Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 03:30 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,778,165 times

Advertisements

My 9 YO daughter would smoke his arse at reading
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 04:35 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
I find it hysterical that the usual suspects in here are bemoaning the contest cuz the kid is getting the shaft.

Question: Why the f**k do you need a contest and/or prizes in order to read or do anything else for that matter?

I've never competed against anyone/anything in my life that was a more formidable foe than my own expectations of myself. That includes getting out of the ghetto, getting out of poverty, earning my college degrees, securing every job I've ever had, and every football game I ever played in school. I've never in all my life understood this mentality that society's rewards/standards are the gold standard of life. I take that back...I did so when I was the age of these kids.

You folks in this thread should know better though. Parents let their kids quit cuz they got their asses handed to them? F*ck that! Try again for YOU. Set your own goals and push yourself. If I gave up every time I got my ass kicked by society's standards I'd be dead by now. Then the mother of the contest winner moans cuz they picked on her kid. Another f*ck that. Challenge your kid to do something else. Being petty in the face of pettiness sets a poor example. If she was really interested in her son bettering himself he wouldn't be competing in something that is so easy for him to win. Tell him it's time to move on. Maybe steer him into something that he isn't so good at so he can get his ass kicked, work thru it, compete, and improve on his terms.

THIS is what's wrong with this country.

Mainstream liberals want to throw competition out the window cuz feelings get hurt.

Then the mainstream conservatives b-itch and moan about it cuz they view life as some kind of game which can only be measured in arbitrary rewards.

It's the same s&@t different day with both groups.

Now go ahead and blast me.

I'm expecting the worst from the mainstream cons. B-itch about everything nowadays. At least mainstream liberals think "feeling good" is ok. Too bad they think they can manipulate how a flea takes a bite out of a dog's rear.

Damn this struck a chord with me.

Last edited by No_Recess; 08-29-2013 at 06:04 PM..

Old 08-29-2013, 05:56 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,733,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
The wussification of America continues. Isn't it wonderful?

Yay! Instead of rewarding hard work let's pick a winner at random so nobody's feeling get hurt!

Librarian slams 9-year-old for reading too much | New York Daily News

you know its the white mans fault. right.. is wussification in the dicktionary like the word mon..

Old 08-30-2013, 08:51 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,347,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
you know its the white mans fault. right.. is wussification in the dicktionary like the word mon..
I figured it must be Bush's fault.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:05 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,156,738 times
I'll bet Obama is to blame for this.

"Blame Obama! Blame Obama! Blame Obama!"

Old 08-30-2013, 09:41 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
My 9 YO daughter would smoke his arse at reading
LOL! I was thinking my son could have beat him as well. I remember I read over 500 books one summer and more than half was novels. I would have blew him out of the water!! LOL. I won a Star Wars bike that year with a big fat banana seat and pictures of Ewoks on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I find it hysterical that the usual suspects in here are bemoaning the contest cuz the kid is getting the shaft.

Question: Why the f**k do you need a contest and/or prizes in order to read or do anything else for that matter?

I've never competed against anyone/anything in my life that was a more formidable foe than my own expectations of myself. That includes getting out of the ghetto, getting out of poverty, earning my college degrees, securing every job I've ever had, and every football game I ever played in school. I've never in all my life understood this mentality that society's rewards/standards are the gold standard of life. I take that back...I did so when I was the age of these kids.

You folks in this thread should know better though. Parents let their kids quit cuz they got their asses handed to them? F*ck that! Try again for YOU. Set your own goals and push yourself. If I gave up every time I got my ass kicked by society's standards I'd be dead by now. Then the mother of the contest winner moans cuz they picked on her kid. Another f*ck that. Challenge your kid to do something else. Being petty in the face of pettiness sets a poor example. If she was really interested in her son bettering himself he wouldn't be competing in something that is so easy for him to win. Tell him it's time to move on. Maybe steer him into something that he isn't so good at so he can get his ass kicked, work thru it, compete, and improve on his terms.

Mainstream liberals want to throw competition out the window cuz feelings get hurt.

Then the mainstream conservatives b-itch and moan about it cuz they view life as some kind of game which can only be measured in arbitrary rewards.

I'm expecting the worst from the mainstream cons. B-itch about everything nowadays. At least mainstream liberals think "feeling good" is ok. Too bad they think they can manipulate how a flea takes a bite out of a dog's rear.

I don't remember anyone speaking ill of this kid or the fact that they should not exclude him.

Also, what is wrong with a prize for a competition. Do you work for free everyday? I know I don't and I know when I can get a bonus I will go out of the way to get it.

I would still have read in the summer as a kid without the contest, but it did make reading a whole lot more rewarding for me winning all the prizes I did. I also think it rewards kids like Tyler and his family who use the library for actual book reading instead of computer use. Our local librarian told me that we are one of only a few families at our little branch who actually take out books. Most everyone else just wants to get on the computer and play games.

Then the OP brought race into the mix for some odd reason. I think you "conservative" or GOP or whatever you are people who are complaining about "liberals" and trying to act like someone is blaming "the white man" need to get over yourselves. No one is.

I am black and beat all the white kids on contest like this. It was usually between me and a white girlfriend and I wanted to beat her but not because she was white, but because we were the two best, most voracious readers in our neighborhood. She was still my friend when I beat her. And I let her ride my Ewok bike .

Old 08-30-2013, 09:43 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Tell me about it...my kid's school lowered the bar to where a 60 is now passing this year.
Every day...we keep thinking home schooling may be best.
NCLB = No child gets ahead.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:45 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
"Lower the bar" mentality at work.
Pretty much.

Isn't this why they took women's softball out of the Olympics...because the US won it every time? That should motivate other teams to improve, not discourage them from competing. Everyone's a whiner nowadays.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:46 AM

1,969 posts, read 6,392,478 times
Saying everyone's special is the equivilant of saying no one is.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:54 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post

Competition or contests inspire and drive achievement for many. Maybe not you though.

This isn't a new thing. I think it is human nature and has been around probably since cave man days. Maybe they had contests to see who could build the best spear. And then a contest for greatest distance and accuracy.

There is nothing wrong with it. I happen to believe competition is a healthy thing most of the time.

As some in the child psychology business are now realizing, the decade old "self esteem" emphasis is being debunked. They found that self esteem arises when it is earned, rather than being given. Kids feel best about themselves when they accomplish something. It doesn't help to make them "feel good" even when they fail or do nothing notable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies