Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2013, 05:09 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,250,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is what I'm trying to say. There are people who are so obsessed about "Black people and the things they do" to the point where it is basically not even about curiosity. I think it is more about resentment towards Blacks.

You may not base your self-identity on your race, and I certain don't want to see myself through that lens. Am I ashamed of being Black? No, I have no reason to be ashamed. What I am saying is this. 50% of how people judge you is based on how you look. If you look Black, you will be judged by that parameter. It doesn't matter to the other person what you see yourself as. What bothers me is that there are those who will judge me based on the worst of the Black population. Am I willing to call out thugs and trashy people who happen to be Black? Yes I am. I've done it. My problem is with those who try to capitalize on those who call out others as "See, a Black person said it, so it must be true". What bothers me is there are people who won't judge me based on my individual merit and instead, judge me based on other Black people. One person even made a statement that eluded to "your individual merit doesn't count".

Should I care? I shouldn't. Sadly, how people perceive can determine how you get treated, and even your employment outlook.
You should care if people get judged based upon a stereotype that hardly everyone falls under.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:21 PM

73,050 posts, read 62,670,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You should care if people get judged based upon a stereotype that hardly everyone falls under.
I do care. I care because I am not part of that stereotype. I care because it will be costly to me.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:25 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,594,133 times
Quote:
I do care. I care because I am not part of that stereotype. I care because it will be costly to me.

How is it costly to you?

Old 09-03-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukweli View Post
What I have learned about black Americans is that black Americans, among each other, are conservative and often lament criticism and critique of certain negative segments of their community. All the issues that white Americans like to talk about concerning black America, black Americans discuss amongst each other. What they generally will not often do is to air that laundry in concert with whites black inferiority propaganda. Black Americans realize all the problems in their community but they are smart enough not to be "used" by white supremacist. They tend to focus on white racism and its role. I often wonder do whites discuss their dirty laundry, like their long history of racism and the problems it caused others, when they are amongst themselves, or do they just always just look at black Americans as inferior?
I will say this. When I'm in the company of my father, I do feel more comfortable discussing certain things with him. He has said some things about the way some Blacks treat each other, and how it needs to improve. I could understand where he's coming from because he wasn't coming from a position of arrogance or anger. He was not coming from a position of "Blacks are a plague". He was coming from a position of "I know Black people can do better than this if we just did more for each other". What I get alot of on CD is alot of anger, arrogance, and resentment towards Blacks. That kind of mentality is alienating.

And something else to consider. With Bill Cosby, I don't know a single Black person who has an issue with Bill Cosby. Sure, some Blacks got mad at him. However, there are many who agreed. I think one major thing to consider is this. Bill Cosby said what he said in public, basically airing out dirty laundry. I was never mad at him for what he said. I respect what he had to say. I could tell that he actually cares. I think the major concern was that he said things that are normally kept at the dinner table or at the pulpit.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
How is it costly to you?
If I'm perceived to be trouble just because I'm Black, certain consequences come out of that. I've been followed around in a store, and it disturbed me alot. Another thing to consider this. There are some people who have said they prefer not to hire Blacks because they perceive them to be trouble. That is another cost.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:01 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,043,638 times
Quote:
Because there aren't any data about Blacks in Winnipeg, not any viable data. You go find some. I typed in a google search and couldn't find it.

You can't compare Black murder rates in Toronto to the total murder rate in Winnipeg. You are not comparing apples to apples.

I disagree. You CAN compare black murder rates in Toronto to murder rates to Winnipeg. I just did it for you in my previous post. You have a known quantity of blacks in Toronto and you have a known number of black murder victims. Do the per capita calculation (murder victims / black population * 100,000) and there's your answer. You then compare that number to the murder rates of other Canadian cities and the conclusion is obvious. Namely the largest concentration of blacks in Canada also is the most violent compared to anyone else. I don't know how much more simple it can get.

There are 945,000 blacks TOTAL in Canada. Toronto has 400,000 of them which is 42.3% of them. Again this means Toronto has the largest concentration of blacks in ALL OF CANADA. You can combine all the blacks living in Quebec, BC, Alberta and Nova Scotia together and its STILL 30,000 short of the number living in Toronto. The point again is that the ONE SINGLE largest concentration of blacks is also the most violent. This is why per capita is great because it allows you to compare rates of crime and violence and other things even though what you're trying to compare may vary in population size.

Quote:
And if Toronto's entire Black population were to move to the USA and form a city, it would have one of the lowest murder rates for cities of its size, comparable to Minneapolis, and lower than cities like Boston, Pittsburgh, and Las Vegas.
I disagree. I feel a major reason why blacks in Toronto aren't more violent than they currently are is because of more policing and also because blacks in Toronto aren't concentrated in one or two areas all to themselves the way many black populations are in many US cities. IE there is no true black neighborhoods in Toronto, only neighborhoods that have a higher number of blacks living there, but with the same number or more non-blacks living in those same neighborhoods.

This to me is a big reason why we don't see even more black crime because as we've seen so often in US cities, a predominately black neighborhood or area breeds high crime rates. With blacks spread out and living among non-blacks in Toronto, this has an effect of lowering crime.

Quote:
You still haven't explained this. Even with Toronto's Black murder rate being relatively high in comparison to the rest of Toronto's population, Toronto's murder rate is still among the lowest in Canada. Winnipeg, with very little Black population to speak of, has been named Canada's murder capital 16 times since 1981. I'm talking about CITY to CITY. If you can't find the stats for the Black murder rate in Winnipeg, then there is no point.
Why is Toronto's murder rate so low even with high black crime rates? Simple and obvious answer. 7% vs 93%. IE the high crime and murder from the 7% black population in Toronto is FAR offset by the 93% of non-blacks who commit very little crime and murder. That's why I said in my previous post that if Toronto had its 400,000 blacks removed from the city its murder rate would be INSANELY low. On the otherhand can you imagine if the population was 93% black and 7% non-black? Toronto would be SCREWED beyond belief and be as bad if not worse than Detroit or Baltimore in crime.

And again, I NEVER said non-black cities and areas in Canada are all safe and have low crime. I agree that non-blacks commit crime as well. What I AM saying is that the ABSOLUTE WORSE cities with the highest crime rates in Canada are STILL LOWER than the amount of crime being committed by the single largest concentration of blacks in Canada.

Quote:
I have to ask this. Why do you obsess about Black people so much? I'm trying not to, but I feel like I have to defend myself from those who I feel might be trying to attack my ethnicity.
The reason why I 'obsess' about them is because they're the ONE AND ONLY GROUP of people that make an otherwise super safe and clean city less safe and more violent and ghetto the same as they did as when I lived in the US. I'm American and living in Toronto is far and away much better than any city I've lived in in the US, but I just can't help but get angry at the thought at how much safer and even less violent Toronto would be right now if blacks here didn't behave the same as they do in the US except on a smaller scale thankfully.

I interact with blacks everyday and see so many that seem to be decent folk. Especially young black males that I see working at their jobs earning money the right way and I keep wondering why can't all black males be like them and Toronto would be super safe and even better than it is now. So yes I do obsess with blacks because they prevent a great city like Toronto (and many cities in the US) from being even better than they currently are.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
I will say this. When I'm in the company of my father, I do feel more comfortable discussing certain things with him. He has said some things about the way some Blacks treat each other, and how it needs to improve. I could understand where he's coming from because he wasn't coming from a position of arrogance or anger. He was not coming from a position of "Blacks are a plague". He was coming from a position of "I know Black people can do better than this if we just did more for each other". What I get alot of on CD is alot of anger, arrogance, and resentment towards Blacks. That kind of mentality is alienating.

And something else to consider. With Bill Cosby, I don't know a single Black person who has an issue with Bill Cosby. Sure, some Blacks got mad at him. However, there are many who agreed. I think one major thing to consider is this. Bill Cosby said what he said in public, basically airing out dirty laundry. I was never mad at him for what he said. I respect what he had to say. I could tell that he actually cares. I think the major concern was that he said things that are normally kept at the dinner table or at the pulpit.
I imagine most felt that way. Unfortunately those who did not get all the publicity.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
If I'm perceived to be trouble just because I'm Black, certain consequences come out of that. I've been followed around in a store, and it disturbed me alot. Another thing to consider this. There are some people who have said they prefer not to hire Blacks because they perceive them to be trouble. That is another cost.

Wow followed around in a store? My God, how did you ever survive that. Imagine if you were chased by a dog!

Get over it. People are people. If someone wants to judge you because you're black, who cares. It's there right, even if it's founding on a good or bad basis. It's their right. Ive had women who didn't want to date me because I was black. Well if me being black was way more important to that woman that my individual values or character, then it's her right to judge me by that. I just know in the long run I dodged a bullet because I would never want to be with someone so superficial.

People are allowed to judge. When I see a pit bull, I tense up and get a little scared. That's my right to do it. He may be the friendliest pit bull on the planet, but I sure as hell am not about to find out.

Bottomline I use to think like you, that non black people were secretly judging me. Whether they are or not, it doesn't matter. I'm not going to let someone else ignorance ruin my day.

There are plenty of people in this world who will judge you by your character. In the corporate world, I've often have been the only black guy on my team. At the end of the day, my co-workers always respected me as the engineer I am, not because I was black. When I talk business, they see a person talking business, and they forget I'm black. Now do the recognize that I'm black, yes. But at the end of the day, it's pretty inconsequential to most people. The thing is my character and intelligence far outweight my skin color. It's really hard for anyone who knows me personally to even look at my skin color as a viable measure of what I'm all about.

you're only going to be judged by what you look like if who you are is of no value. If someone wants to think all blacks are criminals, let them. You trying to "educate them" isn't going to change their minds. It's already made up. you can't control how they think. Maybe if you spent more time developing your character, instead of living in the paranoia of being "judged", life will become much more happy and positive.

Just food for thought.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
How is it costly to you?
If he was in NYC Mayor Bloomberg would see that he gets hassled for simply walking down the street while black.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If he was in NYC Mayor Bloomberg would see that he gets hassled for simply walking down the street while black.

So every black person who is seen walking in Manhattan gets pulled over by the police? the NYPD must be the best police force in the world, because I would think that would be hard to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies