Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2013, 09:33 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnBound14 View Post
Exactly. One of the very few benefits of living in the bible belt is this filth won't fly here.
No, we just have abstinence only sex ed, and some of the highest teen pregnancy rates in the country.
But if that works for you.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:36 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
No, we just have abstinence only sex ed, and some of the highest teen pregnancy rates in the country.
But if that works for you.
We have the highest teen pregnancy rates in the world, not just the US.
And we have that for quite some time.

It's not a new issue and it's not declining at the same rate of other first world countries.
Sex ed has been in the schools for a long time now.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:41 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,208,953 times
Quote:
Exactly. One of the very few benefits of living in the bible belt is this filth won't fly here.
I'm guessing you live in Tennessee. Are you telling me that no kid in Tennessee lives on a farm, or spends any time out in the woods, and/or has never seen an animal breed or being born? That's WAY more information than what this curriculum teaches--the curriculum just introduces the idea that all living things reproduce, whether it's a single cell, a plant, an animal or a person.

I don't get some of you AT ALL.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

It's not a new issue and it's not declining at the same rate of other first world countries.
You just said that teaching younger kids basic reproduction was a new thing (it's not, at least outside of the bible belt) and that it should be left to the parents?. Doesn't Texas teach abstinence only in the older grades?

How's that working for you?

Teen pregnancy rates nationwide are at a 40 year LOW, but they're higher than ever in abstinence only states.
http://www.livescience.com/27418-sta...ncy-rates.html

Old 09-01-2013, 09:45 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
You just said that teaching younger kids basic reproduction was a new thing (it's not, at least outside of the bible belt) and that it should be left to the parents?. Doesn't Texas teach abstinence only in the older grades?

How's that working for you?
In kindergarten and part of a national curriculum is certainly new.

No, Texas does not teach abstinence only.
The health books are the same ones used in California and talk about condoms, contraceptives, abortion, etc.
I've seen the books (middle school) and I've subbed in health classes (middle school).
Abstinence is encouraged and stated as the only 100% way not to get pregnant.

But we don't have condoms in the schools for students to get free.
Some of the inner city schools in Austin do provide student help through Communities in Schools.
It depends on the school and the area.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
It's not new in kindergarten for other areas of the country--just that it's part of a national curriculum now.

Maybe you guys SHOULD do something about it, because although the US in general is at a 40 year low with teen pregnancies, the numbers in states like Texas are higher than ever.
State With the Highest Teen Pregnancy Rate Is ... | State-by-State Abortion Rates | LiveScience
(I reposted the info because I edited my earlier post while you were responding)

Old 09-01-2013, 09:55 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Quote:

Sex ed, but not comprehensive sex ed, as evidenced by Mississippi abstinence only education. Saying "don't do it" is not comprehensive sex ed. Countries that have comprehensive sex ed have LOWER teen pregnancy rates. States here that have comprehensive sex ed tend to have lower teen pregnancy rates.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:56 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,331,642 times
Quote:
Wow! Just wow! So education about touch and reproduction is filth? It boggles the mind, and illustrates why the teen pregnancy rates are much higher in the bible belt.
So, how is avoiding this "filth" working out for you?

Old 09-01-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:

No, Texas does not teach abstinence only.
The health books are the same ones used in California and talk about condoms, contraceptives, abortion, etc.
I've seen the books (middle school) and I've subbed in health classes (middle school).
Abstinence is encouraged and stated as the only 100% way not to get pregnant.

But we don't have condoms in the schools for students to get free.
Some of the inner city schools in Austin do provide student help through Communities in Schools.
It depends on the school and the area.
I know you claim to be a great expert on education, even though you don't have a teaching degree, and you work part time in the schools as a substitute (teacher? para educator? Cafeteria worker? I'm not sure.)

Unfortunately for you, you're wrong on Texas and abstinence only education.
Editorial: Texas lawmakers push social agenda as teen pregnancy problem grows | Dallasnews.com - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

Old 09-01-2013, 10:02 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,331,642 times
Quote:
It is a new thing as it's starting in kindergarten now.
So you are saying that parents are not capable anymore and the state must take it over ?

Trying to recall when my son was 5..he didn't say penis and neither did his friends.
But that was back in the 90's and saying "weiner" was acceptable then.
I didn't know that using the biological names for body parts is the only acceptable way to describe them these days.

And I have not commented here as to whether I think this is a good thing or bad thing.
I think it's a personal decision by parents. I do think the school has a duty though to inform the parents and provide them with the option. Parents should not be finding this out after the fact or left to find out that they can opt out on their own.

Schools need to at least be up front in what they are doing.
Send a letter home first week of school explaining what is going to happen along with a slip saying yes or no.
The issue is that everything today defaults to "you're going to get it unless you opt out" and they don't inform you that you can opt out.

Opting out rather than opting is how it works today.
Well, if parents consider biology, anatomy and physiology to be "filth", then what makes you think they'll teach it at home?
Anyone who is so spectacularly repressed isn't going to say anything to their kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies