Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 01:20 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
What is the answer to that question?
That's the whole point. Maybe people who used be called various European ethnicities, but who now call themselves white should find out why they do that if they don't know.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:20 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
It's a made up term, created by the Nixon admin, take it up with him.
So is the "Environmental Protection Agency".

Old 08-15-2013, 01:34 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I'm being for real here.

With what the Spanish did to the Indians and Black slaves in LatAm: why do the people there in 2013; especially in Mexico and Guatemala, try to identify with the white Spaniard in language and culture but in Spain, most "brown" people are looked down on.
They don't call themselves "Hispanic"! That is a term that the US Census came up with in the 1970's to label a group of people who spoke Spanish and as a way to identify them for the Government.
Obviously the US Census has evolved to the point where they ask what nation are you from and what languages do you speak.
I have never heard of a Hispanic or Latino identify themselves as such unless they are talking about a common language or culture as we do in the US.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:40 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,210,320 times
Quote:
I'm being for real here.

With what the Spanish did to the Indians and Black slaves in LatAm: why do the people there in 2013; especially in Mexico and Guatemala, try to identify with the white Spaniard in language and culture but in Spain, most "brown" people are looked down on.
If you guys really believed that Spanish was a White language you would not demonize it as much as you do.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:50 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Harrier writes in "human" when asked for his racial background, or refuses to answer the question(if that is an option).

Harrier is 1/4 Irish, 1/4 German, 1/4 English, and 1/4 Swedish, European ethnicities all.

You can call Harrier a mutt, if you like.

So, what is your point?
I didn't know I was asking a question specifically to the screen name Harrier, when I wrote why do most Americans with European ancestry call themselves white?

Why do you read that as me asking the screen name Harrier why the screen name Harrier calls his or herself white?
And thus if the screen name Harrier answers for his or herself that this answers that question for most Americans with European ancestry who indeed do self identify as white?

The point to the question why do most Americans with European ancestry call themselves white was in response to the question the OP asked. I was saying if he or she answers my question that will answer the question they asked.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:54 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
Quote:
I'm being for real here.

"Hispanic" has become a politically incorrect term used to describe anyone of Latin American descent. Though some find the term insulting, a lot of people who use it think nothing of it. There's a certain pride in being Latin American and I highly doubt it has anything to do with their European ancestry.

A lot of them won't even admit to having any European ancestry and if they do, they don't celebrate it as their roots are in the culture and family they were raised with in Latin America or as the descendants of people from Latin America.

The early Spanish settlers and their descendants created a system of racial stratification where a few elite Spanish-born people were at the top, followed by their Latin-American born Spanish children. Their intention was always to create a massive working underclass of mestizos (mixed Spanish/Native American people) mulattos (mixed Euro-Africans) and Native Americans, which were considered the lowest of the low.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:57 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Science currently has us all originating from the East African Rift Valley.

We're all African. Problem solved.
That's just another false hood from science...... Blacks do not carry the same DNA. 0 neanderthal dna, therefore they can't be the place 'we' all came from.

Don't take my word for it search 'neanderthal dna'

Old 08-15-2013, 02:59 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
That's just another false hood from science...... Blacks do not carry the same DNA. 0 neanderthal dna, therefore they can't be the place 'we' all came from.

Don't take my word for it search 'neanderthal dna'
Just because the DNA isn't the same doesn't mean they didn't originate from the same place.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:01 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,902,620 times
The term i hear most often is "person of color".
What can we say, they are proud of their skin.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:09 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Just because the DNA isn't the same doesn't mean they didn't originate from the same place.
Now ain't that just silly tawkin'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies