Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2013, 07:23 AM

764 posts, read 597,497 times

Advertisements

Can you guys just read the articles instead of headlines or biased/misleading summaries?

Old 09-01-2013, 08:30 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Then you can opt out your children.
I should have to pay for this crap, and opt out. These perverts in the school system need to get to teaching, not indoctrinating with their personal ideological beliefs, not trying to raise my children in their own image.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:33 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I should have to pay for this crap, and opt out. These perverts in the school system need to get to teaching, not indoctrinating with their personal ideological beliefs, not trying to raise my children in their own image.
Unfortunately we don't get to pick and choose what our taxes go to. If we were, all wars would be unfunded, and the MIC would be out of business.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:42 AM

13,425 posts, read 9,960,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I cant understand why anyone would want the federal government performing the role of parent to their children.
What a dangerous concept that is.
How is teaching biology performing the role of parent?

I'm serious.

Reproduction as a matter of biological fact has nothing to do with parenting. The fact that human beings have reproductive organs has nothing to do with parenting.

Imparting your values on when and why to engage said organs does. Why does knowing that there's a biological process for reproduction get in the way of that?

The process of reproduction exists and is not a matter of opinion. I would imagine it also takes a great deal of pressure off of parents who break out in hives about having "the talk" in some distant future.

If children are taught systematically and accurately about it as we teach everything else, then there's no need to worry that they're gathering misinformation or that they'll be too embarrassed to seek out knowledge they need when they need it.

If you know they're being taught the biology at school, what better time then to impart your values - age appropriately - as they learn?

I don't understand why explaining the role of penises and vaginas in humans biologically is only for parents and doesn't fall under the designation of normal education. Any more than the mechanics of eating and breathing would be. It's silly.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:42 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,208,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Why? Why would you have mental issues?

I don't see why any kid would be freaked out if you explain the very simple basics of sex. What would freak a kid out?

Capacity to understand what, exactly? That there's a biological mechanism for having babies? So what?

We explained it very simply to our 6 year old when she was five, when she asked about puppies.

She said "oh" and went back to playing.

Why wouldn't she? Being freaked out about sex is a purely adult construct. Kids who grow up on farms where animals breed don't have mental issues.

If you just treated it matter of factly like it's an actual fact of life, which it is, there wouldn't BE so many "mental issues" when it comes down to it.

It's completely ridiculous how people treat an essential human process that's akin to eating or sleeping, in that it's something we all need to do. Ridiculous.
This^^ I grew up on a ranch, and I live in a rural area now. Every single kid that I know has seen something being born, or animals breeding. It's about as matter of fact as it gets, and there's nothing "dirty" or "taboo" about it. Until recent generations, MOST people grew up on a farm or in the country. Were they over sexualized? Did our grandparents completely freak out that our parents understood what was going on when they bred the cows, or when a barn cat had kittens? The information above is a WHOLE LOT more information than the simple concept that all animals reproduce, which is what the curriculum in question calls for. It's very basic biology.

I think a bunch of people here are super unhealthy, and have a very distorted view of nature and life. I've raised 5 boys, and we always gave very simple, direct, matter of fact explanations when it came to body parts or reproduction. They accepted what we said and moved on. If they had questions, we gave them a little more detailed information, but let them ask the questions first. This isn't a religious issue--there's nothing "dirty" about nature. People who try to turn it into one are warped and sick. When you're opposed to talking to little kids about good touch/bad touch--to keep them SAFE--then there's something very twisted going on.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:50 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I think a bunch of people here are super unhealthy, and have a very distorted view of nature and life. I've raised 5 boys, and we always gave very simple, direct, matter of fact explanations when it came to body parts or reproduction. They accepted what we said and moved on. If they had questions, we gave them a little more detailed information, but let them ask the questions first. This isn't a religious issue--there's nothing "dirty" about nature. People who try to turn it into one are warped and sick. When you're opposed to talking to little kids about good touch/bad touch--to keep them SAFE--then there's something very twisted going on.
What changed that the overwhelming sentiment is that parents can no longer do that and it is now the responsibility of the government ?

Why are parents seen as not competent anymore ?

Rather than wait 5 years and teach the kids, why doesn't government have some type of parent education at the hospital before letting parents take their babies home ?

Isn't the better route educating parents to be competent parents ?
You don't break the cycle of ignorance by taking over what the parents are supposed to do.
That just leads to more dependence on the state to do what parents should be doing.

I see that directly with the free lunch that turned into free breakfast program at school.
It was supposed to be for kids that didn't get fed at home before school.
Now parents don't feed their kids at home because school does.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:58 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,208,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What changed that the overwhelming sentiment is that parents can no longer do that and it is now the responsibility of the government ?

Rather than wait 5 years and teach the kids, why doesn't government have some type of parent education at the hospital before letting parents take their babies home ?

Why do you keep thinking this is a new thing? I'm surprised this is such a big deal, because good touch/bad touch became part of health in the elementary schools my kids have been in since around 2000, right along with looking both ways before you cross the street, and stranger danger. Basic biology is part of any school science curriculum. If you've sent your child to school, and they don't know the proper name for their penis, then something's wrong with you as a parent. It's ANATOMY. Religion and values are something that ABSOLUTELY should be taught at home by parents, but science or public safety? If you think those belong outside of the realm of public schools, then you need to home school or put your kids in a private school. Then they can learn THIS.
4th-Grade 'Science Test' Goes Viral: Creationism Quiz Claims Dinosaurs Lived With People (PHOTO)

Old 09-01-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:

You don't break the cycle of ignorance by taking over what the parents are supposed to do.
That just leads to more dependence on the state to do what parents should be doing.

I see that directly with the free lunch that turned into free breakfast program at school.
It was supposed to be for kids that didn't get fed at home before school.
Now parents don't feed their kids at home because school does.
Why can't parents do it?

Why is this only something for parents to teach?

Should parents be the only people allowed to teach the digestive system?

Does the school teaching the digestive system prevent parents from not allowing their kids to eat cookies before dinner?

Old 09-01-2013, 09:01 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
This obsession with sex that America has is not healthy.
Politically, economically, financially and socially the top issues are sex related.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
This obsession with sex that America has is not healthy.
Politically, economically, financially and socially the top issues are sex related.
Well geez, I wonder why that is?

Educate the kids, take away the mystique regarding the actual biological purpose, remove the obsession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies