Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2013, 12:35 PM

74 posts, read 60,939 times

Advertisements

What if America, after the Civil Rights movement, had created a "Marshall Plan" to rebuild black America in the way that America helped to rebuild Europe (and Japan) after WWII? Why did not America create such a plan for black Americans?

The way I see it is that if America had done that....It mitigates the boomerang effect of its racism. Not only that, such efforts would have the goal of creating equality organically and not via Affirmative Actions and Quotas. When such goals are met, higher black employment and lower poverty would benefit the overall US economy and fewer on welfare and in jails which would reduce the tax burden. Why would not America WANT to make this investment?

Old 08-22-2013, 12:36 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukweli View Post
You might like to be treated with Ice cream.....but another maybe lactose intolerant. Its also not how you treat people directly, but how you treat them indirectly through your vote, through your beliefs, through your lack of understanding and more. If people are in need of help, but you deny them help because you feel they should not need help....what if you are wrong? There is dysfunction in the black American community. Why don't people want to try and fix this using all tools, including the government?

Do you condone what these thugs did? Are you OK with people holding grudges for something that they themselves weren't apart of either? If so, then you are part of the problem. There are many in the black American community that have risen above the BS and have been able to succeed just fine in today's world through their own accountability. You have to want to help yourself, and that goes for white people as well. Having said that, this white person isn't holding you down nor holding other black folks down, nor do I have a desire to.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:38 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,539,013 times
Quote:
What if America, after the Civil Rights movement, had created a "Marshall Plan" to rebuild black America in the way that America helped to rebuild Europe (and Japan) after WWII? Why did not America create such a plan for black Americans?

The way I see it is that if America had done that....It mitigates the boomerang effect of its racism. Not only that, such efforts would have the goal of creating equality organically and not via Affirmative Actions and Quotas. When such goals are met, higher black employment and lower power would benefit the overall US economy and fewer on welfare and in jails which would reduce the tax burden. Why would not America WANT to make this investment?

Rebuild Black Americans? Do you not see the difference between rebuilding a Nation/Country and targeting a certain group of people? Even I see this as a back handed reparation.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:41 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I'm sure marching around the Mall and deifying Trayvon Martin will fix things.

Don’t Ignore Race in Christopher Lane’s Murder | TIME.com
Second thread you have started on this same topic, you aren't fixated on race are ya?

Old 08-22-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Your attitude is exactly the reason whites are leaving inner cities ("white flight") and have been for the last several decades. It is that attitude that continues to balkanize the country more and more as time goes on.
I do not know if you have noticed.....but black Americans are moving to the suburbs.....then where are whites going to go? Is it not also indicative of the problem that you mention no role of white racism in creating this "Balkanization"?

Let me ask you a sincere question. What can racism be blamed for? Whenever black Americans mention racism....its an excuse or discredited somehow. Did white racism produce any negative impacts at all to the degree that Black Americans can righlty point it out as a cause of some problems, directly or indirectly?

Last edited by ukweli; 08-22-2013 at 12:50 PM..

Old 08-22-2013, 12:43 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Never did? As in the past? You need to seriously look back at the history of blacks in this country. This post of yours is about as ignorant as any I've read.
Always the same excuse. People are thru with excuse for such behavior as this thug.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:45 PM

15,531 posts, read 10,504,683 times
Quote:
Well if that is the Golden Rule....then are you suggesting that whites want to be treated as they have treated black Americans for the last 200 years?
The Golden Rule is in present tense, not past.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:48 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
One difference is that only a very small, mostly lunatic fringe will justify what these kids did whereas a lot of people thought, "Good for him," about Zimmerman.
zimmerman shot in self defense. yeah, that's a 'good for him' moment for most folks.

shot in the back from a passing car and left to die? not so much.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Do you condone what these thugs did? Are you OK with people holding grudges for something that they themselves weren't apart of either? If so, then you are part of the problem. There are many in the black American community that have risen above the BS and have been able to succeed just fine in today's world through their own accountability. You have to want to help yourself, and that goes for white people as well. Having said that, this white person isn't holding you down nor holding other black folks down, nor do I have a desire to.
Of course I do not condone what these thugs did. I also do not condone what white racism has done to black Americans or the idea that they should simply "get over it" given the negative legacy past racism has inflicted upon the present. I can hold both thoughts at the same time without it being a contradiction. All I am saying is that history has consquences and whites should not be surprised when they throw the boomerang....that it comes back, whether they or their fathers threw it.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:54 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Of course I do not condone what these thugs did. I also do not condone what white racism has done to black Americans or the idea that they should simply "get over it" given the negative legacy past racism has inflicted upon the present. I can hold both thoughts at the same time without it being a contradiction. All I am saying is that history has consquences and whites should not be surprised when they throw the boomerang....that it comes back, whether they or their father threw it.

As someone who is presumably black, provide us insight into how the legacy of past discrimination would justify black racism that would cause or motivate someone to HUNT DOWN a white person to beat up and/or kill?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies