Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2013, 11:39 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,510,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
The bakery is located in Oregon which does not recognize same sex “weddings”.
I don't know how many states are like Oregon --- laws banning discrimination based on sexual orientation, but not allowing gay marriage. If the bakers had a policy of not providing goods for any activity that is illegal in Oregon, who knows, maybe they'd have been able to beat the law.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:46 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,778,898 times
I certainly think the threats and nasty emails to this woman were quite uncalled for and should be investigated. However, people have every right to boycott a business who they deem is being prejudicial. My biggest issue with this woman's views is that she's being completely hypocritical, yet pulling the "holier than thou" Christian card.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:57 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,214,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I don't know how many states are like Oregon --- laws banning discrimination based on sexual orientation, but not allowing gay marriage. If the bakers had a policy of not providing goods for any activity that is illegal in Oregon, who knows, maybe they'd have been able to beat the law.
If you are a same sex couple the state does not recognize the marriage, but having a ceremony is not illegal.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:08 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Making the cake is participating; contributing to the wedding. Does a costume designer or set builder have nothing to do with a stage production? They're not performing, but they contribute to the event.

Either way, someone is being discriminated against, but it seems there are many who don't consider what happened to these bakers to be discrimination. Bake this cake that violates your religious beliefs, or we're going to sue you and destroy your business.
They are not a Christian non-profit only straights allowed wedding cake company, they are just a wedding cake company and discrimination against their customers is illegal. It would be just as illegal for them to say they don't make wedding cakes for Jews or blacks or old people or any of the other protected classes in this country.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
The lesbians wanted the wedding cake for a homosexual “wedding” which the state of Oregon does not recognize.
Same sex civil unions do exist in Oregon, and same sex marriage is legal in Washington. The wedding could of been with their neighbors to the north. But that doesn't matter because it is illegal to discriminate. They were asking for a cake for a wedding, there is no difference between a gay and straight wedding cake.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
That doesn't matter, it would be no different than my wife and I going to their store to buy a wedding cake and giving it to our lesbian friends who are going to get married. At that point, I own the cake, not the baker.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
I got no problem with some or many people not doing business with the baker. It's their prerogative.

After 99 pages -- did some people actually read Oregon's law, in its entirety, and Federal Statute on the public accommodations? I posted those links some pages ago.

There is clearly no law broken here. Just intimidation, public condemnation by some, death threats by others, and legal threat by the Civil Right Division, to make an example out of this baker, so that others can comply or else. Soviet-style tactics, guaranteed to back-fire, as they always have.
This business upset their customer base and learned the harsh realities of that effect. This is how the free market works, the customer is always right. That is the motto in the hotel industry.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:17 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,671,879 times
Quote:
Irrelevant.

Here in Minnesota, it is illegal to refuse a business engagement upon the basis of a number of factors, sexual orientation being one of them. (Also, a "wedding" is different than a "marriage.")

Old 09-09-2013, 01:36 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,557,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
How do you know the bakery would have made a cake for this couple for a different event? Did they tell you they would?

How are you able to speak for them? How do you know what they would or would not do?

And I agree that the fact this bakery sold a few cupcakes (or whatever) to this couple previously means diddly. For one thing, the bakers may not have even known these women were a couple until they wanted to order a wedding cake. For another, I've always suspected the tattooed (hypocritical) husband is the one, who for whatever reasons which personally I think have very little to do with religion, had a problem with this couple - he may not have even been in the bakery when they were in before.
is it guilty until proven innocent or innocent until proven guilt?

Old 09-09-2013, 01:40 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,557,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Hahaha..........

And so will you when same sex marriage is legal in all fifty states.

Be afraid......be very afraid.
I will never follow anti semetic laws
If these gay terrorist dogs came to me to force me to bake them a cake, they would get one laced with cyanide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies