Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2013, 12:56 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,473,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I would like to see those numbers. In other countries pay is based a lot on location.

Location, but also supply and demand.

I recall a few years back being in Destin, Florida, where at a Burger King they were advertising Help Wanted @ $10/hr.

Obviously this is location specific, but was also problem an available supply problem, as there was most likely a glut of hospitality and no-skill jobs available for people to work.

In most places, however, the opposite is true: more unskilled workers than jobs for them to do. And it's not getting any better as America continues to welcome with open arms the poor, uneducated and unskilled from other nations.

$15-$20/hour is what managers and even TEACHERS get paid in some parts of this country.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:02 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,983,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
OK, what skills do they bring to the industry that would warrant more pay? What will make THEM a VALUABLE asset to the company?

Fast food is truly an entry level job. It's where one goes to learn basic job responsibilities. Between home and job, you then start looking for another job, not fast food, that pays better. You WORK for it. If you feel so bad for them, then go donate your dollars.

Yes, there are some skilled folks that got stuck in that job. But, many did it to themselves. Having kids super early in life, getting tattooed up, piercings, etc.

You have got to understand that most of these people choose the path they go down.
I would like for you to stand there, in their face and make those outrageous statements....You are behind the times, this country has turned into a service one. Most of the jobs that can be had are from that sector. The reason these fast food operations have grown into a gold windfall for the owners, IS the fact that costs have been cut by contracts, intimidation, and low wages.. There IS a reason you will find a McDonald in almost every town above 5,000 people. ...This strike is quite different than any other. These people are fighting for their lives. , so are ALL service workers, most have not seen their pay go up along with other costs, thats regardless of the fact " its a training Job" kinda crap, or "part time school kids". Check the numbers, you will find the majority of workers are living off this slave labor wage....they are on food stamps, welfare, and any other help they can get to survive. WE the people are subsidizing the coffers of fat cats that have had record profits. More power to them ...,but not from MY taxes. !

Old 08-29-2013, 01:10 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,710,483 times
Quote:
I would like for you to stand there, in their face and make those outrageous statements....You are behind the times, this country has turned into a service one. Most of the jobs that can be had are from that sector. The reason these fast food operations have grown into a gold windfall for the owners, IS the fact that costs have been cut by contracts, intimidation, and low wages.. There IS a reason you will find a McDonald in almost every town above 5,000 people. ...This strike is quite different than any other. These people are fighting for their lives. , so are ALL service workers, most have not seen their pay go up along with other costs, thats regardless of the fact " its a training Job" kinda crap, or "part time school kids". Check the numbers, you will find the majority of workers are living off this slave labor wage....they are on food stamps, welfare, and any other help they can get to survive. WE the people are subsidizing the coffers of fat cats that have had record profits. More power to them ...,but not from MY taxes. !
Yet unemployment is going down..more people are working.
The recovery is on track.

Would you work at the same job for 10 years at min wage ?
And then have 2 kids while working min wage ?
10 years daystar. That's going back to 2003 and you never thought to leave for better work ?

'Super-size' strike: Why fast-food workers walked out for higher wages - CSMonitor.com
“Nancy Salgado, 26, of Chicago, earns $8.25 an hour, Illinois' minimum wage, as a McDonald's cashier, though she has worked for the company for 10 years. Ms. Salgado, who has no health benefits, says she relies on Medicaid to provide health care for her two children and often skimps on their clothing purchases,” reports USA Today.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:11 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,489,006 times
Quote:
No, they are not trying hard enough. I know every time I go into a McDonalds, I see at least half sporting iPhones, or other higher end smart phones. Not cheap flip phones. If they entered a contract for the phone, they are paying to much every month for stuff the dont NEED. These people can get out of the fast food life if they want to.

Ill be damned if they get some cry baby raise as I worked 3 jobs at one time to get to where I am today. Forget this nonsense. The work they do is not worth 10+ dollars an hour period.

Even if we got them to 15 an hour, what good is that going to do. Thats not enough to buy them a house and raise a family, and save for retirement.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:13 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,707,275 times
The notion that "a trained monkey could work a fast food job" is a fallacy. Not and do it right anyway.

A fishin' buddy of mine who owns eleven McD's franchises told me so. Several of his stores are in the top 100 highest grossing and it's crazy how fast those workers have to move in an ultra high-volume store. He starts them at $10-something an hour (high COL area) and many work up to $15 or more. He asks a lot of them though, in terms of top notch customer service and transaction times. He claims that he makes more in the long run when the customers are happy and keep coming back.

He's not a billionaire, but he does very well....I was out on his 105 foot motor yacht the other weekend.

One thing though, he will not hire an American-born worker.... let alone a teenager. They're all immigrants from his managers on down.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:14 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,983,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Location, but also supply and demand.

I recall a few years back being in Destin, Florida, where at a Burger King they were advertising Help Wanted @ $10/hr.

Obviously this is location specific, but was also problem an available supply problem, as there was most likely a glut of hospitality and no-skill jobs available for people to work.

In most places, however, the opposite is true: more unskilled workers than jobs for them to do. And it's not getting any better as America continues to welcome with open arms the poor, uneducated and unskilled from other nations.

$15-$20/hour is what managers and even TEACHERS get paid in some parts of this country.
Its a plight of the low class people, who work the low paying jobs, that live in the low class homes on the poorest side of town, that are on food stamps, welfare, public assistance, all paid for with our tax dollars, something wrong with that !
You are right about cinding workers to work. I lived in a small wealthy resort town in the south for 18 years. When McDonald came in, you never heard so much complaining by management. Well , they were forced to double the pay, just to get people to work there. Then there is the oil fields where I have been told Tin Hortons has gotten so desperate that they are flying on workers from third world countries for the jobs, and its not because of pay, its because of shortage of workers.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:16 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,297,598 times
We actually have a pretty decent system for rationing jobs and determining what they're worth. Supply and demand of the labor market. Is there a deficit in the supply? Is the job difficult? Are the barriers to entry significant? Is there a lot of responsibility, risk, danger, or effort involved? Is it physically taxing? Does it take specialized knowledge or experience? Is there a glut of people who *could* do the job because it doesn't require much?

Nurses are in great demand. Nursing is paying pretty well.

Any ar$eh0le can work fast food, so it doesn't pay very well.

Again, make no mistake, I would be an outstanding fast food employee at $15 / hour for 16 hours a week. I would probably do it, too (if this ridiculous notion were ever to come to pass).

A vast minimum-wage increase *would* be a good way to spur some serious inflation, which would reward debtors (including the US government / US public). Entry-level positions at my company would jump to $70K / year, and the cost of virtually everything would undergo some massive price hikes. Hmm........

In the CNN article, the subject has three kids at age 24 and makes $7.24/hour. Unfortunately, kids, especially multiple kids, are a luxury item.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:17 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,223,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
How about these big companies who are amazingly wealthy live up to their social responsibility to the U.S. where they operate by paying their employees enough money to support themselves and not have to rely on public assistance in order to feed themselves and their families?
If you want to feed and raise a family I'd suggest shooting for something higher than McDonald's as a career choice because it's just not going to cut it. It will however provide you with some spending money through your younger years.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:19 PM

7,830 posts, read 6,422,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
The notion that "a trained monkey could work a fast food job" is a fallacy. Not and do it right anyway.

A fishin' buddy of mine who owns eleven McD's franchises told me so. Several of his stores are in the top 100 highest grossing and it's crazy how fast those workers have to move in an ultra high-volume store. He starts them at $10-something an hour (high COL area) and many work up to $15 or more. He asks a lot of them though, in terms of top notch customer service and transaction times. He claims that he makes more in the long run when the customers are happy and keep coming back.

He's not a billionaire, but he does very well....I was out on his 105 foot motor yacht the other weekend.

One thing though, he will not hire an American-born worker.... let alone a teenager. They're all immigrants from his managers on down.

Sounds like he should not be allowed to own a McDonald's franchise.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:21 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,710,483 times
What "social responsibility" do any of these corporations have ?

This is a dog eat dog world people.
Companies aren't running charity services here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies