-pot laws - The Denver Post

Old 08-10-2013, 11:00 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Yes. Heroin should also be legalized, along with cocaine. The utter failure that is the war on drugs is proof that the way to deal with drug abuse is not by punishing drug users. There should be a program of education and treatment, rather than a punitive system that does nothing but destroy families and line the pockets of corporations.

Of course, we could stay on the path we are on now, in which we punish people who use drugs and expect this to magically stop drug abuse. It's a completely ineffective path, and fits Albert Einstein's definition of insanity quite well, but we could keep doing it. I'd prefer to try a different approach in which we treat drug addiction as what is it - a medical condition - rather than as something that deserves incarceration, fines, and confiscation of personal property.

Point number one: It's an article in The Guardian. Try for something a bit more scientific.
Point number two: As further proof that the article is a poor joke, they mention several studies yet there is not a single link to any of them.
LOL...You realize that it will take about 30 seconds to track down every study mentioned in that article, right?

You might want to pick a better fallacy than that weak retort.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
And for every one of these, I can cite another which avers the opposite.
Please do.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:36 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
LOL...You realize that it will take about 30 seconds to track down every study mentioned in that article, right?

You might want to pick a better fallacy than that weak retort.
So you believe that drug addiction should be cause for prosecution?

And if those studies are so easily tracked down, why weren't they included in the article?

Old 08-10-2013, 11:55 AM

I don't have a problem with someone holding opinion. I have a problem when that person's opinion limits my freedom and I'm doing harm to no one else.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:39 PM

27,130 posts, read 15,308,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Which makes alcohol what exactly? Considering it is far more harmful and addictive than cannabis.

Yes, alcohol can lead to drinking After Shave.

I saw it in the military.

About puked when I observed that sick action.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:51 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,042,411 times
I was particularly surprised about his statements about how marijuana is less addictive and dangerous (relatively) than alcohol.

There does seem to be a shift in what the legal status of marijuana use should be.

Old 08-10-2013, 03:25 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,929,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Yes, alcohol can lead to drinking After Shave.

I saw it in the military.

About puked when I observed that sick action.
I was watching an episode of Drugs, Inc. and the focus was a poor town in Alaska where alcohol was prohibited to be served or purchased. Naturally, alcoholism was rampant and nearly every police call and crime was alcohol related. Residents would resort to drinking hairspray and the like to get their fix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies