Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 12:52 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,401,046 times

Advertisements

Obama offers new gun control steps

Lame excuse for taking a back road to banning a gun that has little to do with crime yet he arms drug dealers and muslim fighters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 01:09 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,947,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post

Lame excuse for taking a back road to banning a gun that has little to do with crime yet he arms drug dealers and muslim fighters
It speaks of military grade weapons, so if they are talking about fully auto combat weapons such as AK's who cares since you cannot legally own one with a special licence and it should remain that way.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:18 PM

46,311 posts, read 27,124,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
It speaks of military grade weapons, so if they are talking about fully auto combat weapons such as AK's who cares since you cannot legally own one with a special licence and it should remain that way.
How do you know? What about M1s, and other non fully auto weapons...not everything that went overseas was fully auto.

And did you mean you "can" legally own a full auto with a special license?

Old 08-29-2013, 01:23 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,389,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post

Since they are stymied legislatively, Obama and his JD are taking as much unilateral action to close gun ownership loopholes through policies and executive orders as possible. Nothing the next Republican president won't reverse on Day One ( assuming there ever IS another Republican president )

Old 08-29-2013, 01:28 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,947,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
How do you know? What about M1s, and other non fully auto weapons...not everything that went overseas was fully auto.

And did you mean you "can" legally own a full auto with a special license?
I have not seen the list so until then cannot comment except for the military grade point.
Yes, you can own a fully auto weapon, it takes a Federal licence and background check and they are not cheap, I have known several people, all collectors, that had them.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:30 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,788,452 times
Quote:
What on Earth is a "military grade weapon"?

Somebody is "grading" weapons now?

And there's some standard that a weapon must pass to be used by the military? (Other than, "We'll buy 100,000 of them"?)

And, what "special license"? I've never heard of such a thing.

I can buy a full-auto AK, and I don't have any "special license". (Is a driver's license "special"?). All I have to do is pay the NFA tax and fill out the paperwork. And in fact, one U.S. Federal court has already found that tax to be unconstitutional.

And I already own an M1 Garand identical to the ones Obama is now talking about banning.

You can always tell when somebody who knows nothing about weapons, is talking about them anyway.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
I have not seen the list so until then cannot comment except for the military grade point..
But you did comment, I understand what you are saying, but if we don't know what they want to sell us back, why not take them?

Military grade does not always mean "fully auto."

I don't know about you, but I would love an M1 from back then....

Quote:
Yes, you can own a fully auto weapon, it takes a Federal licence and background check and they are not cheap, I have known several people, all collectors, that had them.
Yes, I understand....but at least give the collectors the ability to buy them...just not say "no."

Old 08-29-2013, 01:38 PM

Remind me again, how many crimes have been committed with these US-made exported antique military-surplus guns?

And how many crimes have been committed with full-auto guns, short-barrelled shotguns etc. registered to corporations instead of private owners?

(Hint: You've got more chance of getting hit by lightning than of getting shot with one of these guns)

How, exactly, is banning these guns going to "reduce crime"?

Old 08-29-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Remind me again, how many crimes have been committed with these US-made exported antique military-surplus guns?

And how many crimes have been committed with full-auto guns, short-barrelled shotguns etc. registered to corporations instead of private owners?

(Hint: You've got more chance of getting hit by lightning than of getting shot with one of these guns)

How, exactly, is banning these guns going to "reduce crime"?
You have a better chance of being killed by blunt objects than fully auto, shotguns, or rifles combined...

Could you imagine, lets say an M1 got on the streets....I would have to wonder if they knew how to even load it....and it cannot be concealed...

But, hey, the gun haters are overjoyed right now....even though it does nothing...

Old 08-29-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
You have a better chance of being killed by blunt objects than fully auto, shotguns, or rifles combined...

Could you imagine, lets say an M1 got on the streets....I would have to wonder if they knew how to even load it...
Anybody can load an M1.

Once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies