Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 02:05 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,696,825 times

Advertisements

I'm getting tired of seeing people who keep talking about Stand Your Ground and keep citing the Zimmerman trial as if it was a part of it, It was NEVER used as a defense, it literally had NOTHING to do with it. They even get the law wrong, it doesn't give people the right to shoot "whoever they want" like several media sources keep implying, it simply allows one to use lethal force IF they are in direct life or death situation. The law is very clear on this.

Really I just don't understand why people believe everything that the TV tells them? Try researching things yourselves. I even see crap like this on the daily show where Jon Oliver completely and falsely misinterpretation and spins this into about banning all guns. So much for "just comedy", that show is just liberal propaganda disguised as comedy, and it's scary that so many young people believe everything that show says.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 02:14 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,398,970 times
I reckon they're just "standing their ground"

Old 08-23-2013, 02:15 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,324,646 times
Facts don't get in the way with people who deal primarily in how things make them feel.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:21 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Because ideologues never let facts interfere with their arguments.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:22 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,785,325 times
With such people, it's never about the truth of what happened.

It's about what lies they can fool people into believing.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:23 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,567,226 times
The "Stand your Ground" law wasn't used by the prosecution because Trayvon wasn't a threat to Zimmermann.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:30 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
More complex than that. The SYG laws did not apply as they really deal with the need to retreat before using deadly force. As Zimmerman had no opportunity to retreat SYG did not apply. The defense also ducked the SYG hearing for tactical reasons. They did not wish to give the state an opportunity to cross examine Zimmerman which would really have to happen in an SYG hearing.

However the collection of laws often referred to as SYG was certainly in play. For instance the failure of the police to arrest Zimmerman was based on one of the SYG laws. And Zimmerman likely has protection from a civil suit through another SYG law. So the collection of SYG related statutes is in play even if the primary SYG statute is not.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:31 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,785,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
The "Stand your Ground" law wasn't used by the prosecution because Trayvon wasn't a threat to Zimmermann.
Until Trayvon attacked him.

"Stand your ground" isn't a consideration in a surprise attack you didn't see coming.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:35 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Until Trayvon attacked him.

"Stand your ground" isn't a consideration in a surprise attack you didn't see coming.
That attack is not in evidence. What was asserted and pretty well proved was that Trayvon was winning the fight. And that is what gives Zimmerman the right to shoot.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:43 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
I'm getting tired of seeing people who keep talking about Stand Your Ground and keep citing the Zimmerman trial as if it was a part of it, It was NEVER used as a defense, it literally had NOTHING to do with it. They even get the law wrong, it doesn't give people the right to shoot "whoever they want" like several media sources keep implying, it simply allows one to use lethal force IF they are in direct life or death situation. The law is very clear on this.

Really I just don't understand why people believe everything that the TV tells them? Try researching things yourselves. I even see crap like this on the daily show where Jon Oliver completely and falsely misinterpretation and spins this into about banning all guns. So much for "just comedy", that show is just liberal propaganda disguised as comedy, and it's scary that so many young people believe everything that show says.
I would put the percentage of just plain stupid Americans at about 80%. At least half of that 80% are the types who still think George did something wrong and TrayTray was completely innocent.

My solution is to ignore them and move on. Laugh at them when the opportunity arises. You simply can NOT fix stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies