Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 11:27 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,575,644 times

Advertisements

This is about a mother, in Maine, with a newborn that if feeding a formula to her baby of superfoods and fresh goats milk. She got reported to DHHS. They came to her door and threatened to take the baby if she did not cooperate. They also are finding her choice to not vaccinate this child, unacceptable.
They feel entitled to impose their authority on raising this child because she is on the WIC program.
So, the moral of the story is that if you want to make choices on behalf of your children, don't let their nose under the tent. iow don't seek financial assistance from them, because they will impose their choices over yours.
If you trust them to make decisions for you, fine, but if you don't, prepare for battle.

Quote:
But when Alorah's WIC doctor found out that she was giving this homemade formula to Carson, she reported it to DHHS, which sent staff member Christie Leighton to Alorah's house. Leighton rudely asked to enter Alorah's house, and demanded that Alorah come with her to the hospital to have the baby evaluated. Leighton also threatened that if Alorah refused, she would take baby Carson away from her and put him in foster care.

"She didn't say where she was from, and asked to come in," said Alorah to The Weekly Packet about her experience with Leighton. "[She] started being very rude and demanded that I go to the hospital with her, and that if I didn't, she would take Carson herself."

Alorah's refusal to vaccinate her child also made her a target of the federal government

As it turns out, Alorah's use of fresh goat milk in her son's infant formula is not the only beef DHHS has with the 17-year-old mother. According to reports, Alorah's MaineCare doctor, Tasha Hoffman, had also repeatedly pressured Alorah to have Carson vaccinated, to no avail.

"We don't do that in our family," said Alorah's mother, Tania Allen, to The Weekly Standard concerning vaccinations and the state's insistence that Carson be brought in for regular checkups, even though he is perfectly healthy. "We only believe in taking babies, people [to the doctor] when you have concerns, are injured or sick."

Even after having Carson examined by the family doctor and given a letter of good health, WIC and DHHS have continued their harassment of Alorah and her family, going so far as to demand that he be brought to a different hospital in Bangor. Alorah has complied with every demand except for having Carson vaccinated, and yet she continues to face undue persecution from the state.
Learn more: Maine doctor calls DHHS on mother for feeding fresh goat milk to her baby
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 11:29 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,001,405 times
Remember claudhopper.... it takes a village.

(Obvious sarcasm)

Old 08-16-2013, 12:24 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,464,969 times
Hahaha, Natural News...that thinks baking soda cures cancer and germs are a hoax created by doctors. Seriously, Mike Adams thinks germs don't exist and they are some conspiracy by "Big Pharma."

You can't make things up that are this stupid or deranged.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:43 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,658,860 times
I don't know what could be wrong with goat's milk.

One of my brothers was allergic to cow's milk after he was born and had to be fed goat's milk.

OTOH, I have no idea what 'super foods' are...

Old 08-16-2013, 12:49 PM

video of the mother here

Brooklin Mother Says State Not Happy With Her Formula Choice - WABI TV5

DHHS said they had no one available to speak with us. But they sent us to websites for procedures they follow, like one from the USDA, which says goat milk is not recommended for infants because of inadequate quantities of certain vitamins.

"I am aware that there is some push back from a lot of community organizations toward parents who take that approach. I don't know what's really driving it other than perhaps some different cultural belief system. I've got plenty of kids in my practice that have been given goat's milk for example and they're growing and developing fine," said Jack Forbush, DO, The Osteopathic Center for Family Medicine in Hampden.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:50 PM

25,974 posts, read 22,164,069 times
Doesn't WIC pay for formula? I wonder if she is getting the formula and selling it since I have seen that done. I would have to agree that the baby should be taken in for regular checkups since SO many conditions can be corrected or enhanced if they are known about early on. Many parents fail to recognize problems in their children until school age.

The state is, after all, paying to raise the child so they do have a vested interest. I would have been happy to comply with the state in doing whatever they wanted if I was getting a check from them and WIC and...................... Sorry but I am on the side of the baby and their reluctance, I would be concerned.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:00 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,792,370 times
Peds MDs. routinely encourage goats milk when infants have demonstrated digestive problems with formula and/or milk. The link is only one side of the story and no doubt there is more to this.

I do not understand why this 17 year old signed on for WIC when she had no intention of using formula or scheduling customary well baby visits with the assigned MD.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Peds MDs. routinely encourage goats milk when infants have demonstrated digestive problems with formula and/or milk. The link is only one side of the story and no doubt there is more to this.

I do not understand why this 17 year old signed on for WIC when she had no intention of using formula or scheduling customary well baby visits with the assigned MD.
I don't know much about this program, but it appears to be for low income to prevent health problems. Her baby has no health problems, so why the interference. I don't think you give up your rights to choose what's best for your child, when you sign up, or do you? She's done everything they asked except for formula and vaccines.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:04 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,878,020 times
this is why the government needs to stay OUT of child rearing unless there is a real issue. in this case it sounds like there is no issue.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:14 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,337,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Hahaha, Natural News...that thinks baking soda cures cancer and germs are a hoax created by doctors. Seriously, Mike Adams thinks germs don't exist and they are some conspiracy by "Big Pharma."

You can't make things up that are this stupid or deranged.
They also say AIDs doesn't exist and that it's a massive scam. Natural News...written by paranoid idiots for gullible idiots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies