Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 07:06 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,209,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Man has had a desire to alter his reality for a very, very long time........izzzz dat so rong????????

Seriously there is much bigger fish to fry...freedom of choice has consequences, deal with it Big Brother!
Big government knows what's best for you, big government gets to decide , not you!!!

That is freedom.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:09 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Uh, why not make alcohol illegal since we have such high rates of abuse & drunk driving? As for your statement that only users are fighting to legalize pot, wrong.
Well, we tried that. The point is, one legal drug is bad enough. Look at all the problems we have with legalized alcohol and multiply by any more drugs you legalize.

I really don't get the point of drugs. We don't need them for the purpose of getting high. What a waste.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:09 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Big government knows what's best for you, big government gets to decide , not you!!!

That is freedom.
I also find it interesting the charge of "intent to distribute". If I had a pretty large bag of pot & was slapped with a charge of intent to distribute, I'd be pretty po'd, I would never sell my own pot, that's for me to smoke.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:12 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Well, we tried that. The point is, one legal drug is bad enough. Look at all the problems we have with legalized alcohol and multiply by any more drugs you legalize.

I really don't get the point of drugs. We don't need them for the purpose of getting high. What a waste.
Alcohol is so much more destructive than pot I can't even tell you. Yet alcohol is legal. I don't want to make alcohol illegal at all, I'm simply pointing this out. Maybe you don't get the point of drugs but that's your prerogative, others enjoy drugs. My friend smoked pot when he had cancer, it helped the pain. I don't have cancer, I simply like to smoke pot. That's my prerogative. Do I drive stoned? Hell no. I'm not hurting anyone.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:13 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,209,760 times
Quote:

Freedom isn't perfect, but it is free and that's good enough for me

Old 08-11-2013, 07:48 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Quote:

Because a doctor signs off on a drug it's okay? Why does an adult need permission from someone to put something into their own body?
Prescription drugs are the worst by far. Too many kids are hooked.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:05 PM

30,352 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If you can't do the dime, don't commit the crime. Your friend is a criminal, and he is paying the price for his crimes. Don't' you find it funny that people commit crimes, and then they cry about the unfairness of the law when they get caught?
First of all, my friend is a woman... and when a crime's punishment is UNJUST and UNFAIR (rapists get less time in some cases), she has every right to complain. She has no problem owning up to her mistakes, but five years for a bag of weed?? C'mon, even you can't be clueless & jaded enough to agree that's a fitting punishment. The lawyers agree with her, too, which is why she will likely get it reduced to diversion classes. And for the record, she whined about this law long before she got caught. Why would you assume otherwise?

It's time to stop treating pot smokers like hardened criminals, no matter how much you hate the substance. Would you agree with the decision if our government made drinking alcohol punishable by 5 years in prison? I guess you'd just lay down and take it, since after all, the law is the law!

P.S. My friend lives in backwards Idaho, where they welcome the Aryan Brotherhood with open arms, but treat a harmless pot smoker like they tried to kill someone. She grew up here in CA, though, so got in the habit of assuming pot was no big deal. Guess again!

Last edited by gizmo980; 08-11-2013 at 09:24 PM..

Old 08-11-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
When only a few select drugs are singled out for punishment, while the rest are perfectly legal, then yes we DO need more legal drugs. Either that, or make them all illegal - but why choose one in particular to vilify, especially when some (most) of the legal ones are even more harmful? I guess you just have a selfish outlook on life, so if it isn't something YOU care about, screw everyone whose lives are destroyed by these laws. Is that correct?

Oh, and our problems with alcohol have little to do with it being legal... unless you think everyone abstained during the prohibition years, which even a younger (36yo) person like me knows is 100% false. Actually, didn't they have MORE issues when it was illegal? That whole experiment just led to bootlegging, organized crime, etc, since the people no longer had the legal means with which to obtain their liquor.

Quote:
I don't get the point of drinking alcohol (never liked the stuff), hunting for sport, rock climbing, waking up before noon on a day off, etc. But do you see me pushing for these things to be made illegal? Nope... because unlike you, I am able to separate my personal feelings from logic. If somebody enjoys smoking weed, but isn't hurting anyone and still contributing to society, what's it to you? Legalizing weed isn't a waste, in fact it's a MAJOR waste of taxpayer money to keep it illegal. Don't you get that? Oh wait, I forgot who I was talking to here - so no, you probably do not get that simple concept.

Furthermore, humans (and animals) have been using mind-altering substances pretty much since the beginning of time. Even you probably alter your mind sometimes, whether it's through caffeine, alcohol, sleeping pills, sugar, or whatever... so if you made marijuana disappear from the Earth tomorrow, we'd just find another way to alter the mind. 'Tis human nature, I suppose.

Last edited by gizmo980; 08-11-2013 at 08:58 PM..

Old 08-11-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Obviously, you did not read my post. I didn't say they'd be legal. I said they'd be more of a problem than they are now.
And that is simply your opinion, which is impossible to prove in either direction... well, unless you look at the state of California, and tell me how our crime rates have changed since Prop 215 (and later decriminalization). Oh wait, haven't our crime rates have actually dropped in that time?

I've lived here since 1983 (on & off), and the people didn't suddenly go berserk once they passed 215. Those who already smoked continued to do so, just with a "medical ID," and those who didn't continued with their non-smoking lives as usual. Furthermore, none of the responsible smokers I know suddenly began driving impaired, or otherwise became any less responsible about it... the only noticeable change has been in where we get it, and the lessened risk of buying at state-sanctioned clubs vs the streets.

Quote:
We'd have the same kinds of issues with legalized drugs we have with legalized alcohol. As things are, people try to hide drug use and that curtails activities in the open while on drugs.
Nope, try again. Have you ever been to the Bay Area? Back when pot was 100% illegal, you could still walk down Haight or Market St and smell the marijuana smoke everywhere; you could also walk through Golden Gate Park, and come out the other side with every drug (purchased from street/park dealers) known to mankind. Now that it's legal-ish we keep it about equally as discreet, unless we're in the places where it has never been an issue. And if a "No Smoking" sign is clearly posted, we typically assume that applies to both tobacco and pot.

Quote:
There is no need to legalize drugs. People don't need drugs. That people use them anyway shows disregard for the law and for their own health as drugs, including alcohol mess with brain chemistry. There is no point to drug use. It does not benefit either the individual or society.
How do Twinkies, cigarettes, makeup, and a zillion other legal products benefit society? Why do we NEED them? Answer: We don't, but people should be free to make these choices for themselves. Can you explain the logic behind only legalizing "necessary" stuff, and if so, do you agree everything else that's unnecessary should be illegal too? Just wait until we hit on something you like, and then I bet you'll be the first to cry about unfairness.

Regardless, it's none of your business how other people treat their bodies. Let's analyze your life for a while, and see just how perfect you are... go ahead, tell us how you're exactly the right weight & body fat %, how you never eat anything unhealthy, never drive when you could walk, never go out in the sun, and so forth. I'd love to meet you, if you really are this incredibly perfect.

Quote:
The only people fighting for legalized drugs are users.
Considering you chime in (and then proceed to ignore all logic) on almost every pot-related thread, I think you'd know by now how incredibly false this statement is. Or do you just go "lalala I can't hear you!" whenever someone posts that they're not a smoker but still support legalization? And how do you explain that the overwhelming majority of Americans now support it too? Do THAT many people smoke? Heck, even my mother supports legalizing pot, and she's a 64 year-old who only tried it once in like 1967.

Last edited by gizmo980; 08-11-2013 at 09:46 PM..

Old 08-11-2013, 10:40 PM

Quote:
And cheating in school and stealing as most do those at one point or another too. And lying...you should be able to lie in court because everyone lies...let's just legalize everything that anyone ever does.

Lamest argument to legalize drugs there is.
At least it's better than your arguments against legalizing! Let's see, so far you've given us the following:

- I don't get it
- Pot isn't necessary
- We have enough legal drugs (try using a similar argument in any other case, they'd laugh you out of court)
- I think, but have zero evidence, that it will make people more likely to use in public & drive impaired.

Got anything of substance to add, or should we just make everything illegal if Ivorytickler "doesn't get it?"

Big - I don't get it. - YouTube

Last edited by gizmo980; 08-11-2013 at 11:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies