Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 12:18 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,350,009 times

Advertisements

We celebrated the 50th anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr.’s iconic “I Have a Dream” speech and the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom in a ceremony that was capped off by the Commander in Chief himself. I watched as speaker after speaker paid homage to the late great civil rights leader and gave their rallying cries to the masses to fight on. It was beautiful moment and offered a glimpse into history for those like myself who weren’t alive during the original march.

The only damper on the ceremony was the dreary weather that hovered over the nation’s capital yesterday, but given the status of the goals of the original march, jobs and freedom; the backdrop was perfect. As far as the forecast of jobs and freedom goes, the rain may have stopped but it’s still cloudy.

While we definitely have made a lot of progress in the fight for civil rights, we are still far from achieving the economic freedom that King dreamed about. The economic plight of the African-American community may be much improved from the era of racially restrictive housing covenants and massive redlining (a practice by which banks avoided giving loans to minorities or for projects in minority neighborhoods) but we still find ourselves in an era where the median white family’s wealth is more than 20 times greater than that of the median black family.

There is much work to be done and this problem will be more difficult to eradicate than other issues of the civil rights struggle. Unlike discriminatory hiring practices or racially restrictive housing covenants, there are no laws that can serve as a quick fix to the problem. It is far too complex.

Let
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 12:20 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,777,855 times
seems to me like the blacks need to step it up.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:21 PM

12,265 posts, read 6,505,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
The wealth gap isn`t confined to 1 race.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
The wealth gap isn`t confined to 1 race.
sounds to me like the minorities need to step it up, and quit whining.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:24 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,207,581 times
Quote:
I am no expert in such things. But I'd love to see the results of the loans to minorities or for projects in minority neighborhoods that have been given in say....oh....the past 20 years.

Does anyone have any success stories to share? I'm waiting. (I'm not holding my breath, however).

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-31-2013, 12:25 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,245,501 times
Quote:
Indeed. Something like 70% of black children are born to single mothers. Mainstream black "culture" frowns on education attainment while glorifying ghetto thug lifestyle, violence, and lawlessness.

The Democratic Party continues to push a dependency agenda, pushing the fallacious notion that all blacks are helpless victims, and incapable of self reliance and self determination.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I am no expert in such things. But I'd love to see the results of the loans to minorities or for projects in minority neighborhoods that have been given in say....oh....the past 20 years.

Does anyone have any success stories to share? I'm waiting. (I'm not holding my breath, however).

20yrsinBranson
the community reinvestment act was a success. wait, no it wasn't.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:28 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,291,173 times
The gap is tied into education. Why do you think Asians have the highest earnings and median wealth?

Old 08-31-2013, 12:28 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,561,434 times
Quote:
sounds to me like the minorities need to step it up, and quit whining.
poor people need to step it up and quit whining.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:30 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,816,906 times
Okay, so we take more money from the rich, that's totally doable. But how do we get those perpetually stuck in the safety nets back into a productive existence? There's many variables to this problem.

I just watched the documentary Park Avenue: Money, Power and the American Dream

I appreciated that it tried to be bipartisan, but didn't focus enough on Chuck Schumer shelving the tax reform bill which would have removed the carried interest loophole that the super-wealthy use to keep from paying their fair share. He said he'd do one thing, and then did another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies