Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 03:21 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Yes, down from 50 million...I'm glad, don't get me wrong....but there will still be people without insurance... which is not what was promised....
Errr no, that is what was promised.

The Cost and Coverage Implications of the ACA Medicaid Expansion: National and State-by-State Analysis | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3001814/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 03:26 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,099,738 times

No need to lie bob, obama stated in 2007, that "his plan was every American will be insured."

Deny the quote bob...

Quote:
"My plan begins by covering every American. If you already have health insurance, the only thing that will change for you under this plan is that the amount of money you will spend on premiums will be less," Obama said. "If you are one of 45 million Americans who don't have health insurance, you will after this plan becomes law."
Errr....now what bob?

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-250_162-2863074.html

Old 08-29-2013, 03:29 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times
Quote:
Well, you have changed your tune from a few posts ago...
I admit my numbers were off. I corrected them when I did further research. Otherwise, I don't think I've changed my tune.

Quote:
But, listen, change needs to happen, no doubt...but do you really think change needed to happen like it did?

Righties don't want to push grandma off the cliff as suggested by the lefties.....

Lets not forget how many time the house and the senate have been blue or red and nothing was done....

Preexisting conditions need to be taken care of, no doubt.

Sorry, but the way it was passed was not the right way to do it....

I also don't care if it was a rightie plan many years ago....the righties never attempted to push it through....
That's the thing, though, the right has never suggested anything. They seemed content to allow things to go on as they were. I don't like the way this was passed, either, but I bet you and I have different perspectives on that as well, so I won't go there.

What I would like to see is the GOP put forth some constructive ideas, which they STILL have not done, three years after passage. Where are their ideas to fix the problem? All we hear is, repeal, repeal, repeal. Then what? We never hear what comes next, because they have no ideas of their own.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
No need to lie bob, obama stated in 2007, that "his plan was every American will be insured."
Yes, that was the PLAN he put forth to the American people as he was running for office. But he couldn't implement his plan without the help of Congress, and we all know how that went.

Quote:
"My plan begins by covering every American. If you already have health insurance, the only thing that will change for you under this plan is that the amount of money you will spend on premiums will be less," Obama said. "If you are one of 45 million Americans who don't have health insurance, you will after this plan becomes law."
Yep, candidate Obama laying out his hope to pass universal health care. If only we had gotten that, then 100% of Americans would be covered. Alas, the GOP was not going to allow it...

Old 08-29-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
I admit my numbers were off. I corrected them when I did further research. Otherwise, I don't think I've changed my tune.
It's not that your numbers were off, you were on some rant about how states would not allow people to be on medicaid or something....

Quote:
That's the thing, though, the right has never suggested anything. They seemed content to allow things to go on as they were. I don't like the way this was passed, either, but I bet you and I have different perspectives on that as well, so I won't go there.

What I would like to see is the GOP put forth some constructive ideas, which they STILL have not done, three years after passage. Where are their ideas to fix the problem? All we hear is, repeal, repeal, repeal. Then what? We never hear what comes next, because they have no ideas of their own.
Why should the right provide anything? They voted no, hell even nancy pelozi stated she had no clue what was in it.....

Maybe you miss understood me, you understand that over the last 20+ years the dems have owned both the house and the senate (during the same time time frame) and they did nothing during this time frame...and the same with the repubs....

What I would like to have seen happen is something other than here...take this and we will deal with it down the road....

Also, the cost...holy crap....3 times over the 900,000,000,000 price tag....

Old 08-29-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Yes, that was the PLAN he put forth to the American people as he was running for office. But he couldn't implement his plan without the help of Congress, and we all know how that went.

Yep, candidate Obama laying out his plan for universal health care. If only we had gotten that, then 100% of Americans would be covered. Alas, the GOP was not going to allow it...
Wait, so you mean ACA did not pass? Boy, that is going to surprise a lot of people?

Old 08-29-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Wait, so you mean ACA did not pass? Boy, that is going to surprise a lot of people?
Don't be disingenuous. ACA is not the universal healthcare plan he is talking about in that link you provided. It's a compromise; the best that could get through a House hellbent on obstructing everything. But you knew that.

Again, where are the GOP's ideas? What's this mysterious "replace" we keep hearing about?

Old 08-29-2013, 03:46 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Quote:

Deny the quote bob...

Errr....now what bob?

Obama Unveils Universal Health Care Plan - CBS News
That was his plan in 2007 for a UHC system. The ACA is not a UHC plan, it's the Heritage Foundation based plan that may well turn out to be the first step towards a UHC system.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
It's not that your numbers were off, you were on some rant about how states would not allow people to be on medicaid or something....
Part of the way the ACA works is it expands Medicaid to cover more low income people. The SC ruling struck down the provision saying that states must expand their Medicaid coverage; they can now choose to opt out if they want. This created a gap which will leave millions of low income people with no access to coverage if a state decides not to expand its coverage, which many states controlled by the GOP have stated is their intention.

In the state of Kansas, for instance, which has stated they will not expand coverage, more than 58,000 people will fall into the gap and have no access to affordable coverage options. If Kansas does not expand Medicaid the state will not receive about $5.3 billion in additional federal Medicaid dollars between 2013 and 2022, and the state's hospitals would receive about $2.3 billion less in state and federal Medicaid payments for uncompensated care over the same period.

Report: States not expanding Medicaid stand to benefit most from doing so | Kansas Health Institute

“Our analysis shows it’s in the best economic interests of states to expand Medicaid under the terms of the federal Affordable Care Act,” Carter Price, the study’s lead author, explained in a press release. “State policymakers should be aware that if they do not expand Medicaid, fewer people will have health insurance, and that will trigger higher state and local spending for uncompensated medical care.”

STUDY: States Refusing To Expand Medicaid Will Lose Out On More Than $8 Billion | ThinkProgress

The GOP led legislatures and governors in these holdout states are playing politics instead of looking out for the best interests of their constituents, and that is unconscionable.

Last edited by HeyJude514; 08-29-2013 at 04:15 PM..

Old 08-29-2013, 04:18 PM

[quote=HeyJude514;31191643]Don't be disingenuous. ACA is not the universal healthcare plan he is talking about in that link you provided. It's a compromise; the best that could get through a House hellbent on obstructing everything. But you knew that.

So tell me, who was the speaker of the house in 2010 when this was passed?

Quote:
Again, where are the GOP's ideas? What's this mysterious "replace" we keep hearing about?
Again, why? When they did not pass it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies