Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 11:30 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,829,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
We are at the point where on average there is almost one gun for each resident, the explosion of gun purchases the last several years have put guns in the hands of people that really should not have them, the yare irresponsible and careless. There is no denying that America has a problem, Austrailia had similar issues and took action, the solution in the US has always been more guns, less control. When a kid with many issues can get an AK47 that easily we have a large problem.
So why is crime at a 30 year low with all these people with guns that shouldn't have them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 11:43 PM

656 posts, read 2,743,382 times
As an Australian

I find this whole America vs Australia thing going on in this thread a little disturbing

I never even heard about this boycotting the U.S thing even mentioned in the news here. Spoken out of the mouth of nobody ex politician Tim Fischer I really don't think anyone here is taking his quotes seriously

Lets face it. All countries have Politicians that really need to keep their big mouths shut
Most people I have Discussed this matter with down here just think the whole thing is just tragic
But what happened in Duncan could happen almost anywhere around the World. It could just as
easily be an American that is shot in some Australian small town next week. I don't think us Aussies
would expect you to suddenly start boycotting Australia then will we

Old 08-24-2013, 12:02 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,940,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
Shooting of Australian Christopher Lane sparks calls for U.S. boycott - CNN.com

Australian 23-year old student was recently shot by teenagers who were driving around because they were bored and was looking to kill somebody. This is because of Americas lack of gun control (our horrible Constitution needs to be repealed or changed! 2nd amendment suck - this is NOT 18th century anymore).

Now, Australias former deputy prime minister tells other Australians to boycott visiting America because you are 15 times more likely to be shot dead in the USA than Australia per capita per million people.
Shot dead, perhaps, but murdered is another topic. If you look at the per capita murder rate, there isn't that much difference. It doesn't really matter much if you are shot or beat to death with a baseball bat, dead is dead. If Australians don't want to visit the US, I think we will survive just fine. Our 2nd ammendment doesn't need any revisions or repeals, it only needs people like the OP to understand the intent of it.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:23 AM

124 posts, read 196,398 times
I won't be cancelling my trip in October. I'll still be spending 6 weeks in the US touring around without fear LOL.

This whole boycott thing isn't even on Australian's radar - I hadn't even heard of it till reading on here. It's just a load of garbage suggested by a few MORONS. I really don't know why anyone is even taking it seriously!

Old 08-29-2013, 05:46 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,595,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Shot dead, perhaps, but murdered is another topic. If you look at the per capita murder rate, there isn't that much difference. It doesn't really matter much if you are shot or beat to death with a baseball bat, dead is dead. If Australians don't want to visit the US, I think we will survive just fine. Our 2nd ammendment doesn't need any revisions or repeals, it only needs people like the OP to understand the intent of it.
Are you sure about?
List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

USA murder rate is 4.8.

Australia is 1.

USA's murder rate is almost five times higher.

Republican mindblowing ignorance...

Old 08-29-2013, 06:08 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,571,923 times
The real question should be "WTF" are teens doing having loaded weapons? America andi t's gun laws.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:22 AM

1,347 posts, read 955,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
Shooting of Australian Christopher Lane sparks calls for U.S. boycott - CNN.com

Australian 23-year old student was recently shot by teenagers who were driving around because they were bored and was looking to kill somebody. This is because of Americas lack of gun control (our horrible Constitution needs to be repealed or changed! 2nd amendment suck - this is NOT 18th century anymore).

Now, Australias former deputy prime minister tells other Australians to boycott visiting America because you are 15 times more likely to be shot dead in the USA than Australia per capita per million people.
As long as Alice Eve, Abbie Cornish and Rose Byrne keep coming, the rest can stay home.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:27 AM

46,970 posts, read 26,018,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Shot dead, perhaps, but murdered is another topic. If you look at the per capita murder rate, there isn't that much difference.
The US per capita murder rate is 4 times that of Australia - if that's "not much difference", then what constitutes a difference?

Old 08-29-2013, 10:28 AM

46,970 posts, read 26,018,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
So why is crime at a 30 year low with all these people with guns that shouldn't have them?
Why is the homicide rate 4 times that of Australia's?

Old 08-29-2013, 07:50 PM

124 posts, read 196,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Why is the homicide rate 4 times that of Australia's?
Because Americans are lucky enough to be able to shoot scumbags that are trying to rob them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies