Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2013, 10:37 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times

Advertisements

Are atheists mentally ill? No, of course not.

Are religious believers delusional? Probably.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:43 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,168,316 times
How does one believe that atheists are mentally ill but not those who put complete faith & belief in something that hasn't been proven to exist? That's irony.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:44 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
atheist =/= liberal or visa verse. That people lump the two together is an indication of a non logical thought process. "simple thinking" I call it. Christians sometimes refer to it as "childlike", and with pride I might add.

No, atheists don't go around ranting about something they don't believe in because they are mentally ill. They do it as a direct response to the world they live in where bombastic religious ideas are hitting them every which way and being imposed on them whether they like it or not. It's reactionary. If religious people weren't ranting neither would the atheist (opposing view/voice of reason) be. Everyone would just go along with whoever and what ever spoke the prettiest words that made them feel better. THAT may not be mentally ill but it's not good.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:48 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Aw.........I made him mad.

Let's do the math:

I have 1 post to this thread.

You have.................too many to count.

lol.
Ahhh...you get clowned, and now we're changing the subject to how many times someone posts in a thread.

Good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
All extremists are slightly nuts. Atheism is as extreme as being a religious fanatic...To proclaim that you know everything about God is extreme...thus nuts...To proclaim that there is no God is extreme and a bit nuts. How can a sane person say there is no GOD----how would they know? They don't...
Yes we DO know.

If there is one, show him to me. Until you do, there isn't one.

The impetus isn't on non believers to show evidence of the non existence of something none of us has ever seen before. That impetus lies with those who claim God exists.

That's sanity.

Waiting for a rabbi from 2000 years ago to show back up is "sane?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Of course atheists are not mentally ill.

However, this is a HIGHER INCIDENCE of affective disorders among liberal and atheists. A ship with no anchor will often go adrift.
Oh yeah?

Where is your anchor at? Post a photo.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:52 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
It appears so.

"In 2004, scholars at UCLA revealed that college students involved in religious activities are likely to have better mental health. In 2006, population researchers at the University of Texas discovered that the more often you go to church, the longer you live. In the same year researchers at Duke University in America discovered that religious people have stronger immune systems than the irreligious. They also established that churchgoers have lower blood pressure.

Meanwhile in 2009 a team of Harvard psychologists discovered that believers who checked into hospital with broken hips reported less depression, had shorter hospital stays, and could hobble further when they left hospital – as compared to their similarly crippled but heathen fellow-sufferers.

The list goes on. In the last few years scientists have revealed that believers, compared to non-believers, have better outcomes from breast cancer, coronary disease, mental illness, Aids, and rheumatoid arthritis. Believers even get better results from IVF. Likewise, believers also report greater levels of happiness, are less likely to commit suicide, and cope with stressful events much better. Believers also have more kids.

What’s more, these benefits are visible even if you adjust for the fact that believers are less likely to smoke, drink or take drugs. And let’s not forget that religious people are nicer.They certainly give more money to charity than atheists, who are, according to the very latest survey, the meanest of all.

So which is the smart party, here? Is it the atheists, who live short, selfish, stunted little lives – often childless – before they approach hopeless death in despair, and their worthless corpses are chucked in a trench (or, if they are wrong, they go to Hell)? Or is it the believers, who live longer, happier, healthier, more generous lives, and who have more kids, and who go to their quietus with ritual dignity, expecting to be greeted by a smiling and benevolent God?"

Are atheists mentally ill? – Telegraph Blogs

I'm sure some are but so are many others who are not athiest.
They believe or don't believe what they want which is their choice.
There is no way there can be an absolutely accurate "study" regarding athiest, religious or spiritual in comparision to life span or level of happiness.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:57 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Basically I agree. Then again, the more you doubt, the less you believe. I guess religions are built upon blind belief...
Yes- I would say so to a degree. BUT religion usually drifts away from the true idea of God...after all it is concocted by human beings...you have to reach out into eternity to touch God and understand what it is...Books are just manuals - like the Koran and the Bible...they have some nice tips but they also contains myth...and myth is not reality- I just remember what Christ said...regarding the "truth"...his message was divine and brilliant - If you want a heavenly existence on earth- embrace the truth- REALITY. Human imagination is god like as far as our creative ability..but we can imagine things that are not real...that creates deception- delusion and all sorts of problems.

To be honest - I really have no doubt that God exists...I do have my doubts about mankind though.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:00 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
I've got ADHD, but I don't think that it's a cause or effect of not having faith.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:04 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,919 times
no.. people who shove their religion (or lack thereof) down people's throat are sick

Old 08-18-2013, 11:20 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Yes- I would say so to a degree. BUT religion usually drifts away from the true idea of God...after all it is concocted by human beings...you have to reach out into eternity to touch God and understand what it is...Books are just manuals - like the Koran and the Bible...they have some nice tips but they also contains myth...and myth is not reality- I just remember what Christ said...regarding the "truth"...his message was divine and brilliant - If you want a heavenly existence on earth- embrace the truth- REALITY. Human imagination is god like as far as our creative ability..but we can imagine things that are not real...that creates deception- delusion and all sorts of problems.

To be honest - I really have no doubt that God exists...I do have my doubts about mankind though.
Those are the things that sound just ridiculous to me as an atheist

Old 08-18-2013, 11:25 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
atheist =/= liberal or visa verse. That people lump the two together is an indication of a non logical thought process. "simple thinking" I call it. Christians sometimes refer to it as "childlike", and with pride I might add.

No, atheists don't go around ranting about something they don't believe in because they are mentally ill. They do it as a direct response to the world they live in where bombastic religious ideas are hitting them every which way and being imposed on them whether they like it or not. It's reactionary. If religious people weren't ranting neither would the atheist (opposing view/voice of reason) be. Everyone would just go along with whoever and what ever spoke the prettiest words that made them feel better. THAT may not be mentally ill but it's not good.
I really don't give a damn as to what people choose to believe in, but aside from detesting, resenting and being repulsed by proselytizing, it's the hypocrisy that more often than not, goes hand in hand with those that claim to be "righteous".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies