Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 07:12 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,215,643 times

Advertisements

BREAST CANCER AND SOME EPIDEMIOLOGICAL FACTORS: A HOSPITAL BASED STUDY

Study Shows Highest-Ever Abortion-Breast Cancer Risk for Women

A newly-published study shows the highest-ever abortion-breast cancer risk for women of any previously-published study on the link between the two.

A Bangladesh study published in the Journal of Dhaka Medical College on risk factors for breast cancer, led by Dr. Suraiya Jabeen, found a statistically significant 20.62-fold increased risk among women with abortion histories. The new study on the abortion-breast cancer link is by far the highest risk elevation reported among 73 published abortion-breast cancer studies.

“Physical inactivity, being menopause, positive family history of breast cancer and history of induced abortion were found important risk factors,” the authors wrote.

Observing that women in Bangladesh have very traditional childbearing patterns that reduce breast cancer risk, he explained: “Almost all the women are married (97% currently married; the rest widowed) and with child by the time they are 20, and all of the kids are breastfed. Ninety percent had their first child at age 21 or younger (99% of controls did). They typically neither take contraceptive steroids nor have any abortions. Nulliparity (childlessness) or abortion before first full term pregnancy (both of which mean no breastfeeding) in a population in which breast cancer is almost unheard of, makes the relative risk very high.”

Please do not go off the deep end and say that I am saying abortion and contraception will absolutely lead to breast cancer.

It is interesting that a culture without birth control and abortions have virtually no breast cancer cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 07:43 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,269,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

Please do not go off the deep end and say that I am saying abortion and contraception will absolutely lead to breast cancer.

It is interesting that a culture without birth control and abortions have virtually no breast cancer cases.
You have to consider the source...

Breast cancer and abortion: collaborative reanalysis ... [Lancet. 2004] - PubMed - NCBI

INTERPRETATION: Pregnancies that end as a spontaneous or induced abortion do not increase a woman's risk of developing breast cancer. Collectively, the studies of breast cancer with retrospective recording of induced abortion yielded misleading results, possibly because women who had developed breast cancer were, on average, more likely than other women to disclose previous induced abortions.

Induced abortion and breast cancer... [Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2013] - PubMed - NCBI

CONCLUSIONS:
Our study did not show evidence of an association between induced abortion and breast cancer risk.

Induced and spontaneous abortion and inciden... [Arch Intern Med. 2007] - PubMed - NCBI

CONCLUSION: Among this predominantly premenopausal population, neither induced nor spontaneous abortion was associated with the incidence of breast cancer.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:07 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,275,413 times
wow, even many right wingers know that abortion / cancer linkage is ultimate BS.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:14 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,715,709 times
If 70+ studies say there's no correlation (and the body doesn't know the diff between a 'natural' abortion and an induced one), I think I will ignore the one outlier.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:30 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,803,024 times
LOL. Your interpretation is funny. Ever heard the phrase "correlation does not equal causation"? If you had more than a sophomoric understanding of medicine and/or statistics, you would know that this is garbage and you can correlate abortion to many things.

And I'd bet you don't have a good grasp of what it means for something to be statistically significant in a statistical sense - it's not the same as a practical sense. What that means is using the term statistically significant does not mean it's true, very far from it. Look it up why dontcha? Use the Google.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:49 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,523,461 times
I read it was 73 studies that proved it to 53 that did not. Take it or leave it. Also that abortions cause pre-mature birth in other pregnancies. Believe it or not, whatever.

My hubby worked with some Ob/GYNs and they had one patient who could not get pregnant. The problem was too much scar tissue from all the abortions she had had. Believe it or not, whatever.

It probably doesn't matter to a person until it's them that is affected anyway.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:58 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
It doesn't matter OP or Janelle. It wouldn't matter if abortions cause "xxxx" in anyone but yourself. It doesn't add to your arguments one iota. And how you get from breast cancer to babies trying to swim in a toilet in 10 posts is beyond me.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:03 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I read it was 73 studies that proved it to 53 that did not. Take it or leave it. Also that abortions cause pre-mature birth in other pregnancies. Believe it or not, whatever.

My hubby worked with some Ob/GYNs and they had one patient who could not get pregnant. The problem was too much scar tissue from all the abortions she had had. Believe it or not, whatever.

It probably doesn't matter to a person until it's them that is affected anyway.
Scar tissue from too many abortions or perhaps endo? You don't know anything or have info on anyone, please don't come to a debate or start one with "I know a guy...stories".

But let's suppose it WAS scar tissue from too many abortions? What does that mean to me? I don't care.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It doesn't matter OP or Janelle. It wouldn't matter if abortions cause "xxxx" in anyone but yourself. It doesn't add to your arguments one iota. And how you get from breast cancer to babies trying to swim in a toilet in 10 posts is beyond me.
If one won't believe the studies what difference does it make to them? Abortions affects the unborn who have no voice so it does affect others who want to save lives. The studies are out there on cancer, etc. but if they won't be believed what can anyone do about that but everyone knows a life is stopped in an abortion, even abortinists will tell you that.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Scar tissue from too many abortions or perhaps endo? You don't know anything or have info on anyone, please don't come to a debate or start one with "I know a guy...stories".

But let's suppose it WAS scar tissue from too many abortions? What does that mean to me? I don't care.
I know, who cares when it does not involve you? That is my point, so many take that attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies