Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Comments Require an Open and Real Profile?
Yes, it creates accountability 31 46.97%
No, anonymous posting is more truthful 21 31.82%
Some sites should require a profile and others should be anonymous 3 4.55%
The NSA knows who you are anyway, so what's the difference? 11 16.67%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 07:57 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
I would love for CD to do the same. I have no problem with my real identity associated with my posts. A good investigator could probably find my real identity with all the information I've put out over the years.

As for the bomb-throwers, ranters, cranks, they would probably just go hide back under their bridges.

Since one of my ancestors was burned at the stake for something he said, I have a much different take on Internet anonymity.

It's just a fact that the left relies on intimidation to silence political opponents because (in almost all cases) left-wing ideology cannot be defended with logic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 07:59 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
See, when people are anonymous......they can speak their mind, say what they TRULY feel.

People speaking their mind really, really offends Liberals (except for lib-approved PC talk).

With the advent of the internet and internet forums......the thin and phony veneer about all the multi-culti kumbaya nonsense is vaporized.

I read many of the comments about the recent brutal killings of some White Americans...........wow, there is a LOT of animosity built up towards a certain "segment" of society.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:00 PM

45,203 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
It is good for them because it puts a face with the comment, it will probably reduce pointless comments and reduce the amount of spam or trolling comments they have to delete.
funny you would advocate for something that would silence you.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:01 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,472,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Apparently, the Huffington Post is tired of "trolls" on its site making comments and will now ban anonymous comment posting (though it is unclear how):

Huffington Post to ban anonymous comments - CNN.com

My guess is that these "trolls" are people criticizing the stories, but I could be wrong. I have noticed that many sites require you to log in a facebook or other somewhat trackable account to post these days. CD is still somewhat anonymous, though, absent some extra security measures, people who know what they are doing can find out who you are. So my question is: do you think people should be able to post with some amount of anonymity, or should everyone have complete accountability for their speech?
It wont make a difference. ESPN did the same thing and people are still posting racist drivel on the site.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:01 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
I would love for CD to do the same. I have no problem with my real identity associated with my posts. A good investigator could probably find my real identity with all the information I've put out over the years.

As for the bomb-throwers, ranters, cranks, they would probably just go hide back under their bridges.
Your real name is Smoke_Jaguar4?

Your mom had a good sense of humor.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:05 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
See, when people are anonymous......they can speak their mind, say what they TRULY feel.

People speaking their mind really, really offends Liberals (except for lib-approved PC talk).

With the advent of the internet and internet forums......the thin and phony veneer about all the multi-culti kumbaya nonsense is vaporized.

I read many of the comments about the recent brutal killings of some White Americans...........wow, there is a LOT of animosity built up towards a certain "segment" of society.
Many people don't come online to say what they feel as an anonymous poster. As an anonymous they post all sorts of crap that they would never dream of saying to ANYONE IRL, because they have a the internet sickness and want to be as disgusting as possible to feed that sickness.

When a person has something legit to say, non disgusting legit, they don't care who knows.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:10 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Good for Huffington Post, as for how one should post. I think that is more of a personal choice as well as a business choice. You don't have to identify yourself in posts but a company can also deny you posting on their site for that reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The flip side of that coin is they can chill dissenting opinion and otherwise silence ideological opponents as is the preferred tactic of the left.

A left-wing propaganda site isn't much use if just anyone can come along and expose the lies, half-truths and distortions without fear of retribution.
Quote:
It is a private company.

Yes it is, and they are free to follow in the footsteps of DU if they like.

I'm really surprised they hadn't done this sooner.

It must be tremendously embarrassing for them to pay a writer to slant the news in one of their articles only to have an anonymous poster disassemble their propaganda in short order and without fear of consequences for doing so.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:11 PM

45,203 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Posters with fake user names complaining about other posters who use fake user names = another one for the "you cant make this **** up" files

Old 08-24-2013, 08:31 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
The truth is anyone who would use their full real name on an internet forum is an idiot beyond my wildest imagination.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:40 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
funny you would advocate for something that would silence you.
They are a private company, they can do whatever they want with their own site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies